2004 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Oct 012010

Steering failed in van, no warning, became very hard and acted like steering with no to very little power steering. Required significant driver input to steer and drive vehicle. Dealer said road salt caused exposed mechanisms under car to corrode and tighten.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 172008

2004 Toyota Sienna steering gets stuck and binds up. Looking at other peoples same complaints, Toyota should be responsible for a recall. This is a serious and also, expensive problem. Toyota seems to want to ignore this problem, but thousands of Sienna customers have complained.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Mar 242010

During Feb 2010, I noticed intermittent 'sticking' in the power steering of my 2004 Toyota Sienna xle at all speeds. On 10mar10, or 80,787 miles, heartland Toyota flushed my steering as part of the scheduled 90,000 mile warranty. This was 10,000 miles early. The problem seemed to go away, and when it returned within two weeks, I was told to cycle the steering clockwise to the stop, and then counter-clockwise to the stops and to repeat this 10 times. This also seemed to help in the short term. The 'binding' action continued to worsen to the point where it felt like the steering was stuck, and additional force was required to push through the binding. The binding happens at all speeds, but is more noticeable at higher speeds due to the reduction of response time to correct the steering. This binding worsened over time, and I dropped it off to be evaluated by heartland Toyota on 16aug10. Toyota stated the repair would entail replacing the 'steering shaft assembly', and that the internal bearings were going bad. The repair will cost $680 with parts, labor and tax. I asked that the parts be saved and I will provide to the NHTSA ODI upon request and proper correspondence via the us mail. Additional research of this issue was found in the ODI's PE0804. Upon further reading it appears many of these issues are being linked to 'salt damage' from salting during the winter. The Washington state dot does not use salt in western Washington, and I would encourage the ODI to reopen this issue with the Toyota Sienna.

- Seabeck, WA, USA

Jul 132010

Toyota Sienna 2004 with only 62,000 miles presents knocking noise when operating the steering wheel, also requiring excessive correction when driving the vehicle in highways. Requested fix during extended warranty sold by Toyota itself. Claim was denied.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 012010

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna ce. In February or March I started to experience steering problems. When I first started my vehicle up in the morning, the steering was very tight and difficult to steer. After about an hour or less of driving the problem disappeared. A mechanic changed the power steering fluid, but the problem continued. Some days there are no problems and some days there are. I have complained of the problem to the Toyota dealership where I have the van serviced which is copeland Toyota in brockton, MA. They could find nothing wrong with the steering.

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jul 032004

Vsc engages at highway speeds: Vehicle alarm sounds, brakes deploy abruptly and unexpectedly, steering pulls, accelerator goes dead (pulse races, adrenaline courses). First complained to dealer after four incidents in first 20K miles: Had online testimonials of yaw sensor, steering angle sensor and ECM replacements as possible remedies; dealer rebuffed my complaints, denying service to sensors, and suggested my tires had 'gone square'. I have lived with the condition for a total of seven years. The car now 'goes off' maybe three times per every 20 miles driven, unpredictably and always shockingly. My family refuses to ride in the car. I cannot sell it in good conscience, as the defects cannot be confirmed by the dealer (and apparently therefore do not exist), so there is no way for it to be 'made safe' for a succeeding owner. Its remaining $10K+ equity has been nullified by this defect.

- Mill Valley , CA, USA

Mar 092010

Rust / corrosion on steering components which caused major handling problems. Dealer stated that his mechanic would not drive the vehicle off the dealer premises and that the intermediate shaft required replacement.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Apr 072010

I began recently having difficulty in steering my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan. The steering would bind and require increased effort when the vehicle was making turns. This happens constantly and is getting worst. I took the vehicle to balise Toyota in warwick, Rhode Island to be repaired. They stated it was a problem with the power steering drive belts and they replaced them. However the vehicle continues to have extreme difficulty in steering and it continues to bind. I believe this is a threat to my families and my safety if we continue to drive this vehicle. I have check the websites on Toyota defects and I believe it is a problem with corrosion of the steering universal joints.

- Carolina, RI, USA

Dec 162009

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the power steering goes in and out on the vehicle. This has been re-occurring problem for the past six months. The steering will go out while making a left or right hand turn. The failure mileage was 130000 and the current mileage was 163000.

- Willaimstown, NJ, USA

Mar 102010

Sienna 6-cyl

2004 Toyota Sienna steering problem the consumer stated the dealer fixed the steering problem. However, the consumer had to return the vehicle because the problem resurfaced. The steering was never the same. There were times when the steering would become stiff, but the problem would go away once the vehicle warmed up. The consumer also stated the clip that holds the floor mat in place comes off easily.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Feb 152010

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. He stated that while driving at various speeds the steering wheel is very hard to turn and stay in one position. He stated that his vehicle was fine until it snowed and the salt on the roads made the steering intermiate shaft corrode. The dealer was contacted and they stated that there was no recall and that they will repair the vehicle at the owner's expense. There had been no repairs done to the vehicle at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 81000 and current mileage was 82000.

- Lake Wood, NJ, USA

Jan 202010

We have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We bought it new in 2004 from phillips Toyota in leesburg fl. Three to four weeks ago, we started noticing a problem with the power steering when first starting in the morning. It feels like the power steering is jumping between working and not working with no warning indication of a problem. The feeling is that of having no power steering until the car has warmed for two to three minutes, there are no warning lights or audible sounds. It has been happening every morning.

- Tavares, FL, USA

Nov 012008

Loss of power steering due to internal leak of fluid into rack. Made high pitched squeaking noise and fluid would slowly leak (internal, could not find external leak) first occurred around 11/08 and repaired first under warranty on 3/09 at 34,749 miles. Now has occurred again at 80,000 miles.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 012009

I experienced significant difficulty (stiffness, lack of responsiveness) in the power steering of my 2004 Toyota Sienna. Subsequent examination by my dealership revealed that both the steering rack and pinion and the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced. The minivan has only 51,000 miles.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jan 202010

It happened twice during 2 weeks ago ( during heavy rain). I was driving my 2004 Toyota Sienna on a parking lot. The steering wheel is very hard to turn, it seems like I lost the power steering. After restarting the van, the problem disappeared. Next day, my wife encountered the same problem when she is picking up our kids from school. We believe there is a major problem with the electrical system or computer system. I have so many problem with this vans and the dealer refuse to fix it, I have seat belt problem, it is not easy to release after driving, dealer wants 300 to fix. Electrical sliding door problem etc.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 152009

The steering binds during turns. I have noticed that the problem gets worse over time to a point that it seems dangerous to drive. When you turn the wheel, the wheel catches and turns the van real quickly in an uncontrolled manner. My mechanic has stated he needs to replace the steering rack.

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 072009

2004 Toyota Sienna: Problems with the power steering. I live in MA and during the winter the power steering will intermittently work. There is not power steering from between 10 and 2 O'clock and then it will kick in. Also it will not return to zero on its own. Trying to make a turn you have to pull hard and then it will kick in and you almost run into the guardrail. After pulling back the other way it is hard and then once it kicks in I almost drive into oncoming traffic. I have read other readers complaints on "" and there is a problem with the intermediate power steering shaft have corrosion issues in high salt area. Toyota has changed this on later models so they know there is a problem. I feel this is a major issue that will lead to an accident.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Dec 102009

Steering wheel on Toyota Sienna 2004 making noise and stiff when turning left or right. Occurs when temperature drops below 40 degrees.

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Nov 302009

Steering problem on 2004 Toyota Sienna. Steering will jerk as the wheel is turned - requires extra effort to turn the wheel and then will jerk through that direction. It then has tendency to stick, so vehicle continues turning when steering wheel grasp is relaxed. Operator needs to quickly respond to avoid loss of control. Problem is most pronounced when vehicle is cold but still noticeable after it has warmed up. The problem came on suddenly about one week ago. Vehicle has ~82,000miles.

- Walpole, MA, USA

Nov 152007

Approximately 20 months ago, began experiencing very difficult steering. Steering acted as if loss of power steering. Difficult to turn and would not return to neutral always, especially in cold weather. Near accident when steering would not return to neutral as expected. Last summer, steering improved in warm weather. This winter, constant problem and did not go away with return of warm weather. From what I have seen on this website, very common and expensive problem.

- Parma, OH, USA