2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 16 of 18)

Sep 192008

My 2004 Toyota Sienna xle has the driver's side automatic sliding door (for passengers in the back) that occasionally will not open, other times will not close, and sometimes after opening it will close uncommanded. In my opinion this is definitely a safety issue that Toyota is unwilling to recognize. This problem is widely reported by several Toyota Sienna owners. Evidently the automatic door has a mechanism that will prevent the door from opening, or close it automatically is already open if it "thinks" the fuel cap is open. Luckily my kids were not injured, but had they been standing neat the door they would have been trapped by it. Also, should a rapid escape from the car be necessary, it would be impossible to use the passenger sliding door as an emergency exit.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 142008

I have an 04 Toyota Sienna with power sliding doors. The left sliding door cable snapped and stopped opening automatically. The cable was hanging on the outside. It was frayed and rusty. The door now is not functional by manual or electric. When I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership, I was told that the repair cost was $2498 and that the motor, mounting brackets and other various parts would need to be replaced. I have a hard time swallowing the thought of this cost considering the cable is rusted and broke in half with no fault of my own. Although I am out of warranty period, I would think this problem, would need to be consider or looked into as a recall for this vehicle considering it is a very common complaint with 04 Sienna's. you would like that with the cost of the vehicle, something like a rusty cable cord would not need to be worry. Nor would having to pay an additional $2500 out of pocket to correct a vehicle defect. I have had 4 Toyota vehicles not including this one. I currently have an 04 xle limited Sienna and paid a large amount of money for this vehicle not thinking that a Toyota nor the model would need an extended warranty. Any consideration in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I have a spouse who is serving 15 months in iraq to try and make a difference in our society and it is a shame that I can not get any assistance or help with an issue that seems to be a manufacturer defect.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Sep 172008

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle limited edition mini van. It has been into the dealer before because the power sliding doors would freeze up in the winter and you could not get it open. Now it is summer time and the wiring that allows the power slide door to slide just snapped! my 5 year old son opened the door by pushing the button and snap! then the door was partially open and didn't want to close all the way yet wouldn't slide open either. Upon inspection of the wiring it appears weathered. Meaning rusted. When I called the dealership I was told it would be $1200 for the part. When I complained about the price I was told the option was to not use the door. Well of course that is an option but not a very good one. What is the point of having power sliding doors if you can't use them. And if this is the case for the power sliding door on the left then how long before the power sliding door on the right does the same?

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Sep 092008

The power passenger side sliding door on my 2004 Toyota Sienna le with just over 50,000 became jammed in the open position due to a cable rusting and breaking. This resulted in having to drive with children in the vehicle with the door open. Once a second fraying cable was cut, the door is now in stuck in the locked position and occupants have to enter the vehicle from the drivers door which faces traffic. Working on getting this problem fixed, but Toyota is aware of the problem since their is a tsb EL004-04, but is not helping in getting it done. Initial estimates are over $2000. This problem should be classified as a recall.

- Sleepy Hollow, NY, USA

Jan 212007

The sliding doors on my 2004 Toyota Sienna freeze up in the winter. This concerns me because I can not open the doors. Therefore my children need to climb into the front of the van to get out or climb in the back and exit the vehicle through the hatchback. They must also enter the van through the front driver's door or the front passenger door. In the event of an emergency, my children will be at risk because they are not able to exit the vehicle properly.

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Jul 172007

I have owned Toyota all my life, so when I bought my 2004 Toyota Sienna xle, I thought I was getting a quality mini van. Beginning in July 2007, the automatic doors on both sides began not working. Sometimes they would close, sometimes I would manually have to shut them. I brought the van to Toyota and was told that it would be $1500 plus to fix it. Not in my budget, I decided to deal with the problem. A year later, my van was in for it's 60,000 mile check up and I was told that the hinges on the doors needed replacing and it would cost $500. I reported this discrepancy to the service manager and was given the run around as to what the problem with the doors really is. I still have the problem and I hope that this is not the beginning of a series in costly repairs that I will have to make. Maybe it's time to trade in my mini van.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 012007

Problem with sliding doors without warning passenger side sliding power feature stopped working. There was a broken cable hanging from rear passenger window. When door was opened again by handle there were sounds of parts breaking inside door. Took the van to Toyota dealership they said they had never seen the problem before, we would have to pay for repair. Approximately 1 year later the drivers side sliding door went, same problem. I now use both doors manually and have the power feature turned off I can't afford to have the doors power feature repaired, approximately $ $3600. I contacted Toyota both times they said there was nothing they could do about it. I've seen many complaints about this on the internet and can't believe Toyota will do nothing for us.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Aug 012007

Left rear manual sliding door on 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan will not open from inside or out. 1st occurrence was approximately August 2007. Was repaired and broke again approximately May 2008.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Sep 042008

Power side door cable snapped making it difficult to open driver side sliding door and extract child from childseat.

- Grove City, PA, USA

Sep 022008

The passenger sliding door will not open due to faulty latch. The driver's side sliding door latch was already replaced outside warranty. I contacted the dealer and Toyota. Both parties said there was nothing they could do.

- Stormville, NY, USA

May 102008

Sliding door issues. I took the vehicle in because the driver's side door wasn't functioning at all automatically and the passenger side door was freezing and not working automatically all the time. The dealership replaced the cable and motor on the drivers side and told me that there was an obstruction causing my problems with the passenger side door (a pokeman card). The was in the spring of 2008. Now in the fall of 2008 I went to the dealer because the passenger door isn't working at all. They have told me it will be $2400 for the repair.

- Amherst, NH, USA

Aug 012008

Bought 2004 Toyota Sienna in Sept. 06. van has 40K miles and has an out of alignment right passenger motorized door failure. Door rubs against body and makes grinding noise as it closes. Also driver door has collapsed glass. Dealer wants 100-300 just to inspect and report problem to extended platinum care warranty I purchased. I called extra care (platinum care 7 year or 100K) who mentioned that problem might possibly be covered. Toyota needs to recall the passenger sliding door too many problems posted on internet blogs.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Aug 012008

2004 Toyota Sienna - passenger side sliding door won't open. At first, it wouldn't open from the outside, but using the power button inside would let it open. Now even that doesn't work and the door is useless. Dealer said the part to fix this (actuator) is $700, plus labor. I see many people reporting this problem on various forums, so it seems to be a widespread defect.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Aug 292008

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan that we have had numerous problems with the passenger side rear automatic door. Tonight when opening the door to take my newborn out I heard a loud snap, the cable had snapped. After closing the door I am still unable to open it at all, even after turning off the automatic door button. Looking at the cable it appears to be rusted and frayed. It is my understanding that this is not an issue that Toyota will repair under warranty and feel that it should be. This appears to be a defect in their workmanship and parts. I feel this needs to be investigated.

- Walden, NY, USA

Aug 202008

2004 Toyota Sienna - passenger-side automatic sliding door cable snapped. Door will not open or close. Repair shop removed door, found motor and cable assembly broken and latches and cables sprung. Service advisor said we had to replace motor and cable assembly and both front and rear latch and cable assemblies. Parts are $2671, labor estimate $446. Parts were prepaid. Repair is schedule for 8/28/08.

- Vestal, NY, USA

Jun 192008

The rear passanger power door stopped opening and closing under power. Will only work now if we manually open and close it.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Mar 102007

Right side passenger door will not open. It is an automatic sliding door, but the door failed to open 6 months ago and will not open manually. This is an extreme danger and have been told it will cost 1800 dollars to fix. It should at least open manually, but will not. Now I would have to spend 1,800 dollars I do not have.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 262008

The passenger side sliding door cable cam loose and snapped.

- Saint Simons Island, GA, USA

Aug 242008

My 2004 Sienna sliding doors have failed numerous times by not opening. This happened off and on for a year. In spring of 2008 the driver side sliding door opened and would not slide back. The cable was broken and it cost us over $1100 to have it fixed and that was with a $500 goodwill credit from the dealership. Now the passenger side door has the exact same problem. After reading some other complaints and looking it up on the internet I have to ask how Toyota can ignore such a serious and dangerous issue with a car that is only 4 years old. I have a Toyota service bulletin from April 19, 2004 that states there was a production change made on the doors, but my car was produced before this. Why wouldn't Toyota be responsible enough to fix the cars prior to the change?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 222008

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle limited. My passenger sliding door failed. You couldn't open it from the outside and if you opened it from the inside the door would not stay closed. It cost me $1800 to fix the sensor and the motor that holds the door closed. I called Toyota to complain and out of good will, they offered to pay half of the bill. The day after I got the passenger side door fixed, the other sliding door has now failed - the drivers side door. It will not stay closed. I have a call in to the dealer to discuss this. Also, my rear hatch would not stay up and almost took off my 6 year old son's head when it came flying down on him. Toyota finally issued a recall on the pistons, so they were replaced for free. So, all three of my mechanical doors have failed.

- Dover, MA, USA