1.5

2005 Toyota Sienna brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Nov 022016

Sienna

When driving through sweeping turns on dry, paved roads, the vehicle's vsc engages, causing vehicle to self brake, pulling to the left (toward oncoming traffic), and the vsc light on the dash to blink and beep. This puts the passengers of my car in danger, as well as those in vehicles around us who are not expecting a sudden application of brakes or swerving into neighboring lane. My vehicle has been inspected at an independent mechanic with no findings which would warrant the vehicle to engage in such activity.

- Ramona, CA, USA

Sep 012016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stability control off warning light illuminated and engine would surge, the rpms would decrease and the vehicle would jerk to the left. The contact indicated that the failure would occur for approximately 10 seconds. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- East Willingston, NY, USA

Jun 252016

Sienna

While driving at approximately 40 mph and entering a left turn curve, the ABS and vsc lights activated and the vehcle lurched violently to the right then back to thge left. I was able to regain control after a few seconds, but during this time time I was not able to steer properly. The vehicle was taken to an independent service facility. The brakes and stability control were inspected. There were not any trouble codes stored. Examination of the wheel speed sensors revealed the right and left sensors were seized in their mounting brackets. We believe the sensors have rusted and have swollen. We had the ABS and vsc systems disconnected. The problem has not occurred since this was done. We are planning on replacing these sensor in the near future. This is a very serious condition and needs to be investigated.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Jun 182016

Sienna

On several occasions the vehicle stability control (vsc) on my 2005 Toyota Sienna AWD xle (127,000 miles) is activated suddenly and for no reason. This is intermittent and happens when on a curve at varying speeds on perfect road and weather conditions. A buzzer sounds, vsc light comes on, brakes slam on and vehicle pulls to the right. Mechanic could find not anything. Toyota dealership had not heard of this problem. A google search revealed many similar complaints. This is frightening, dangerous and creates unsafe conditions for passengers in my vehicle, as well as other drivers on the road as the car suddenly and drastically reduces speed and pulls to the right. Many others are experiencing the same problem and should be recalled. Any defective part that poses a safety risk should be recalled by law! it seems that most people experiencing this problem are outside of their warranty.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

May 142016

Sienna

On several occasions the vehicle stability control on my 2005 Toyota Sienna xle is activated suddenly and for no reason. It has happened changing lanes on the freeway, on off ramps, and city streets. I was never going over the speed limit, turning sharply, and the road was not wet or slippery. The activation caused my car to rapidly decelerate from 50 mph to 20 mph in a matter of seconds and caused my wife, children, and I to lurch forward. Vsc also caused my vehicle to swerve sharply to the right. I had immediately lost control! this put me and my family in mortal danger along with the occupants of vehicles around us. They were completely unprepared for my sudden and unwarranted stop! I believe Toyota has sold a vehicle that has a hardware and/or software error in it that can result in fatal injuries to the driver, passengers and occupants of surrounding vehicles. This is why I believe the national highway transportation safety administration should require Toyota to issue a safety recall that permanently eliminates this problem for Toyota owners like me. Like others I believe this situation is far more serious than your recent recall of the Toyota shift lever assembly to prevent an accidental roll away. (NHTSA campaign number: 13V429000). In our case we are driving at highway speeds when without warning the car suddenly slams on the brakes and veers to the left. I have read others complaints that are almost identicle. Please do not wait for injuries and deaths to resolve this issue!

- Clovis, CA, USA

Mar 152016

Sienna

On March 15, 2016, the vehicle stability control on my 2005 Toyota Sienna xle activated suddenly and for no reason. I was in a left turn merging lane from one major highway to a busy interstate. I was going about 50 mph when it activated. The activation caused my car to rapidly decelerate from 50 mph to 20 mph in a matter of 3 seconds and caused my wife and I to lurch forward. Vsc also caused my vehicle to swerve sharply to the right. I had immediately lost control! this put me and my family in mortal danger along with the occupants of vehicles around us. They were completely unprepared for my sudden and unwarranted stop! I believe Toyota has sold a vehicle that has a hardware and/or software error in it that can result in fatal injuries to the driver, passengers and occupants of surrounding vehicles. This is why I believe the national highway transportation safety administration should require Toyota to issue a safety recall that permanently eliminates this problem for Toyota owners like me. (as background, I did some internet research to see if others have experienced this. I've attached my findings of 23 identical incidents experienced by Sienna owners. I stopped at 23 - there were more.) I believe this situation is far more serious than your recent recall of the Toyota shift lever assembly to prevent an accidental roll away. (NHTSA campaign number: 13V429000). In our case we are driving at highway speeds when without warning the car suddenly slams on the brakes and veers to the right. I believe this calls for your immediate action. Personally, I think this is just as serious as a car going down the highway that suddenly bursts into flames. I know you would issue a recall to that car company and I believe you should issue a similar recall to Toyota.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Dec 132015

Sienna

Very dangerous situation: Toyota Sienna 2005 vsc (anti skid system) kicks in unexpectedly for no reason. Numerous times I have been driving straight along dry roads only to have my ABS (antilock braking system) suddenly come on, the van slow down, with the vsc alarm going off, and the vsc light blinking. It's very scary, especially on the highway, and it becomes hard to control the van. This has happened at high (~55 mph) as well as low (~25-30mph) speeds. I drive 90% on smooth, well-paved Suburban roads, and about 10% on highways. The frequency of this defect is definitely increasing. One day it happened 4 times in one trip! all for no reason, and all under dry, normal driving conditions on smooth, Suburban roads. My van has 113K miles on the odometer. This defect creates a very dangerous situation where the vehicle slows suddenly and unexpectedly, and swerves to one side without warning. I can't understand how there hasn't been a recall yet. A quick search online shows many people have had this exact same experience.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 102015

