2006 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

The passenger side door (automatic) does not close. It will attempt to close itself but will stop just before closing. The door will pause for 1-2 seconds and then re-open and stay in the open position. Multiple attempts have the same effect. Disconnecting the battery does not resolve the problem.

- Wilsonville, OR, USA

Sep 302011

Sienna 6-cyl

The Toyota Sienna 2006 automated sliding side door began to stick and close more slowly about a month before it became permanently stuck. Once it became stuck, the door would not close, requiring me to drive with a half-open door to the dealership or have the car towed. When I took it to the Toyota dealership they informed me I could pay $1600 to replace the door motor and fix the cable. Toyota did not inform me that we could cut the cable as a way to make the door at least function. I requested they cut the cable, permanently converting the sliding side door to a manually operated sliding door. There should be a recall on this door malfunction, which places children sitting in the back area of the Sienna at risk when the sliding door unexpectedly fails.

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Sep 302011

Sienna 6-cyl

The power sliding door on the passenger side will not open (electronically or manually), and there is a broken steel cable extending from the back of that door toward the back of the rear passenger window. The dealer can't even open it. This a huge safety issue for us, and we may be forced to pay >$3,000 just to be able to open our door. Suppose there was an accident and the car was on the other side...we'd have a very tough time getting the kids out. This should be recalled.

- Carlisle, MA, USA

Aug 312011

Sienna 6-cyl

The motor on the sliding power door failed. I called Toyota and was told I would have to pay to repair it. I have an extended warranty on my car but it is not a covered component.

- Hanson, MA, USA

Sep 232011

Sienna

Upon returning home from picking up my child at school, I was unable to close the left sliding door to the van. I tried with all of the buttons (van, door frame, remote - I even disabled the automatic door and tried manually), but nothing worked. It would close about 2/3 of the way and that was it. I contacted Toyota usa and at first, the man with whom I spoke inferred that this was not a problem he had heard about. After some time, he admitted that this has been an issue in the past. At my local dealership, the technician stated that the plastic piece that goes on the cable is known to break, which is what happened to my van. These plastic pieces fell into the motor, which made it malfunction. In order for the automatic door to shut again, I would have to replace the entire motor and cable according to the technician. The estimate given was approx. $2300. This is not an unknown problem to Toyota; the design team recognized this issue and made improvements to later models yet there has not been a recall issued. Had I been out with one or both of my children, we would have been stranded, unable to close the door - automatically or manually. The door would not shut. I would like to see this issue investigated and for Toyota to take ownership of the problem.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 242011

Sienna 6-cyl

Toyota Sienna 2006 (xle limited) sliding door problem: Sliding door on driver's side got struck when opened and never closing back. Showed it to dealer and he confirmed that the motor failed and need a replacement.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

May 012011

Sienna

Both automatic side doors malfunctioned within one month of each other. The can open them manually from the outside, but it is difficult to do so (especially if parked on a hill) and is dangerous for small children. The passenger side door does not open from the inside. A cable is hanging off the passenger side of the van. This is a major inconvenience and it is unacceptable for this to happen - both doors within one month on a vehicle made by the name Toyota. We bought this van because we knew of Toyota's great reputation of durability and service and we expect Toyota to come through and rectify this situation. Also, I know we are not alone with this problem as there is over 560 postings on edmunds with similar complaints about the side doors. We request an immediate recall on these doors and expect them to be fixed free of charge!

- Savage, MN, USA

May 012011

- Savage, MN, USA

Aug 212011

Sienna

Attempted to close automatic passenger side rear slider door and it became inoperable before closing. Alarm/beep alerted that the door was not closed, remaining open about six inches away from closing completely. The door remained stuck in the open position with five passengers (two adults/three children) traveling from there destination in a extremely dangerous and unsecured vehicle to there home. The seven year old triplets and adults in the auto had been exposed to a very unsafe and dangerous form transportation. Cables had to be released in order to close the door, and caused several failed attempts to properly secure the door, since cable lines are preventing complete closure. Vehicle was taken to Toyota dealer and diagnosed with a motor assembly failure at a cost of $1,750 dollars to repair. This has caused a seriously dangerous problem when exiting vehicle.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 092011

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The contact then performed a jump start on the battery in order to start the vehicle. The failure occurred a second time. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostics, where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure, but stated that there was a draw on the battery that was related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- New Milford, CT, USA

May 222011

Sienna

2006 Toyota Sienna with 70,000 miles on it passenger rear sliding door motor just quit working. Cost of repair is approximately $2000. Toyota referred my wife to extended warranty department for a $2600 extended warranty. Rear door is not usable and will not open unless we pay the $ 2000.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Apr 252011

Sienna

2006 Toyota Sienna (approx. 89,000 miles) suddenly had flashing airbag light come on April 25, 2011. Vehicle is single owner, personal use. Never involved in any accidents. Took to dealer, was told that air bag harness and front airbag wiring was bad, entire system would need replaced for about $2,400. Spoke with Toyota corporate office, they offered to by for 50% of repair. Had service manager at dealership contact district service parts manager to appeal for additional funding from Toyota, again was told that only 50% of cost would be covered by Toyota. This issue is related to faulty wiring/parts and not to mileage, which is what I am repeatedly told is the reason the repair is not covered (out of 5 year/60,000 mile warranty window).

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Mar 302011

Sienna

My wife started the car and the air bag light started flashing. So we looked up in the owner's manual and it said to bring the vehicle in asap because the air bags could deploy on their own. We took vehicle to miller Toyota in manassas, va and they repaired the vehicle by replacing 2 passenger side air bags and the harness at a cost of $2353.70 to us. SRS warning light continued flashing after start up. Dealer confirmed error code B0111. Passengers air bag and harness needs replaced. These items are covered with "updated parts" in a Toyota tsb 0162-10, dated 02/27/2008, covering Sienna model years 2004 through 2008. Over one hundred similar occurrences are found on various safety related and owner based internet sites. This is an obvious oem defect of a critical vehicle system that Toyota has been aware of for some time now.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Dec 272010

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the speedometer was giving an inaccurate reading; it stated that the vehicle was traveling 5 mph faster than it actually was. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the margin of error was 1-5 percent. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 57,200. Updated 5/2/11 updated 05/13/11

- New Port Richie, FL, USA

Mar 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Sienna limited van (34,000 miles) with automatic rear and sliding doors. 1 month ago right rear sliding door stopped opening when using manual door latch. If you manually unlatch door, you must manually open it about one third before motor kicks in to open it fully. Works ok using overhead console button and when using fob buttons. Took van to Toyota dealer on 2/28/11. They could not duplicate problem. Went to pick van up on 3/1/11. Sliding door again not working. They kept van several more hours for troubleshooting. Problem remains. They said there is no fix for this problem but they did send in a technical report to Toyota. After checking out and finally getting ready to leave dealer the van would not start. The battery had died. Dealer replaced battery. After that and for 2 more days, the sliding door worked ok. On morning of third day, the sliding door problem returned. Still will not open automatically using manual door latch.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 302010

Sienna

Latches/locks/linkages sliding electric side door jammed. The door will not shut or open. It is basically jammed and I have to put all of my weight into the door to get it to latch shut. Based on online complaints, it is not covered under warranty and will cost about $1500 to fix

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 142010

Sienna

Toyota Sienna le 2006 with 72,000 miles automatic broke down on the highway --- refusing to go beyond 35miles an hour and check engine light came on. The Toyota dealer claimed that the transmission had to be replaced at a cost of about 5500 + and diagnosed only transmission problem. To get a second opinion, we got the vehicle towed to aamco, the transmission experts. Aamco replaced valve body, torque converter, and their standard banner kit + transmission cooling system flush and clean. Aamco asked us to be soft on the transmission for a tank of gas. Inspite of driving slowly, we noticed that the transmission change from about 1st to 2nd gear was very slow and the car had like a hiccup when trying to accelerate and exhibited vibration at higher speeds. When we took it back to aamco, they test drove the same and now claim the computer (ECM?) is not learning the gear shift and needs to be replaced. Toyota dealer claims that the 8yr/80000mile warranty on the computer is only for a manufacturing defect and refuses to acknowledge that the computer is misbehaving. There is no check engine light or error code, but the vehicle remains sluggish. We are waiting for the pricing of the ECM module and would sincerely appreciate if the problem is acknowledged and resolved by Toyota. Gone are the days when Toyota was a reliable car --- we are frustrated with the whole episode and unfortunately are not confident of what else needs to get replaced to get the car up and running.

- Bordentown, NJ, USA

Sep 142010

Sienna

1. the passenger-side, sliding door on my '04 xle, 93,000 mi minivan just failed 2. doors are key to safety and security! its happening more often and I'm afraid to carry my child in the car for the case of emergency. 3. I could not afford to pay $2200 repair cost of the door. It is same problem with everyone else that I have came across with! "the cable" and its not covered by the extended warranty since they knew it was going to happen. The exact parts that were in the needs were listed not to be covered. This is obvious reasons that is been recognized from the Toyota company. I have check and most of the Sienna owners are suffering from the exact problem. This got to stop!

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 042010

Sienna

The rear hatch on my 2006 Toyota Sienna xle had the struts replaced under recall. Now, the power hatch will occasionally fail to close. I have started driving the van on one or two occasions without realizing that the rear hatch was still open because it had failed to close. Luckily, nothing fell out of the back of the van, but I think it is a real danger. I brought it up with Toyota, and they told me it would cost $1500 to fix. The problem did not start until the recalled lift supports were put in so I don't think I should be responsible for these incompatible parts. I did an online search of this problem, and it is clear that this is a very common problem for those of us who have had our lift supports changed out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 142010

Sienna

Back hatch on Toyota Sienna xle (2006) will not close automatically (via buttons or fob) in warm weather (I.e. over approx. 83 degrees). Must be closed manually. Only happens when vehicle has been sitting in sun. Have heard same complaint from numerous other owners of same make and model and later models. Started occurring shortly after new struts were installed to address recall for hatchback unexpectedly falling down without warning. Several engineers have suggested the new struts are too strong for existing hatchback motor (stronger strut mechanism used to prevent hatchback from falling). Recommend new motor to match strength of recall replacement struts.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA