2005 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Sep 152006

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the outside rear driver side door handle would not open the door. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a technician replaced the release mechanism. The current and failure mileages were 90000. Updated 10/28/09. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle, the consumer noticed the driver side door would not always operate when using the outside handle. Eventually the door would never open with the handle and the consumer would press the button on the door column to open the door and then that stopped working as well as the key fob opener stopped working and the consumer couldn't use the door at all. The vehicle has 2 automatic sliding doors. When the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, they were unable to get the door to open and then the passenger sliding door failed. The consumer also stated it didn't seem the doors could be opened manually which is a safety hazard. The steering column was also replaced. Updated 10/29/09.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Aug 282009

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. He stated that the passenger side sliding door will not lock. As a consequence the door could open while driving. He took the vehicle to the dealer and a technician concluded that the motor needed to be replaced. He then added that they would cover the expense for the part, but not the labor. The vehicle was being repaired. The current and failure mileages were 49,000.

- Winchendon , MA, USA

Jan 012008

I own a 2005 Toyota Sienna le without automatic doors. 1. in the winter the doors freeze shut and will open on their own while driving once the temperature warms up. Anything under 38 degrees this happens. 2. the sliding rear doors do not open about 50% of the time, once the passenger side door did not open for 4 months and then started working again out of the blue. I find these glitches dangerous to my family. Especially, when the frozen doors open while driving or when the sliding doors will not open from the inside or outside. What if the car was on fire or submerged in water? we would die.

- Hahira, GA, USA

Jul 102009

2005 Toyota Sienna automatic sliding doors fail. I have had problems since there was less than 20K miles but each time I brought it in it always worked. They never documented the visits therefore showing no history of the problem other than my word. I had bought an non Toyota extended warranty and the driver side door completely failed right before it was up. I told them the other door had the same problem and they said they couldn't do anything under warranty unless it acted up for them. Less than 4K miles later and outside of my warranty the other door completely failed. Toyota and the dealership is not helping. They even claim that this is not a common problem. I find that hard to believe after reading several webpostings describing the exact problem. This is a serious safety issue. If I were to be in an emergency I could only get my third child out from the hatch. This needs to be a recall. Please help!

- Deerfield, NH, USA

May 132009

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the automatic sliding door was not opening and closing on its own. She must open and close it manually. The contact will not take the vehicle to the dealer for inspection because it would cost over $1,200 to repair. The manufacturer will be notified. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Linden, MI, USA

Jun 062009

Toyota Sienna 2005 van: Sliding doors do not operate consistently. They get stuck open or will not open when closed.

- Chittenango, NY, USA

Nov 142007

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. In cold weather, the rear sliding doors become stuck and do not move. The contact had to exit her children via the front doors. She was concerned that she would not be able to exit her children from the vehicle quickly in the event of an emergency. The dealer stated that the cable snapped on the automatic door. The manufacturer has not been notified and the vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 38,616 and failure mileage was approximately 26,000.

- Montclair , NJ, USA

Jul 182008

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side sliding door sticks and is extremely difficult to open. She has to use excessive force to open the door. The door also freezes in the winter. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer three or four times, but they could not duplicate the failure. The dealer stated that once the 36 month warranty expired, the repair would cost $1,800. In addition, the rear automatic hatchback closes prematurely and too quickly, which could injure the contact's children. The failure mileage was 20,000 and current mileage was 32,000.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Nov 212007

The sliding door on my 2005 Toyota Sienna has a broken cable. The door will no longer close automatically. I had to drive home with the door open. The cost of the clutch motor assembly is $ 1500.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Apr 082009

2005 Toyota Sienna automatic power sliding door damage. Motor assembly broken all of the sudden during usual opening (w/O any cause or warning). Door was not able to close. Had to be tied to keep from throwing open while driving to dealership. Could not tie shut - a 1 foot wide gap remained. Forums and discussion sites specify this as commonplace. The cost to repair is extremely high (over$1K). Definitely a candidate for a recall.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Mar 012009

I have a Toyota Sienna 2005. The powered side door always stays shut when the outside temperature is below 35. Whenever this problem occurs, the door stays ajar. That means that I can't open nor fully close it, so while driving, the alarm keeps going off and I can't look the car either. This is a safety hazard.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the passenger side sliding door would not open in the vehicle. There is a button in the vehicle that automatically opens the sliding doors, but it is no longer working. The warranty already expired when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the motor and clutch assemblies failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the contact was unable to explain exactly what was done to the vehicle. The vehicle is no longer experiencing the failure, but she believes that this should have been covered as a manufacturer defect. The current and failure mileages were 35,523. Updated 2/9/09 updated 02/13/09.

- East Hanover, NJ, USA

Dec 042008

Our 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan's sliding doors will not open every winter when the temperature is approximately 40 degrees or under. It occurs every day and the only way for my young kids to enter the vehicle is through the front, as they are just small enough to squeeze through the front passenger seat if moved all the way forward. It is not acceptable! the doors are also unable to be opened manually. My husband has brain cancer and uses a cane and sometimes a wheelchair. Each time the kids need to get out of the car he also has to get out of the vehicle. The whole situation is dangerous. Toyota has done nothing as several people have had the same issue.

- Libertyville, IL, USA

Aug 152008

2005 Toyota Sienna xle AWD passenger side power sliding door failure the door was stuck open because the door cable was frayed and prevented the door from safely closing. The cable required cutting to allow the door to close and latch even when the over ride was enabled. Thank you

- Plantsville, CT, USA

Aug 252008

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The passenger sliding door quit working due to the motor ate through the cables. Motor still works but I am forced to buy a new motor and cables. This is a common problem and Toyota will not own up to it. There was no warning of this happening.

- Colo Spgs, CO, USA

Sep 022008

Passenger automatic door failed the same day that I purchased a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The cable could be seen hanging out of the car. Very concerned that door will fail and harm my small children, by not allowing us out of the car in an emergency.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 192008

Both of my sliding side doors are stuck shut. After washing my car today I went to the mall with my 2 year old. I was unable to open either door and instead had to crawl in back, then carry him out through the front passenger door. After shopping the doors continued to remained stuck. I locked and unlocked doors both manually and with my keyless entry. Door appears unlocked but will not open. Had to place my child in front seat, climb in back, then lift him to the back in order to secure him in his car seat. This has occurred at least a dozen times in the past, most often in cold weather. Have had mechanism on driver side sliding door replaced once, continues to work sporadically. I have three other children and don't know how I am supposed to get all of them in and out with this continuing problem.

- Firth, NE, USA

Jun 072008

Automatic sliding side doors stopped working.

- Acton, MA, USA

Apr 212008

Rear back door of my Toyota Sienna closes on its own and had slammed on my back.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 222008

Sienna 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I have approximately 50,000 miles on the van. The passenger side electric sliding door began to have trouble closing. You can close it manually, but the motor was not strong enough to close the door completely. I made arrangements to have the problem checked at my local Toyota dealer. I was told the electric motor on the door was wore out and needed replaced. The service person told me this is a normal occurrence and would cost me $1,600 to replace since the vehicle is out of warranty. Why would a two year old high quality Toyota van have an issue such as this. This is due to poor quality. I have not repaired the door as of yet due to I am currently on my way up the chain of command at Toyota to get this corrected.

- Amelia, OH, USA