5.8

2004 Toyota Sienna wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

May 012004

Sienna

"clunking" noise noted on steering the 2004 Toyota Sienna just a few months after it was bought. It had gone through 3 recalls already when first the fuel tank, then the door sills, then the middle row seatbelt bezel, and finally recently, the rear hatch struts were all replaced. Vehicle was test driven, but no mention of "clunking" documented. However, all this time, the clunking had become more noticeable, and vehicle had gone through 2 alignments already, with only about 42,000 miles on it. Last serviced for alignment, dealer did note clunking and recommended replacement of intermediate steering shaft. It is now becoming more difficult to steer the vehicle, especially at low speeds, and "K-turns" now require more maneuvers, and the steering radius has increased potentially causing collisions with objects or pedestrians if compensatory action is not initiated. (steering output has sometimes been unpredictable). Second component is lack of TPMS sensors when tires were changed at a facility, and I had the facility document the lack of sensors.

- Dover, DE, USA

Aug 012008

Sienna

TPMS on 2004-2006 Toyota Sienna AWD models does not monitor low tire pressure properly. It only works when the tire goes to zero psi.

Jan 012008

Sienna

From the time we purchased the car we have had many problems with our Bridgestone run flat tires. The sensor on the dashboard was constantly on, so we had to check the tire pressure every week- what a pain! the dealer was no help, they agreed that they have had many problems with the tires. We finally decided to replace them with standard tires and I drive without a spare. I figure I'll call aaa if I have a problem.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Oct 242007

Sienna

Toyota pre-2007 TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) design flaw. It only works when you "suddenly lose pressure" while vehicle is moving above 20 mph. It does not detect tire pressure loss any other time, even if one tire is at zero psi and you start driving, or if you hit a nail at a red light and tire pressure went to zero before the light turned green when you start moving again. Compounded with run-flat tires, the driver may never know they have a flat until the tire explodes.

Oct 182007

Sienna 6-cyl

Tire pressure monitoring system does not work. Three times in the last 2 years I found zero tire pressure in one of the tires on our 2004 Toyota Sienna xle AWD and the tire pressure monitoring system gave absolutely no warning. Reporting it to 2 different Toyota dealers, they said nothing is wrong.

Mar 082006

Sienna

Regarding NHTSA action no. PE06010, I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle limited with AWD with the tire pressure warning system (tpws) for my dunlop run flat tires (sp 4000). I have experienced punctures in two of my tires on separate occasions. Both times the tpws only activated when the psi was about 5- to 15. The dealer indicated to me that the magnetic system will only activate once a tire's height becomes lower due to air loss, and the magnetic field is "tripped". the problem is that the run flat tires do not lose their height due to air loss until the tire is nearly depleted. So, the tpws essentially cannot properly function as intended, at least when run flat tires are installed. As to the dunlop run flats, they had to be replaced after only 19,700 miles. I know numerous other consumers have had similar experiences. Toyota acknowledged the problem and relpaced my tires with a new set of 4 run flats at no charge (other than installation). Typical price is $250 per tire. Credit to toyata, but not sure what will happen when the new set fails.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 192005

Sienna 6-cyl

Our 2004 Toyota Sienna xle has a low tire pressure indicator that appears to not work. We have personally let all but 10 lbs of air out of one of the tires and the light still does not go on. Repeated attempts (3 as of this date) to have the dealer fix the problem have resulted in "opinion" from the dealership and no solution. We have asked for the sensor to be replaced, and the computer to be replaced to no avail. We are unsure that our vehicle is providing the level of safety that we assumed when we bought it. The latest statement from the dealer is that the car "...needs to be driven at least 50 miles in the low pressure condition for it to work properly". this does not make sense to us. Are we expected to endanger the safety, and lives, of our children, by driving around for unreasonable distances in an unsafe condition for the vehicle's "safety" features to work?

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Oct 302005

Sienna 6-cyl

2004 Toyota Sienna equipped with run flat tires. Had tires put on by Toyota on Friday Oct. 28. Sunday Oct. 30 while driving on highway had a tire blowout causing $2226 damage to car. Pressure warning system did not work or was not set by Toyota when tires were mounted on Friday. If the pressure warning had been working we would have known there was a problem with the tire and had it fixed. Not knowing there was a problem with the tire led to the tire blowing out. Had van towed back to Toyota and explained what had happened and they basically told us we had run over something and that we were going to pay for damage. Toyota was unwilling to acknowledge any responsibility in this matter.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Sep 302005

Sienna

Tire pressure monitor not functioning properly- multiple times concerns of blowout. Premature/uneven tire wear on run flat tires. Self monitoring of air pressure and replacement of tires.

- Moscow, ID, USA

Oct 182005

Sienna 6-cyl

Have had three flat tires that had to be replaced on my 2002 Sienna AWD van with 11000 miles on it. The tires are the oem brigestone run-flat type.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 192005

Sienna 6-cyl

Have a toyata xle AWD van with run flats and tire pressure monitoring system. The tire pressure monitoring does not work. Front passenger tire has a leak which could not be found 2 weeks ago. The system was reset, all tires pressured up by the dealer 2 weeks ago. There is a 20 psi difference between the left and right wheels and the system does not light up in the dash. 3 week ago, we went on a 2000 mile trip, before which I noticed the problem of one tire being low in tire pressure and the system not working. The dealer has no fix on the problem and said Toyota does not have any tsb's on it. Now duse to this defective system, they have found a leak which may be close to the sidewall on the tire and cannot be repaired and it being an all wheel drive vehicle, I am being advised to put 4 new runflats at over $1200 with less than 16000 miles on this vehicle.

- Roanoke, VA, USA