Sienna

2005 Sienna xle limited. The traction control system activates randomly and unexpectedly in dry conditions - most often on downhill, angled turns, at speeds between 25 mph and 60 mph. A sudden dash-board alarm sounds with vehicle skid light. Simultaneously, there is a sudden, independent activation of front brakes, grinding noises, the steering wheel shutters wildly, and the vehicle attempts to pull towards oncoming lanes. It requires great effort to maintain control. The immediate result is a loss of vehicle control! this defect has occurred 8 times in 3 months. Serious fears about operating the vehicle with my family. A front-end alignment was done on the vehicle. Problem persists. Multiple reports have been filed that this is an ongoing problem with this model vehicle. This is clearly a safety defect and the vehicle should be recalled to prevent injury or fatalities! this is a major safety hazard that can lead to a serious highway accidents!

- Big Bear, CA, USA

Nov 112013

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle's traction control engages without cause when traveling more than 35 mph on a curve or bend. Road speed limit is somewhere between 55-60 mph. If vehicle is traveling more than 40 mph, car's traction control and brakes engage, slowing car down to 35 mph. Road conditions are normal. Vehicle has been seen by local Toyota dealership over 5 times in the last year. They are unable to diagnose issue or reproduce it. We have been almost been rear ended due to this faulty issue.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

On a straight clear, dry road the traction control system activated under constant speed several times. When activated, the indicator light flash, the buzzer sounded and the brakes were applied automatically.

May 302014

Sienna

Driving 45 to 50 mph on a road on a dry sunny day. Suddenly vsc light came on and warning beep and at the same time the brakes engaged causing a rapid slow down of the van. I almost swerved into the next lane due to the brakes engaging. This happened 3 times in one morning. This is extremely dangerous as it could cause a collision, especially at higher speeds.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Dec 122013

Sienna 6-cyl

At near highway speed on clear, dry pavement while traveling straight the electronic stability control (as evidenced by the dashboard light blinking) activated the brakes without warning causing the vehicle to suddenly lose speed. The his happened intermittently in the past.

Nov 062013

Sienna

On my 2005 Toyota xle limited, the traction control system engaged on its own while driving about 50 mph on a flat road in dry conditions, as a result the brakes engaged on its own and the car shook profusely for a couple of seconds. I had to hold onto the steering wheel to maintain control and avoid going into the neighboring lane. My 2005 Toyota Sienna has 84,000 miles on it. There have been two other incidences when the traction control engaged but the brakes did not. I have only owned the car for 1 week and I am communicating with Toyota but I they have yet to organize a recall for this very dangerous problem. I plan to drive to Canada in this car so I hope we can find a solution.

- Azle, TX, USA

Jan 042013

Sienna 6-cyl

I was driving the car and noticed it was a bit sluggish. The next thing I know, the brake pedal is on the floor even though I am not pressing it, and the car is still moving. I had my three children in the car, so I drove carefully to a safe stopping place, used the emergency brake, and exited the car. I then noticed that all four brakes or tires were smoking and there was a very strong burning smell. If there had been a need for me to stop suddenly while I was still moving, my brakes would not have worked! after getting the car towed and replacing both the ABS actuator and the master cylinder, my mechanic diagnosed the source of the problem: The brake light switch and bracket had been knocked out of alignment and were causing brake application even when the pedal was not depressed by the driver. This caused ABS and vehicle stability control failures when the brakes overheated. I searched Toyota's recalls and found a recall for this exact problem was issued for 2011 Siennas only, but I had experienced precisely the same problem in a 2005 Sienna. I called Toyota and got nowhere; because no recall had been issued for my model year, they would not help me at all with covering the tremendous cost I had incurred.

- Sharon, MA, USA

Dec 222012

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Sienna was driven to a parking garage and parked for two hours. Upon returning to the Sienna and starting the engine, three lights came on; check engine, vsc, and trac off. Drove vehicle home (150 miles), the 3 lights remained on as well as loss of cruise control and an intermittent compass display. Took vehicle in for inspection at a local Toyota dealer and was told the skid control unit ECU needed to be replaced. I found out there are other complaints and a technical service bulletin on the 2005 Sienna vehicle stability control (also called electronic stability control) system that has caused injuries. Even more remarkable, my 2005 Sienna has only 62K miles and in that time there has been 2 other incidences with the same symptoms. Why has there not been a recall if there are already injuries in the database??

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jul 312012

Sienna 6-cyl

Driving at a steady speed on clean, dry pavement the electronic stability control activated (as indicated by the dashboard indicator light). Subsequently the brakes activated creating a hazardous situation.

Aug 302007

Sienna 6-cyl

Sliding door is not open and close when using electrical button. We got the extend warranty but when we bring to Toyota dealer they told us have to pay $295 to check it. If a defect is not under warranty. I fill it is not fair. Door is not open because the latch was not release by pushing button. Is it safe when children are in side? if we remove the latch everything is working fine. Please help american consumer to make Toyota responsible for any lack of assembly. They have to pay for the time of inconvenient also. Please investigate this issue. Thank you

- Gardena , CA, USA

Apr 142010

Sienna

I have an intermittent failure with the anti-skid. Once or twice a month I will be turning without any brakes on and the anti-skid light comes on and the car behaves like it is trying to compensate for a skid.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA