2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Mar 012012

Passenger door does not work. We purchased vehicle used and they said they had the door disconnected from the electrical buttons so it is manual only. I see resources online that say there is a cable that frays making the door unable to open or close. March 2012 is when we purchased vehicle from previous owner. Door was not working at that time.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Mar 112016

Driver door arm/hinge has pushed through and tore the metal in the door frame from what appears to be a bad weld according to online resources of people reporting similar problems. We bought the vehicle used and had no information that may have been sent to previous owners prior to March 2012. Door was making a popping noise when you would open or shut it. One day I couldn't roll down my window all of the way when the door was closed. When the door was open the window would roll down normally. We looked inside of the door to see what was causing it and noticed the arm was inside of the door with torn metal attached to it. Looks like the arm was defected and eventually pushed through the door frame ripping the metal. Date of March 2016 is when the window stopped rolling down all of the way. The noises were happening for years.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jun 162016

Passenger side power sliding door stuck half-way due to frayed power cable. Door cannot fully open nor fully close.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Nov 012011

Door has a broken weld, the whole door swings open as the weld is the stopping device. This is a manufacture defect and I am not able to get help from Toyota on this as it has been broke for over 4 years.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 022016

Automatic passenger sliding door not working. The cable became frail and it is not opening and I have to cut the cable off to open the door.

- Chino Hills,, CA, USA

May 142016

There is a popping noise from the passenger door. Apparently it was a same problem with the driver side door that Toyota had repaired. It was the welding of the support to the door that become loose. Simply put it, they have problem with the welding of the doors. They have repair once on the driver side and the passenger side is happening again. I am afraid the door will come off. I have told their service department but they refuse to repair it.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Jan 112016

The driver's side sliding door no longer opens/closes when the buttons are pushed (from the ceiling in the front, from a remote key, and from the button right next to the door.)

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 142016

The right passenger sliding door cable has frayed to the point that the door will not open or close.

- Mt. Carmel, TN, USA

Apr 182016

Takata recall I have a Toyota Sienna 2004. Last year, the sliding door cable was broken and it was just past the warranty. I had to pay $1,200 to have it fixed as the door could be open. And then after a few month, the door can't open automatically and the dealer said a motor failure which would cost another $1,000. I heard a lot of complaints about Toyota Sienna sliding door and unfortunate I am one of the victims. I urge Toyota to take the responsibility and pay customers back.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 112016

Passenger power sliding door won't open or close. Door actuator not working

- Silverton, OR, USA

Apr 042011

Sliding doors typically freeze shut in winter, even when water is not present (I.e. garaged). Renders ingress and egress impossibly through these doors. Also, motors and door bearings wear to the point of power doors becoming inoperable or place them in contact with the body of he vehicle. Multiple owners report these and related/similar issues.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 022016

Front driver side door started making popping noise when opening and closing. The car has only 105,000 miles at time of start of problem.I have read that there are numerous Sienna owners of varying model years who have the same problem. Caused by a failing door check. It is an annoyingly loud sound and as the vehicle owner I am concerned about the inherent dangers from further deterioration. What if I am unable to open the door in an emergency" can the door fall off? what about potential injury to bystanders? what will it take for Toyota to do a full recall? injuries, deaths and lawsuits" this problem is not due to careless use of the vehicle. This is due to shoddy workmanship by the manufacturer - Toyota. Their ability to manufacture reliable products is becoming increasingly suspect. They don't seem to be willing to take full responsibility for this problem they created. They sent me a letter saying the warranty on the van to cover this defect has been extended to 5 years and 100,000 miles. Well, I bought this vehicle new in 2004 and now it has 105,000 miles (the point at which the problem began). That is a useless warranty. They need to take full responsibility for a manufactured defect and provide warrantied replacement to consumers who had faith in them and purchased their product. This is a $2000 fix to replace the door that they need to take responsibility for.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Feb 062016

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side sliding door cable fractured and caused the door not to open. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cable connector needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage 162,000.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Mar 052016

The front door check has come loose and "pops" when opening/closing. This results in the door swinging shut without warning and could easily cause physical harm to an adult and severe harm to a smaller child. Toyota issued a severely limited "technical service bulletin" that only extended coverage for this defect to 5 years/100,000 (whichever came first). However, the average person does not drive 20,000 miles per year so the problem is now showing up en masse and Toyota is refusing to fix the known issue. My 2004 Sienna started showing signs of this defect before it reached 100,000 miles recently but because it was beyond 5 years they have refused to address this safety/performance issue that has been previously acknowledged by Toyota to affect as many as 600,000 vehicles. Unlike numerous other technical and safety issues Toyota has recalled on this same range of Siennas this defect was purposefully listed as a "technical service bulletin" with a severely limited extension with the knowledge that the vast majority of owners would be beyond the extension before they began experiencing the problem. There are numerous reports of doors getting stuck, falling open, swinging shut unexpectedly as a result of this issue and should be corrected by Toyota under a full recall.

- Denton, TX, USA

Mar 022016

Rear back door flew open and unable to latch while driving on parkway.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Both passengers door quit shutting or opening from inside or outside. Since they are electronically opened and closed they would not open manually. One door opens just about 5 inches and automatically shuts again. This door has not opened in about 6 months. This is the door on drivers side but second seats with sliding door. Passenger side door second seat opens and closes intermittently, sometimes it opens sometimes not. It has almost shut my pets trying to go out the door and automatically will shut back. It started doing this around the same time the other door stopped opening and shutting. I mentioned this to the dealership but they brushed me off. The front drivers door started making a noise when opening and would close by itself when just parked and made a popping noise when opened. Also told this to dealership with same results. Vehicle parked when all occurrences happened. Had to pull over one time off side of road to see why I couldn't open doors for I had a small 3 yr old child in a car seat and was hard to get her out through the passenger front door from back set of seats.

- Lyons, GA, USA

Oct 142014

There was a recall on the back hatch door. I reported to the dealership of purchase and complained that the back door hatch sometimes did not close properly and in the midst or opening whether electronically or manually would come down again while putting groceries etc in the back and several times was hit on the head or back and also my grandson. Vehicle was parked in a parking lot and/or at my house. It happens 1 out of 10-20 times opening back hatch.

- Lyons, GA, USA

Feb 152016

I was driving from a major city highway onto a freeway. I was going 50mph and accelerating to the appropriate freeway speed of 60mph. At that time, I realized my rear wing windows were open (it opens at the rear of the car at an angle of about 1 inch) and I pressed the automatic closure button. I heard a loud ┐pop┐ on the passenger side. I looked back and the window was gone. I pulled over to the side of the highway immediately. A car/Jeep with a family in it pulled up behind me. They were hit by the window coming off of my vehicle. Thank god no one was hurt, but it did cause damage to their vehicle. It shook both them and myself up. A window flying from a car on a highway could have seriously caused damage and injuries. We were very lucky. I called 911 to report that there was window debris on the highway, and told them where it was. That way I would not cause an accident. Prior to this happening, there had never been any problems with our wing windows. At the time of the incident it was just past 9pm, I was going home from work and it was dark. I was accelerating from 50 to 60 on a highway. We live in the greater seattle area so the road conditions are always wet but it was not raining. It was about 55 degrees F outside. My theory about what happened to the window (coming from an engineering student) is that the plastic ball joint separated from its shoulder. The window caught the wind from the acceleration and the hinges were pulled off of their anchor. However, obviously this is only speculation. I have contacted my insurance company and got a quote from the Toyota dealership. Unfortunately, when I contacted Toyota headquarters they were not interested and could not give me an explanation. I decided to contact you because I think there is a safety hazard with this window that should be looked into. Parts shouldn┐T just detach from a vehicle.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Feb 052016

Rear passenger electric sliding door does not open or close and failed one day. The door latch assembly is electrically operated and there is no manual override. The door can only be operated electrically and cannot be opened manually at all with out making a $1500 - $3500 repair to replace the faulty electrical system (door latch assembly and door motor) of the vehicle. This is a potentially life threatening situation for small children since if there is an accident how are you going to get the children out of the vehicle since the door cannot be operated manually? this issue needs to be investigated and a total recall of all electrical door assemblies need to be made for all years affected and a manual override needs to be engineered such that children's lives are not at risk due to faulty engineering.

- Ijamsville, MD, USA

May 152015

Both sliding doors broke within 6 months of one another; one still operates manually, the other cannot be opened at all. Toyota states the $3000 repair will not be converted under warranty though this appears to a very frequent problem discussed on online chatrooms.

- San Rafael, CA, USA