2005 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 112013

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle's traction control engages without cause when traveling more than 35 mph on a curve or bend. Road speed limit is somewhere between 55-60 mph. If vehicle is traveling more than 40 mph, car's traction control and brakes engage, slowing car down to 35 mph. Road conditions are normal. Vehicle has been seen by local Toyota dealership over 5 times in the last year. They are unable to diagnose issue or reproduce it. We have been almost been rear ended due to this faulty issue.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012014

On hwy 1 from pacifica to santa cruz, driving approx, 45-50mph around the bends and curves, the van's vsc light would come on along with warning beeping and the car would try to "correct" itself by steering straight when I needed it not to. This happened again approx. 1-2 months later while driving along hwy 50, at approx. 45-50mph up to South lake Tahoe on the same dry, but winding/curvy roads, the car would try to "correct" itself by steering straight. Again, on June 17th, along hwy 50 approx. 45-50mph just taking the exit off of the freeway, steering into the right hand turn lane, the car vsc light, beeping and steering "correction". this is very dangerous!!!! I am surprised that it has not caused an accident yet!. I need the car to turn for a reason!! please feel free to contact me for further information. I took it to the Toyota dealership and they said that the van had no logs from the sensors (steering angle or yaw). We asked them to recalibrate it (set it back to zero), but that obviously hasn't worked. I have ordered a new steering angle sensor and I am having it installed and the system recalibrated, in hopes that will fix the issue.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Sienna 6-cyl

First, I noticed some oil stains on my drive way, then I drove my minivan to a local Toyota car dealer for check up and routine oil change. Next day, I noticed a bigger oil stain. Anyway, I had an appointment and have to drive my minivan to my dentist office, on the highway, I saw smoke came out of my front hood. Then, I drove it to the same Toyota dealer afterwards. It was quite scary driving and seeing smoke came out of my front hood especially with my young daughter on board today. At one moment, I thought my car will be on fire. On the paper, I was told that my leaking is from rack and pinion steering system. I called Toyota customer service, and the person who assisted me state his surprise of this rack and pinion leaking for such a low mileage car. I would like to file a mechanical damage report toward Toyota defective parts.

- Thousand Oaks, , CA, USA

Aug 082013

Sienna 6-cyl

I was backing out of space in parking lot. With engine still on and running, the steering column locked and the brakes became inoperative. Fortunately I was able to jam down on emergency brake to keep from backing into other vehicles across the aisle in the lot.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Jul 172013

Sienna 6-cyl

Rack and pinion had to be replaced because of leakage.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Apr 232013

My wife started the car and claimed how hard it was to turn the steering wheel. We drove to a location using the expressway and the problem continued. It made turning under motion very difficult. I took the wheel on our return and confirmed how awkward it was. So we drove to our garage. They called us later and said the input shaft malfunctioned. Cost of part from Toyota $374.19 plus tax and labor. Only one left in stock. Is it possible that Toyota has a problem that needs to be recognized and recalled before there are serious accidents?

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 222013

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle had been parked. When we backed out I turned the wheel to the left. There was a "clunk" and it felt like I just went over some object with the right front tire. We could find nothing in the parking lot that would contribute to this. I drove the car that day without further incident. The next day we went on a 430 mile trip. Several times that we parked we heard the same "clunk" and felt a slight drop in the right front. I went to the Toyota dealer as soon as I could get an appointment on 2/26/13. Toyota found that the internal power steering rack was failing and had to be replaced for safety. The part number was: 0 44250-08041. I asked Toyota if there were any safety recalls. There were none. Toyota said these failures did occur on trucks in heavy duty use but not in Sienna mini-vans.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 122011

Sienna 6-cyl

Steering very hard and "bumpy" during low speed maneuvering when first driven for the day. Internet search revealed many others have very similar problem that improved after spraying "steering knuckle" with penetrating type oil. Appears steering link is becoming corroded and sticky. Vehicle is always garaged when not being driven. Called Toyota dealer, they are aware of problem but say Toyota hq has not authorized them to do any work without full pay. Appears lots of people are having belts, power steering pumps, etc replaced at great expense at independent and dealer repair shops without solving the problem or the problem even being correctly diagnosed. Lucky I have internet and refer to it in these situations. Guess I can now have mine repaired for $1-2000 or do the temporary oil fix. Lots of money when its a manufacturing design defect and they won't help.

