2004 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Oct 242008

Sienna

Sudden acceleration bank drive through after completing business transaction. After stepping on the accelerator car leaped forward suddenly going over a bermans crashing into two vehiclesd amaging both my vehicle was totalled

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Jan 182010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph into the residence garage. The driver applied pressure to the brake pedal, followed by an intended acceleration. Suddenly, the vehicle crashed into the garage wall. There were no personal injuries. The license plate was damaged. The vehicle has not been inspected for the malfunction. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Lee Summit , MO, USA

Mar 152009

Sienna

Failure of the adaptive cruise control module on a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle limited. The adaptive cruise control module, located under the front bumper on the passenger side, fails completely and continuously resulting in complete failure of the cruise control system. The module is not sealed properly thereby allowing moisture inside resulting in corrosion and failure of the part. When actuated, the part is designed to automatically slow the vehicle while approaching slower traffic from behind. Failure of this part while driving could result in an accident if the module does not automatically slow the vehicle properly. The vehicle in question has only 85,000 miles on it. The vehicle has 88,000 miles on it know. The vehicle was taken to kelso Toyota in appleton, wi where I was told that the unit need to be replaced. I disassembled the unit and found the corrosion. I believe the deal would simply replace the unit with new and then discard the old unit not knowing why it failed. I believe the wrong oring material was used. I believe in cold weather the oring shrinks allowing water into the modules cabinet resulting in the failure.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Nov 272009

Sienna

Toyota Sienna le 2004 suddenly accelerated while brake pedal was pressed on a parking. Car crashed into the wall because it was only a few feet in front of the vehicle.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 292009

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. After leaving a complete stop, the vehicle accelerated 15 mph past the intended speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection. A technician concluded that the ECM needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 97500.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jan 052008

Sienna

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. I was only driving at 10 mph out of a parking lot when I realized the vsc was activated even though the vehicle was not in a skid situation or on a slippery pavement. Whenever I reached more than 6mph, vsc activated and broke the speed down to 5 mph. I could only drive at 5mph without getting vsc activated. Had to get a fairfax city police escort to the nearest Toyota dealer. This is definitely a safety hazard and with all the occurrences of reports found on the internet, Toyota should be requested to issue a recall for repair. I understand this has been a problem with other Toyota vehicles. See rav4faq.kerkerinck.de/XA2/tsb/files/cp4010_0_1_vsc_stoerung.pdf.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Dec 182008

Sienna

I have 2004 AWD Sienna. A week ago, when I started the car in a freezing morning and drove in subdivision road, the slippery light and beep came on and the brake acted here and there on the wheels. At the very beginning, I thought the road was slippery. But it was not the case. There was no way my van was skidding all the time. I was only driving at 10 mph. Then I realized the vsc was wrongly activated. Whenever I get to more than 10mph, vsc got activated and broke the speed down to 5 mph. I could only drive at 5mph without getting vsc activated. Then I realized I could not drive this van on the road. I parked it back in garage. The next day, my wife drove it out of the garage and got the same symptom. We put the van back to garage for another 3 days before I was about to call a tow truck to tow it to a dealer for examination. I tried it again. Miraculously, the problem went away. I went to the dealer and talked to the service adviser, he said he knew nothing about the problem (recall etc.) and asked me to bring the van back for service once the problem happens again. My van appears to be working correctly now, but I dare not drive it far away from home. I know the problem is not gone. It will come back at the most inconvenient time. I do not want to be stranded in a snow storm at -30 degrees F that I can only drive at 5mph (that is what the weather is like here in Chicago at this time of the year). I do not want to be thousand miles away from home when the problem happens again. It would be nightmare if vsc wrongly comes on at high way speed.

- Hainesville, IL, USA

Jul 262008

Sienna 4WD

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While driving less than 30 mph in the right lane, the vehicle veered to the right. The vehicle almost crashed into the median. The contact steered to the left and the vehicle suddenly began to accelerate unexpectedly. He attempted to avoid oncoming traffic, but was unable to slow the vehicle down or come to a complete stop. The contact pulled into a parking lot and the vehicle crashed into a car wash. The crash occurred while the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle is currently at a salvage yard provided by the insurance company. The driver sustained a fractured sternum and the front passenger needed 12 stitches in her right hand. The two rear passengers were uninjured. A police report was filed. The contact conducted online research, but found no recalls for the vehicle. He did, however, find an investigation pertaining to this failure, but it had been closed without any recalls issued. The current and failure mileages were 30,000. Updated 10/16/08 updated 10/20/08.

- Melville, NY, USA

Jul 022008

Sienna

I had slowed my car to allow a group to pass and was making a left hand turn into a parking spot. My car lurched forward and sped forward nearly striking a group of teenagers. I plowed through three cement pillars and a flower pot and finally came to rest. My engine was revving and my foot was on the brake. Updated 12/02/09 updated 12/03/09 the consumer also stated the air bags did not deploy. Updated 12/03/09

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 292008

Sienna 6-cyl

Sudden acceleration in 2004 Toyota Sienna van: At 0830am pst, April 29th 2008 I was driving to work at my school where I work as a teacher. While making a slow U-turn, with my foot lightly on the brake pedal, my 2004 Toyota Sienna le van suddenly took off and accelerated uncontrollably like a rocket at maximum velocity. The accelerator pedal was never pressed during this incident. I had just a split second to remove my foot completely off the brake pedal to look down at the floor board to ensure nothing was pinning the pedal downward, nothing was there and the van was still accelerating looked up in horror as vehicle was continuing to accelerate at an extremely high rate of speed and continuing to accelerate. I quickly steered the vehicle and dodged a screened chain-link fence to avoid an area where children usually stand waiting for parents. With vehicle still accelerating at full power I quickly passed the fence area, applied the brakes with great force, but they felt unresponsive to the acceleration forces. With vehicle moving at a very high rate of speed and still accelerating, I saw a parked vehicle right in front of me and could no longer control the vehicle, I braced for impact. The van violently smashed into an unattended Ford Expedition vehicle, engine briefly revved high and then finally shut down. Had there not been a parked vehicle there I would have gone directly into the residential house about 50 feet away. It only took about 3 or 4 seconds for the van to travel the 22 yards from where the accelerator malfunction started to the impact area of the other vehicle. There is no doubt that this situation will occur again to someone else. Lives will be lost and drivers will be falsely held accountable. I strongly recommend that the nhsta investigate this serious issue. I am so concerned about this issue that I am sending a complete dissertation to all tv networks (20/20, etc) hoping that some Agency will expose this to a high level of public awareness.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

May 182005

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle hestitates upon acceleration.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Feb 232007

Sienna 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna mini van. While driving at 15 mph the contact experienced the following failure: Intermittent vsc activation after starting the engine and driving straight from a stop position. This failure was always accompanied by the instrument panel vsc light and an audible warning buzzer. The current and failure mileage were 47,000. The consumer sated the ABS would activate. The consumer sold the vehicle. Updated 03/30/07.

- Fishersville, VA, USA

Dec 072006

Sienna

I was pulling slowly into a parking space and my 2004 Sienna van uncontrollably accelerated and smashed into a building.

- Manchester, MA, USA

Feb 122007

Sienna

Van was put in reverse and it accelerated on its own and hit car behind, quickly put it on drive and w/out pressing accelerator, it surged forward. Luckily there were boxes between the van and the wall. Brought it to Toyota, said they found nothing wrong with the van and that the warranty wont cover.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 152007

Sienna

Toyota 2004 le Sienna. Driving on straight, dry, road about 30-40 mph. Vsc suddenly light turned on unexpectedly, followed by loud beeping noise. Van appeared to hesitate. Can't go more than 40 mph. I was glad that there was no car behide me otherwise there would have been an accident. Van was brought into dealer (Toyota of palo alto, ca). They found no error code.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Apr 012006

Sienna

: the contact stated intermittently while applying brake pressure, the pedal will go to the floor. In addition, the vehicle accelerated without warning causing an accident. One person sustained minor injuries and there was a crash and property damage. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the problem could not be duplicated and the contact was informed that the vehicle is functioning normally.

- Bealeton, VA, USA

Aug 112004

Sienna 6-cyl

Radiator ruptured and the engine overheated; hose replaced in steering column recall; rust protective tape recall; dvd screen replaced and the entire dvd player replaced(screen still not easily visible in middle row); passenger seat belt replaced; middle passenger seat belt failing; gasoline smell inside of car with ac on recirculation; driver's window fell inside door in snow storm and was not considered a safety issue to get a loaner vehicle even though the vehicle could not be locked; tires completely bald and leaking under 30,000 miles, dvd player must be at a high db volume and when returned to radio/cd will almost deafen you; interior lights have to be manually over ridden or will drain battery; car hesitates 1-2 seconds when trying to quickly accelerate and then lurches forward alarmingly; cruise control is not functioning; waiting to have fuel mixture sensor replaced. I was not informed of first 2 recalls until I my engine overheated. I did get the rust recall and a sticker on my sliding door informing user of danger of having middle windows open while opening the middle door could catch a head or other extremity. Toyota dealer service manager says mine is the only 04 Sienna experiencing any problems except for the recalls on the radiator; the steering hose; the rust tape; and the middle seat belt. Not so according to all I have read here. Most of the problems have occurred between 22,000 and 34,000 miles; the dvd screen always failed to lock into a good position for the middle row viewers.

- Golden, CO, USA

Mar 132005

Sienna 6-cyl

As I was driving on a dry road at about 30 mph the vehicle speed control (vsc ) indicator light went off, followed by a continuous beeping from the dashboard, by a vibration of the vehicle (more the left side) and by an automatic intermittent application of the brakes on selected tires as if the minivan was trying to regain control and pulling towards the left. The minivan immediately slowed its speed to less than 5 mph and when tried to reapply for acceleration, as soon as exceeded 5 mph the beeping restarted, the light went off again and the pulling to the left and the automatic breaks were applied. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealership where is still under repair. Apparently they indicate there is a tsb related to this matter.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Mar 092005

Sienna 6-cyl

Driving approximate 45 mph on straight, dry and clear residential road when vsc indicator illuminated and rapid beeping occurred. ABS proceeded to kick in causing vehicle to lurch while moving. The brakes will apply themselves while driving at a particular speed. Which then enalbe you from driving at all. This is the third time this has happened. The first two times the dealer could not reproduce the problem, and there was no error code on the onboard computer so no fix could be made. The final time we cited tsb BR08-04 (after much searching on the web) and they agreed to replace the steering angle sensor.

- Brampton, 00, USA

Feb 202005

Sienna 6-cyl

Vsc activates while vehicle is traveling straight. This can and has caused the vehiscle to shift lanes and stop short. It has happened a dozen times and the dealer is not able to diagnose this.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA