2004 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 262012

Sienna 6-cyl

Vsc (vehicle stability control) is activated in curves at speeds between 25 mph and 60 mph. Surface is dry and curves are gradual with appropriate and safe driving speeds. The vsc light goes on and warning buzzer goes off. The brakes shudder and the vehicle is de-throttled. Vehicle control is reduced for 3 to 5 seconds and then the vsc deactivates. Concerned that this will be a problem when the road surface is slick. Dealer could not find malfunction codes and could not duplicate problem so no fix. This situation occurs almost every day at least once. Keeping incident log. Web sites indicate this could be steering sensor calibration. Dealer cleaned sensor parts and this did not resolve problem. Contacted Toyota and they said to continue working with the dealer. Tsb is out for yaw sensor failure and steering calibration.

- Fairview, NC, USA

Nov 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while at a complete stop the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle accelerated through a parking lot and crashed into two vehicles. The failure was the third occurrence since of unintended acceleration in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken by the United States automobile association and was being held in storage. The vehicle was not inspected for the cause of the failure. The failure and the current mileages were 97,000. Updated 12/13/12 the consumer the first occurence, on January 11/2012, the vehicle was being backed out of a parking space, then the vehicle acclerated. A light fixture was damaged on a side walk. The next occurence, on January 26, 2012, the vehicle was being pulled into a parking space, the vehicle ran over the curb and damaged a disability sign. Updated 1/2/2013

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Sep 132012

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While stopped in parking space with the gear in reverse, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a lamp post. The failure occurred a second time while stopped on an incline with the brake pedal depressed. The contact then crashed into two other vehicles. The police reported to the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto shop where it was inspected by the insurance company. The vehicle was deemed as destroyed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Apr 152009

Sienna 6-cyl

The vsc has activated multiple times on my van for no apparent reason. While driving at any speed and usually in a turn, the vsc light will flash, the warning beep will beep, and the ABS brakes will automatically be applied and the engine will quickly decelerate. I have almost been rear-ended several times because the van will suddenly decide to decelerate. I have no control over when this happens and no control of the van when it does!

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Mar 052012

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle speed control warning light illuminated and the front driver side wheel hesitated. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle lost power abnormally. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Long Grove, IL, USA

Nov 302011

As car was being driven in a parking lot the brakes were suddenly applied as the vsc dashboard light was lite. The car vibrated and slowed in a near stop. Brake pedal was nearly useless. The conditions were clear with a dry mostly level pavement. Attempted to drive vehicle about one mile to home not knowing if incident would be repeated. However, it was repeated without warning about every 5 to 10 seconds. Speed never exceeded about 10 miles per hour.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Aug 012011

The vehicle stability control has been engaging when it should not be. While driving at moderate speeds, into a slight turn, the vsc engages for a few seconds slowing down the car. It has been doing this now for the past few months while driving at moderate speeds when it should not be engaging. It is a little disconcerting when this happens being I know that it should not be doing this at that time.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Feb 262011

Sienna 6-cyl

Driving my 2004 Toyota Sienna 65mph on the highway on dry pavement the vsc light went on, a buzzer sounded, and I was unable to steer or brake the vehicle. The steering wheel started moving rapidly right and left causing the car to fishtail and the brake pedal went going in and out on its own. Everything went back to normal after about 20 seconds or so, and I pulled off into the breakdown lane. I then pulled out again slowly to get my car in a safer area and it happened again. This time I was going much slower but it was horrifying none the less. I then pulled off the road and had the car towed to the Toyota dealer. I found that a technical service bulletin had been issued on my car in 2005 and that the steering angle sensor was the culprit. The bulletin says that "some customers may experience an intermittent vsc activation." Owners of the 2004 Sienna have not been notified of this problem, which after experiencing is clearly a safety issue, and there should have been a recall rather than a tsb. The tsb seems cleverly worded to avoid the fact that a driver could loose all control of the steering wheel and brakes which is clearly a safety issue.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Feb 222011

The contact owns 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while attempting to enter a parking space, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed into a concrete wall. The air bags then deployed and the contact sustained injuries to the knee after striking the steering wheel. The manufacturer was not contacted in regards to the failure nor was the vehicle taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The repairs and failure were being handled by the contacts insurance company. The vehicle was towed to an auto repair center. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Copley, OH, USA

Dec 242010

Sienna 6-cyl

2004 Toyota Sienna van, the vehicle stability control system (vsc) goes into skid prevention mode and automatically applies the brakes, disconnects the accelerator, and selects one side or wheel to apply braking force to. This has the effect of causing the car to shudder, skid and move dangerously close to the outside edge of a curve. This has occurred 15-20 times in my car since its purchase. I have taken it for repair by the dealer three times. Some "rusted" parts were replaced the first time. The next two times, I was told the vehicle was working properly. The vsc activated at speeds that were at or below the speed limit and in conditions where no realistic possibility of a skd was present. The problem is intermittent as I have driven over the same roads at the same or higher speeds for years without activation of the vsc. When it does activate it is frightening, and it causes a significant danger of losing control of the car or veering out of your lane. After a period of no activity, I have suddenly had 7 incidents in the last week occurring between Dec. 24, 2010 and January 2, 2011.the problem first arose approximately three years ago. There have been 4 or 5 isolated incidents, but now there has been a serious and dramatic increase in the frequency of the vsc failure.

- Half Moon Bay, CA, USA

Oct 012010

While parking our 2004 Toyota Sienna mini van, taking my foot off the accelerator and stepping on the brake pad, the vehicle began to accelerate rapidly. The acceleration was so rapid that the tires squealed as if they were burning rubber. The vehicle stopped when it hit a parked car in front of me.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Sep 272005

I was driving into a parking space at approx 10 mph when the vehicle accelerated while I was parking it. Thank god a tree was in front of the space or I would have hit a person or vehicle. It happened on 9/27/2005 and I was told I must have hit the gas. Since my husband works for a Toyota dealership I let it go. I now realize I should report it to you as my husband knows of other accidents since then. The vehicle was a 2004 Toyota Sienna which was not included in the recall.

- Newtown Sq, PA, USA

Apr 102010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated while driving at relatively low speeds of 3 mph and removing her foot from the accelerator pedal, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and proceeded to crash into a cement pole. She suffered injuries to her knees and there was substantial front end damage to the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where they repaired the vehicle body damage. The dealer was unable to locate or duplicate the unwarranted acceleration failure. The failure and current mileages were 106,000.

- Canton, GA, USA

Apr 032010

I was driving in the middle lane on a three lane road. I arrived at a traffic light and came to a complete stop. I was standing in a traffic light with my foot on the brake. Standing in the same traffic light, there were many cars in front of my vehicle and several cars behind my vehicle. Suddenly, I felt my vehicle was attempting to move and smelled burning rubber from the right front tire. At the same time my foot was still applied firmly to the brakes and my vehicle jumped with a great force colliding with the vehicle in front me, which caused another impact and a third impact. The point of impact on my vehicle was the right side of the front of the vehicle. The left front tire was only two weeks oldand the other three tires were approximately 12,000 miles. The two front air bags deployed and the vehicle was totaled. My daughter was in the front passenger seat and suffered a tiny fracture in the rip cage as a result of the airbag impact. This was the first time we had experienced a case of sudden acceleration.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 262009

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the contact eased pressure off the accelerator pedal but the vehicle suddenly accelerated. He depressed the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from crashing into another vehicle in front. The vehicle continued to accelerate until he turned off the ignition. When he restarted the vehicle, it seemed to function normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where he was informed that the problem was caused by the floor mat. The VIN was unavailable at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were unknown. Updated 06/25/10. Updated 06/29/10.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Apr 072010

Ltr fwd fm (wi) re Toyota vehicles incidents of sudden unintended acceleration fm owner of a 2004 Toyota Sienna experienced an incident. The consumer stated the vehicle accelerated between 95-100 mph before she was able to shut the vehicle off. She had both feet on the brake, pressing as hard as she could. The dealership suggested it was the foot feed rubbing against the floor mat, but when she looked down at the floor mat, it didn't appear that was the problem.

- Monroe, WI, USA

Jan 212010

I was accelerating away from a traffic light, making a left turn from 1300 East onto ft. Union blvd, and the vehicle continued to accelerate rapidly even after I removed my foot from the accelerator. I promptly placed the transmission in neutral, braked rapidly, and narrowly avoided rear-ending the car in front of me. I could not tell if the gas pedal was stuck on the floor mats, but rearranged them quickly and the engine rpms quickly dropped to an idle speed. This was the only time this has occurred. Several days later, I took the car to the local Toyota dealer, larry miller of murray, ut. I spoke with the manager about the problem, he examined my car, informed me that it was not part of the recall, asserted that there had been no reports of issues with the 2004 Sienna, and that the pedal on my car was not of the type implicated in the recalls. He had me take the car to their service department for further inspection and testing. They did not find any failure codes present and no check lights were on. They test drove the car 10 miles, but were unable to replicate the problem. No parts were repaired nor replaced. No further action was taken by them.

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 102000

2004 Toyota Sienna lurches upon acceleration after braking. After breaking for a turn or any other reason the car will not respond to acceleration and then lurch or accelerate quickly. I was told by Toyota that this was a electronic function of the car and it is normal. This is not normal and will lead to transmission repairs or an accident. This occurs all the time and has not been repaired.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 062010

2004 Toyota Sienna - erratic RPM in drive, smog stations are not able to do the test, due to alleged car electronics control issue. This is the first ever smog test that was requested by California dmv for this new vehicle after 5-years of use.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Mar 162009

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna, it is not recalled. My Toyota van would struggle to get moving especially going up a small incline I would have to push the gas pedal to the floor(the cars rpms would race) in order for it to move, it was like gasping for air. I brought it to Toyota and they ran the tests and said nothing was wrong, in the end they claimed it was the floor mat preventing the gas peddle from operating properly. Not possible the floor mat was not out of place because of stains on the floor. The floor mat is heavy and does not slide around. Now I am frustrated so brought it to cottmans automotive and they ran the computer on it and said nothing came up on the computer as not working, if it keeps doing it bring it back. Well now I know whether it comes out or not this is a computer problem. It does not show up on the computer tests they run and you can not duplicate the problem on demand. With all the troubles occurring with Toyota, they are trying to blame it all on floor mats, a computer problem would be much more costly to repair sometimes computers can take control. I find it very interesting my problem and now the problem with acceleration is all blamed on floor mats? my Sienna is still having the same problem not able to accelerate and jerks when it does get going. This is our 4th Toyota and we have never had any trouble. In all my years as L loyal Toyota customer I find this very sad. Thank you

- Woodbridge, VA, USA