- Wicomico Church, VA, USA

Jan 112012

Sienna 6-cyl

The boots of the rack and pinion leaked and it seems that it is a common problem. They even have a tsb for it and Toyota said replace the whole rack and pinion which is very expensive.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Sep 272012

Sienna 6-cyl

First of all, this vehicle has had all routine maintenance performed on a timely basis, and is in very good condition. Car was taken in for routine oil change, and to have a review of a noise coming from the right, driver's side. Was told rack and pinion steering was leaking, and needs to be replaced for a cost of $1200.

- Endwell, NY, USA

Sep 242012

Sienna 6-cyl

Upon routine oil change appointment, vehicle was found to need the power steering rack replaced. It appears this has been a common problem in Toyota Sienna minivans model years 2004 through 2006. Repair requires replacing power steering rack and aligning car, totaling more than $1000.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Aug 142012

Sienna 6-cyl

While I was driving, my steering started locking on me. I was going thru mountain driving and as I try to get control on situation it started to become much harder to control. To avoid any unpleasant incident I decided to move over in right lane and slow down significantly to keep control on the car. Once the mountain driving was over I tried to find reliable shop to get this issue fixed as this was getting worst. We were fortunate to come out without injury but next family facing this issue might not be. I did research regarding this issue on internet and it appears that many more consumer has experience similar problem with same model. I would like to request a proper investigation for consumer safety. Thank you

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

During the turning of the steering wheel to the left at 5-10 mph, in making a left turn, clicks and clunking noise could be heard and felt through the steering wheel. At one point, I had to apply bigger turning force to the left as if I was overcoming some unusual resistance in the steering column, making the turn uneasy and non-smooth.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Jul 172012

Sienna 6-cyl

During inspection and repair of other vehicle recalls, it was determined that power steering assembly was severely leaking fluids, that radiator was leaking in 3 places, and air conditioning coils hoses\brackets were corroded and cracked due to manufacturer using two dissimilar metals (such as steel bolts in aluminum assembly) and thereby requiring immediate replacement for safety. Toyota dealership upon inspection declared steering assembly a "critical" repair and issued written documentation. I took vehicle to another shop and they confirmed Toyota's dealers conclusion and also found radiator and conditioning coils problems missed by dealer. All problems have been fixed at owners expense - a recall should be made by manufacturer.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

May 162012

Sienna 6-cyl

My vehicle 2005 Toyota Sienna xle limited AWD is experiencing a serious safety scare and concern, I have noticed the steering wheel column making loud pop noise at idle while turning the wheel, and while driving and turn at the speed 15mph or up. The loud pop and clicking noise is also associated with the feeling the U joint at the steering column shaft is badly design, and causing a real safety concern for the general public, this pop noise problem truly deserve a recall by Toyota to fix this safety issue to avoid future injury or death accidents to occur for everybody.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Apr 262012

The steering on this vehicle has become very hard. At variuos speeds the steering goes from fluid to hard, and feels as though it's turning on a flat tire.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Sep 132011

Sienna 6-cyl

1. second row seat belt locked tight to passenger (unable to loosen) during steady speed as well when in standby. Need to unlatch and fullly retract in order to extend it out again. 2. rack and pinion starts leaking power steering fluid and starts generating noise when making a turn. 3. passenger side slide door fails to open from inside and by remote. Further research confirmed failure of lock release actuator.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 072011

Sienna 6-cyl

Steering has become difficult on 2005 Sienna. Feels like it is binding and releasing. It is intermediate and can happen during turning or a sticking when adjusting down a straight away. Thru the internet, it seems the intermediate shaft assembly with a universal joint that fails from corrosion is to blame and I will be replacing it soon. After documented cases here and several Toyota tsbs this isn't getting as much consideration as it deserves.

- Ashburnham, MA, USA

Aug 112011

Sienna 6-cyl

Vehicle did feel safe to drive because it was very hard to turn and driving was like there was a loose wheel. My wife almost climbed curves when she tried to make turns. Brought the car to the dealer and they replaced the binding steering shaft and binding steering rack. The 2005 Toyota Sienna had only 41,000 miles on it. The car was not involved in any accident or major repair. I believe this is a safety issue and a recall need be issued.

- Melrose, MA, USA