2005 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stability control off warning light illuminated and engine would surge, the rpms would decrease and the vehicle would jerk to the left. The contact indicated that the failure would occur for approximately 10 seconds. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- East Willingston, NY, USA

Jul 072016

I was backing out of my garage and I have an L shaped driveway. I was going approx. 2mph and then I took my foot off the gas and was "covering" the brake and suddenly the car began to accelerate and I tried to brake, but the car slammed into a parked car and still did not stop. It continued to accelerate until I ended up in the street. I was trying to brake the entire time, but the car did not stop and continued to accelerate. My foot was not on the gas. We live on a residential street in the suburbs and luckily no one was hurt. The Sienna and the parked car both have extensive body damage.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Sep 072012

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna's vehicle stability control engaged for no reason while in many different conditions (dry, wet, curve, straight, it didn't matter) making me lose control of the car. The vsc, trac off and check engine lights came on and a beeping sound engaged while the care took over not allowing driver input. I had to put it in neutral until it turned off. I have read many accounts online of other Toyota Sienna drivers experiencing the same dangerous problem. Thank goodness when it has happened, I haven't had a truck or semi next to me. This is my family car in which I need to drive my kids and other people's kids, and I cannot drive it anymore. Toyota has to fix this problem, since it is a manufacturer problem.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Sienna 6-cyl

On Monday, Oct. 13, 2014, I was slowly backing out of my driveway when my 2005 Toyota Sienna van suddenly accelerated rapidly and uncontrollably. I tried to stop the van, but it sped backwards across the street in front of my house, ran over a curb, and crashed into a parked car. The car that my van struck pushed into another car which was also damaged. This was most frightening and upsetting, especially since I have learned that this type of malfunction has been reported many times to Toyota. My van was totaled, the second car may have been totaled and the third car will need at least a new door. A woman who was in the third car is claiming to have been injured.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Aug 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while at a stop sign attempting to make a left turn, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to approximately 25 mph. The vehicle failed to slow down or stop although the brake pedal was engaged. The contact stated that after turning the engine off and restarting it, the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted in reference to the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Grayslake, IL, USA

Jan 012014

On hwy 1 from pacifica to santa cruz, driving approx, 45-50mph around the bends and curves, the van's vsc light would come on along with warning beeping and the car would try to "correct" itself by steering straight when I needed it not to. This happened again approx. 1-2 months later while driving along hwy 50, at approx. 45-50mph up to South lake Tahoe on the same dry, but winding/curvy roads, the car would try to "correct" itself by steering straight. Again, on June 17th, along hwy 50 approx. 45-50mph just taking the exit off of the freeway, steering into the right hand turn lane, the car vsc light, beeping and steering "correction". this is very dangerous!!!! I am surprised that it has not caused an accident yet!. I need the car to turn for a reason!! please feel free to contact me for further information. I took it to the Toyota dealership and they said that the van had no logs from the sensors (steering angle or yaw). We asked them to recalibrate it (set it back to zero), but that obviously hasn't worked. I have ordered a new steering angle sensor and I am having it installed and the system recalibrated, in hopes that will fix the issue.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

May 302014

Driving 45 to 50 mph on a road on a dry sunny day. Suddenly vsc light came on and warning beep and at the same time the brakes engaged causing a rapid slow down of the van. I almost swerved into the next lane due to the brakes engaging. This happened 3 times in one morning. This is extremely dangerous as it could cause a collision, especially at higher speeds.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

May 212014

Sienna 6-cyl

The accelerator stuck on this van as I was passing another vehicle on a rural, two lane road. As soon as I depressed the accelerator to pass, I knew something was wrong. The gas pedal stayed down even after I removed my foot and the van continued to accelerate even faster even though I was now hitting the brakes hard! with curves in the road approaching in about a mile, I had to do something fast! I was standing on the brakes with both feet now and the van continued to speed up. I was able to shift it into neutral, all the while continuing to stand on the brakes. The engine revved even faster but I was able to get the van turned off the road into a farm field access drive. The van still wasn't stopping but at least I was off the road and not going to hit another vehicle. As the van continued to move, I thought about bailing out but thankfully, I didn't. the van was still going fast enough it could've run over me and I had no idea where it would end up if I got out! by the grace of god, the van finally stopped after I started turning the wheel hard to the left. I shifted it into park and shut it off while I sat there shaking and trying to decide who to call first. This situation could have turned out extremely bad had the circumstances been different. Thank god there was no one in front of me while this was going on, I wasn't in a congested area of houses or other vehicles or on a busy highway. I'm so glad one of our boys wasn't driving this when it happened! this was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me while driving over 30 years! the van was towed to the dealership where we purchased it and have had it serviced faithfully. I'm waiting to hear back from them when they will be able to look at it.

- West Salem, OH, USA

Dec 222012

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Sienna was driven to a parking garage and parked for two hours. Upon returning to the Sienna and starting the engine, three lights came on; check engine, vsc, and trac off. Drove vehicle home (150 miles), the 3 lights remained on as well as loss of cruise control and an intermittent compass display. Took vehicle in for inspection at a local Toyota dealer and was told the skid control unit ECU needed to be replaced. I found out there are other complaints and a technical service bulletin on the 2005 Sienna vehicle stability control (also called electronic stability control) system that has caused injuries. Even more remarkable, my 2005 Sienna has only 62K miles and in that time there has been 2 other incidences with the same symptoms. Why has there not been a recall if there are already injuries in the database??

- Torrance, CA, USA

Feb 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

During the turning of the steering wheel to the left at 5-10 mph, in making a left turn, clicks and clunking noise could be heard and felt through the steering wheel. At one point, I had to apply bigger turning force to the left as if I was overcoming some unusual resistance in the steering column, making the turn uneasy and non-smooth.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Feb 242012

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated the vehicle abnormally accelerate as she had just taken the gear shift out of park.. the contact was unable to control the vehicle and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 62,005.....updated 06/18/12 the consumer stated one month before the accident, the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was inspected, but a problem was never found. The vehicle idled rough and it was noisy. Updated 06/22/12

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 242011

My wife had sudden acceleration issue with our 2005 Toyota Sienna le mini-van. When she was dropping our son outside our apartment complex at under 15 mph, car magically accelerated and ended up hitting a tree. Front passenger was totally damaged and car is totaled. We had approx 65K miles on minivan.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

Our 2005 Toyota Sienna took off on us in rush hour traffic. Moving my foot to the brake and my husband shifting into neutral was the first thing we tried, we also tried park and reverse, and turning off the cruise control, none of which worked. The Toyota Sienna death trap continued to accelerate rapidly even though my foot was jammed on the brake (I didn't remove my foot from the brake for another 2 1/2 hrs until the tow truck pulled in front of us. By the way, when your vehicle is suddenly traveling much, much faster than anyone else's vehicle on the road, it's all you can do to not hit someone. Believe me, I was suddenly swerving in and out of the lanes and cutting everyone off. The only thing that stopped our Toyota death trap was pulling the key from the ignition, certainly not ideal in rush hour traffic. While this was going on, our son was in the backseat calling 911, while our daughter cried. We don't have a lawyer and Toyota won't fix our van. What are we supposed to do with it?

- Lone Tree, IA, USA

Feb 242011

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna uncontrolled acceleration on the highway. My wife was passing another vehicle, and when she merged back into the right lane, the vehicle maintained speed even though she let off of the accelerator. She managed to get it under control within a few seconds. This is the 2nd time that this has happened. The vehicle has 64,000 miles.

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 142010

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna. Attorney writes on behalf of clients in regards to a collision due to unintended acceleration as the consumer was slowly attempting to park the vehicle, it suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated out of control. The vehicle hit a pole directly ahead, went airborne and landed on top of a parked vehicle and rolled to the side. The consumers left hand fingers were crushed causing injuries.

- Encino, CA, USA

Nov 102010

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The vehicle was parked with the engine running. The contact engaged the brakes and the vehicle began to lunge forward and accelerated into a building. The building sustained moderate damages. The police were not called to the scene. There was no personal injury; and the vehicle's front bumper paint exhibited minor chipping. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to replicate the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Danville, VA, USA

Nov 032010

Sienna 6-cyl

While very slowly pulling my 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan into a parking space, when the vehicle had nearly come to a complete stop, all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated to full throttle, hopping over the concrete bumper at end of parking space and crashing head on into a pole. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and is awaiting inspection by the insurance adjuster.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 182010

Sienna 6-cyl

I had a sudden acceleration incident in my 2005 Toyota Sienna. I was making a slow U-turn in front of my home into a parking space by the curb on the far side of the street. The width of the street is such that even with the steering wheel turned fully to the left, the passenger tire rises up a driveway incline just before the car is 180 degrees around. As I usually do for this turn, I need to turn slightly more than 180 degrees, have the passenger tire come out of the driveway, then turn back to be parallel to the curb. I had slightly misjudged the turn this time, and realized that my passenger tire was going to have to drop an inch or two off the rising curb at the edge of the driveway. Because of this I am certain I had my foot on the brake pedal to keep my speed down. About 5 feet before the wheel was going to come off the curb, the car lurched forward, jumped the curb violently and fast, and continued my turn carrying me partly back into the street. I was very surprised, but brought the car to a stop quickly with the brake. The engine was no longer revving once I stopped. I estimate tat the acceleration lasted for not more than 2 seconds, possibly only 1 second. I reversed the car and then drove it forward into my intended parking space. After putting the shifter into P, I revved the engine and everything seemed fine. Fortunately, there was no accident and no damage I am aware of (although the passenger wheel did make a thump as it came over the curb).

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Jul 052005

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that when slowing down to make a turn or slowing down with the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle would not respond and suddenly the vehicle lunged forward. The vehicle lunged forward then vehicle began function normally. The dealer stated that they could not duplicate the failure. The service manager also stated that there were no recalls or defect investigations related to the failure. The failure continued to occur intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 28,000. Updated 09/24/10. Updated 09/24/10

- Moline , IL, USA

May 262010

Letter from congressman loebsack's office on behalf of constituent re sudden acceleration of Toyota Sienna the consumer stated the vehicle suddenly accelerated while traveling with her husband and two children. The brakes did not stop the vehicle, nor did shifting the gear into neutral, park or reverse. The RPM needle went all the way to the right and there was a loud roar coming from the engine. The consumer pulled the key from ignition at about 75 mph in the middle of rush hour traffic. The consumer stated the sudden acceleration occurred twice before. Toyota claimed the floor mats were the cause, however the consumer's husband checked the floor mats and they were not the problem. Updated 06/15/10.

- Lone Tree, IA, USA