2005 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 072010

Sienna

I was pulling into a parking space in a shopping center parking lot when my 2005 Toyota Sienna suddenly accelerated and my van lurched forward into a tree. This has never happened before to me in this, or any other vehicle. As a result of the crash, my car was not drivable and had to be towed from the scene. I filed a police report, as well as a claim with my insurance carrier. I have since filed a complaint with Toyota, but have not yet heard from the inspector assigned to my case. Currently, the van is at a body shop awaiting inspection by the Toyota representative before anything else is done.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 142010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 55 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership but the dealer could not duplicate the problem. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000. The current mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 112010

Sienna

2005 Toyota Sienna had cruise control on. The vehicle began to 'shake' and the speedometer climbed to 80 mph then down to 60 mph. It didn't seem to actually be accelerating--it felt like the vehicle was fighting to not lose power. I deactivated the cruise control by touching the breaks. I pulled off the freeway, turned the motor off, waited and started again at a slower speed without the cruise control on. After a while the vehicle again began to 'buck and shake', the speedometer raced to 80 mph (though the car itself) did not seem to have rapid acceleration) then the speedometer dropped to 50 mph. Over the phone my husband advised I turn on the cruise control and turn it off again. I did and drove about 45 minutes home at speeds from 55-65 without another incident. I will take the car to a dealership tomorrow to check out. The vehicle has approx. 100,000 miles on it.

- Redding, CA, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

Will someone please call me asap. My Toyota Sienna suddenly accelerated last week in des moines, ia. Toyota is saying that Sienna's are not under recall. I was traveling with my husband and two children. The brakes could not stop the vehicle, nor did shifting it into neutral, park, or reverse. The only thing that worked was pulling the key from the ignition at about 75 miles per hour. The Toyota Sienna is a time bomb. The sudden acceleration of my Sienna has happened at least two other times. Toyota is claiming that the floor mats caused it, but my husband and I checked the floor mats, they were not the problem. Toyota wants us to come get the van but it's not safe. From NHTSA web site. Updated 05/24/10 updated 03/09/11 updated 06/23/14

- Lone Tree, IA, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated while utilizing the cruise control at 40 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated without driver intent. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. There were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 05/26/10 the consumer stated the only way to stop the vehicle was by pulling the key out of the ignition. Updated 05/28/10. Updated 06/29/10. Updated 07/08/10.

- Lone Tree, IA, USA

Mar 012010

Sienna

We own a 2005 Toyota Sienna that has had an ongoing sudden acceleration problem since we bought the car new in 2005. The engine will suddenly accelerate when turning the car at lower speeds. This problem has been documented hundreds and hundreds of times, by Sienna owners on siennaclub.com (no longer in use) and on siennachat.com. The members on these sites have complained to Toyota for years about this problem. We have taken the car in for "reprogramming" but that did not fix the situation.

- Winchester, VA, USA

May 252009

Sienna

While driving from ca to va in may of 2009 I experienced an unintended acceleration while in cruise control. This occurred after I would slow down for traffic and then activate the resume control. This happened on several occasions during the trip East and on the return trip back to ca. The speeds with the unintended acceleration reached 95mph on the first occasion and stopped once I applied the brakes. After the first incident I was able to keep the acceleration from reaching more than 10 to 15 mph over the assigned cruise control speed.

- Laguna Woods , CA, USA

Feb 122010

Sienna

The electronic throttle control system on my van is malfunctioning and it puts the vehicle in "fail safe" mode. The local Toyota dealer as well as Toyota customer service do not want to investigate this recurring problem for the dtc P0121. The dealers do not analyze the freeze frame data or investigate the problem beyond reading the code from obd II scanner. I had asked them for the electrical values for the throttle valve motor and the accelerator pedal but they have refused that information and want me to replace the throttle body by spending $1200. The first time this problem started when the vehicle had 50,000 miles and I replaced the throttle body from same year and model vehicle with 20,000 miles. Now after 10,000 miles same problem has started again and the dealer as well as Toyota want me to replace the throttle body. I feel that the throttle body or the gas pedal in conjunction with other electrical components are causing the dtc code and merely replacing the throttle body second time will not fix the problem unless the newer throttle bodies are without the problem original throttle bodies had. In that case I should not have to pay for the replacement part. It is important that the problem is investigated and identified before any parts are replaced. I also offered Toyota the original throttle body from the vehicle for testing / checking for the problem but they refused my offer. This sudden loss of drivebility due to the activation of "fail safe" mode is dangerous and could result in accident and / or fatality. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Feb 192010

Sienna

3 times in the past 5 days (once last Friday 2/19 and twice today 2/23) my 2005 Toyota Sienna has lunged forward while driving in traffic at 35 mph. I did not feel the pedal move under my foot. The surge was momentarily, but had there been anything close, I would have hit it. I drove immed to bell Toyota, phoenix, AZ and was turned away at the service dept (it is not on the recall list and there was nothing they could do) they suggested I call Toyota. I called Toyota, they suggested I go to a dealership. I emailed Toyota Corp. They suggested I go to a dealership. Bell rd Toyota offered to do a diagnostic check for a $108 fee. I called wright Toyota, scottsdale and they agreed to do a health insp. For free.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 052010

Sienna

After I read the article about apple Inc. Co-founder steve "woz" wozniak's experience about his 2010 prius, I was relieved somewhat from my own doubt and confusion. I bought a used 2005 Sienna xle limited (with radar sensor) last November with 95000 mileage. It accelerated unintentionally several times when I was using cruise control with only single push of the acceleration handle. I once let the car went up to 90 mph before I braked it off from the cruise control mode. The acceleration was very powerful when it malfunctioned. All happened in several seconds. You could hear the engine revering loudly towards full speed. I had no problem to brake it off every time though. I also believe it is an electronic or software problem since none of my feet was on any pedal when this happened and there was no floor mat issue at all.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Sienna

I purchased my Toyota Sienna in June 2008. This past summer(2009) and fall my wife complained that the vehicle accelerated own its own twice. Both occurrences were in parking lots when she was coming to a complete stop, suddenly the car lunged forward. She was lucky both times with no accidents. I initially brushed it off thinking she accidentally hit the gas pedal and didn't realize it. With the recent recalls I am surprised that the Sienna has not been recalled. Now, I am concerned about the vehicle's safety (which is why I bought the Toyota in the 1st place). I would please like my Sienna looked at for the same acceleration recall issue.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Oct 102006

Sienna

Toyota 2005 Sienna limited xle when using cruise control (we only use this on highway while traveling so this occurs at that time. When we take the cruise off and then restart it is accelerates and fortunately we can brake to get it incontrol, for example, if we have the cruise set at 70 and disengage when we reengaged it will automatically accelerate for 90 miles or greater. We took it to our Toyota dealer and he said it could be the linkage - we have been told by a mechanic that there is no such thing in the 2005 Toyota this is a continuing problem.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Oct 312008

Sienna 6-cyl

On or about October 31, 2008, a 2005 Toyota Sienna xle accelerated suddenly and unexpectedly. The driver steered the vehicle around cars, curbs and other obstructions while the vehicle continued to accelerate through a parking lot. Attempts to brake the vehicle were futile. The vehicle eventually hit a curb which deflated a tire, then continued through a chain-link fence and a field and into a portable building, finally coming to a stop. The driver was injured in the unintended acceleration incident and died. Updated 02/26/10 updated 09/28/10 update 9/19/2011

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 092009

Sienna

While pulling into the driveway and slowing to a stop, the car suddenly lurched and then accelerated forward, pushing the car through the garage door and about 10 feet into the garage before the engine stopped revving and came to a stop. The rollup garage door was destroyed. The impact scraped the front bumper of the car and made a small dent on the roof near the top of the windshield.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 202010

Sienna

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and it also has acceleration problems like the ones listed by Toyota. The car jumps speed all of a sudden. I think they should be looked at for safety reasons also considering many people take kids in these vans.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 152005

Sienna

Toyota Sienna 2005. Intermittently the car accelerates on its own. Has been happening since I bought it. Never thought much about it, because it would slow down when I put on brakes. In light of the recent problems with other models, I think this is part of the problem. The car feels as if it was on cruise control, getting up to speed. However, I have never used cruise control as I don't like it. Is there a link between the cruise control and these problems?

- Middletown, DE, USA

Jun 142007

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. While driving 65 mph the vehicle accelerated and moved to one side of the road; however, after the engine shut off it reset and began driving normally. The contact stated that the duplicate failure occurred in 2009 and the accelerator pedal was stuck. The contact had to reach down and pull the pedal from the stuck position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that there was nothing wrong with it. The contact stated that the failure occurred at least three to four times. The Toyota manufacturer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Port Richiey, FL, USA

May 012009

Sienna

2009: One incident several months to a year ago if I am not mistaken that my car accelerated. It felt like my car had increased by a significant amount in mph. I thought I pressed the gas. I attempted to accelerated a bit but the car appeared to accelerate on its own. I believe I stepped on the brake at some point but it did not change the acceleration. I can't say if I put on brakes first to slow myself down or accelerated. However, I do know neither one affected the car from the acceleration. The acceleration stopped on its own. I have not had any other incident but I am acutely cautious when driving because that incident did seem unusual and worrisome at the time. I did not report B/C I placed it as isolated. I, however, want to ensure the safety of others and my family. I am sure of this experience as an occurrence that should be reported.

- Silver Spring , MD, USA

Oct 192009

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. While approaching a complete stop the vehicle lurched forward. Consequently he crashed into some bushes, and then into a boulder. The vehicle was taken to a Toyota dealer, and a technician repaired the front bumper and all other body damages. The technician then added that his vehicle was not included in the recent Toyota recall for the floor mats. The failure mileage was 52000. The current mileage was 55000. Updated 3/16/10 updated 07/27/10

- Mt. Prospect, IL, USA

Sep 152008

Sienna

July 2008 I was driving my 2005 Toyota Sienna I was on the ramp to enter the highway doing 35mph when my car suddenly jumped to 75mph without me touching the gas pedal. I stayed calm because my kids were in the car with and I didn't want to scare them. Thank god I jumped in the next lane where were not to many cars and just pressed the brake pedal hard thank god the car slowed down. I knew something was wrong with the car. I took to the mechanic he found nothing out of place. It later happened again maybe two weeks late this time I was on city streets and did the basically the same thing as before. I recently saw reports and I was not alone and was something very wrong with the Toyota system. Please do something before any more people get hurt.

- Chicago, IL, USA