2006 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 112015

Sienna

This afternoon I entered the highway and was going about 60-65 mph when my car suddenly started accelerating on its own, I repeatedly depressed the brake, even standing on it in an attempt to slow the car. The car was making a revving sound and the brakes were doing nothing to slow the car, it just kept accelerating. Finally, the brakes seemed to engage, the revving stopped, and the car seemed normal again. I pulled off the highway and called aaa to have the car towed to mechanic. Car has about 105,000 miles on it and it's been very reliable up until now. I will report to Toyota and I will not drive this car again, much less let my children ride in it.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 182015

Sienna 6-cyl

I was driving my Toyota Sienna 2006 today morning and the driver in front of me abruptly stopped. I was maintaining a safe distance and immediately hit my brakes. Although the brakes seemed to engage, the car accelerated and very badly rear-ended the car in front me. Has this happened to anyone before with the car auto-accelerating on it's own?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 152008

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While parking the vehicle, it accelerated independently without warning and crashed into the contact's residence. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries reported. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was repaired for the damages, but the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Mar 132015

Sienna 6-cyl

On March 13, 2015 driving on I-95 South in a 2006 Toyota Sienna van the cruise control would not disengage when the brakes were applied approaching an exit ramp. The vehicle would not slowdown in spite of pressing the brake pedal as hard as possible. Moving the control lever forward to disengage the function was also not successful. The exit ramp was inclined so the cruise control accelerated the engine in an attempt to maintain our speed at 70 mph. The vehicle went thru a stop sign, bounced off the guard rail and came to a sudden stop with the engine not running. The impact destroyed the right side of the vehicle and the stopping was so abrupt that the cell phone (in my shirt pocket)flew out ripping the pocket off the shirt. Neither the front nor the side air bags were deployed. Skid marks made by the vehicleż's right front tire (and possibly the rear right tire) prior to and after hitting the guard rail indicate the brakes were working on at least this side. Skid marks attributable to the left hand tires were not noticed.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Oct 172014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While stopped at a traffic light with the brakes engaged, the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000...updated 04/23/15...updated08/20/15

- Dallas , TX, USA

Aug 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

On August 1st at approximately 10:11pm [144298 miles on the vehicle] at the I-10east to I-75south interchange after merging onto I-75 South. Traveling on I-10 East from tallahassee to orlando using the cruise control which was set at 75mph according to the speedometer - in order to take the I-75 southbound (tampa-orlando) exit I applied the brake to slow down and release the cruise control. Upon merging onto I-75 from the ramp I was traveling at about 55 to 60 mph and went to select resume on the cruise control. I removed my foot from the accelerator as I always do and let the cruise do the work. The vehicle accelerated as expected to 75 mph - the set point and stayed there for about 2 seconds (long enough for me to notice the speedometer pause at 75mph and then the vehicle accelerated fast and hard again (like full throttle) and kept going in about 2 seconds I was now at 85 and still accelerating; I applied my brakes to release the cruise control and slow the vehicle - it released the cruise and I was able to slow down - I did not use the cruise control after that.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Aug 042014

Sienna

On Monday August 4th, 2014 after a funeral, I drove into the parking lot of the church where I was going to gather with my fellow friends and family that lost their family member that day.. I drove into the driveway and attempted to reverse my minivan, I had my hand on the shift change to shift my car, upon attempting to change shifts my car accelerated and I lost control of the vehicle, causing my car to go hit the side of the building of the church damaging the gas tank, and causing the gas to leak. At the time of the scene and accident my 6 year old was in his carseat behind me and was scared at what had just happened, he panicked and took off his seat belt, opened the door, and went running out of the vehicle.. at that moment trying to regroup myself to see why my car had accelerated with force forward, I parked my vehicle and went looking for help.. I cannot explain how my car gained so much force to end up over 2 feet in the air over a small wall... I did notice my car hit the gas tank and heard gas leaking and went to cry for help.. I am not aware of any recalls on my van except for the undercarriage tire, which at this time the recall is not complete because they have not finalized a schedule for me to have it checked... also I am upset that the minivan upon the impact of hitting the wall did not diploit the airbag... I googled safety recall on Toyota Sienna and came upon a recall on more than 615K Sienna models over a rollaway risk.. the years listed were 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 Toyota Sienna, and a recall affecting a possible rollaway upon shift gears.. according to the article the shift lever cold be moved out of position depressing the the brake pedal, and because of this fault, the affected Siennas could roll away without causing warning, increasing the risk for crash.. well I was in a crash.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Aug 052013

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle unexpectedly increased acceleration. The vehicle failed to slow down upon depressing the brake. After reapplying the brake pedal and engaging the emergency brake the speed rate began to reduce to 50 mph. The vehicle was then maneuvered to the side road where the gear lever was shifted into park. The vehicle came to a complete stop and was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was in the process of being diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified and they recommended the vehicle be inspected by the dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jul 282012

Sienna 6-cyl

Approaching slight right turn on a park way at about 40mph, down hill of the right turn suddenly the slip icon light on the dash board was on and off with beeping sound alarm and observed grinding or braking sound on the vehicle which made jerking like on and off power of the vehicle. Road condition was dry and sunny at about 11:30 am.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Mar 242012

Sienna

The contact owns 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while merging onto the highway at 65 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated to 100 mph. The accelerator pedal had become stuck and would not release. The contact had to reach down under the steering wheel and release the lodged accelerator pedal, while continuing to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle for ten days but was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was then notified and a complaint was filed. The manufacturer sent an investigator to further inspect the failure however, was unable to determine a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Feb 152011

Sienna 6-cyl

Coming up to an intersection, car kept accelerating as I lifted my foot off of the gas pedal, had to push hard on the brake as engine continued to rev, placed in neutral, depressed gas pedal a couple more times, engine quit revving. Discovered that anchors for the driver's side floor mat had come out of the carpet and allowed the floor mat to creep up affecting the gas pedal. Removed the mat, took to local Toyota dealer who said there was no recall regarding the Sienna floor mats, the dealer replaced the 2 rings in the carpet used to anchor at my cost, one anchor became dislodged again within a day. Seems that there is some type of defect in the engineering of that ring used to sandwich/secure into the carpet.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jul 212010

Sienna

I was attempting to park my 2006 Toyota Sienna when suddenly the engine started to rev loudly & the car continued to move forward, even as I frantically applied the brakes. The car would not stop but my fast-thinking husband quickly put the car into neutral & then shut the car off. We drove to our Toyota dealer in vineland, NJ, where they performed diagnostic tests but couldn't find anything wrong. Their determination was that it must have been the floor mat pressing on the accelerator. I am sure that the mat was not the problem and that Toyota is attempting to cover up a problem with a car that is not already on their recall list.

- Pittsgrove, NJ, USA

May 072010

Sienna

I was driving on a straight, level dry road with cruise control set at 58mph. Suddenly car began to downshift. Assuming transmission problem I disengaged cruise control and car almost came to a stop. I pushed gas pedal and drove in low gear to nearest pull-off. Discovered left front brake was smoking. After things cooled off I drove car in low gear about 6 miles to local service station. Mechanic found all brakes locked and removed all wheels. He inspected all rotors, calipers brake lines, etc and found no problems. (I had new brakes installed at dealership about 4 months earlier.) when mechanic manipulated left front caliper all brakes disengaged. Mechanic found brake fluid level was normal. I've driven car about 500 miles since problem occurred with no problems. I don't use cruise control often - and haven't used it since problem occurred. I'm wondering if problem is with cruise control rather than brakes?? this could have been a disaster if it happened on a freeway at higher speeds!

- Dryden, NY, USA

Apr 282010

Sienna 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Sienna concern the consumer stated the vehicle seemed to travel extremely fast even though she was driving between 60-65 mph.

- Southlake, TX, USA

Dec 152009

Sienna

When starting to accelerate from a stop at a light, my Toyota Sienna suddenly bolted forward as if a boulder had been dropped on the accelerator. I braked as hard as I could, but was only able to keep the speed down to about 40-45 mph. Eventually, it either it let up on its own, or I shifted into neutral and slowed, I am not sure which -- it happened so fast. I immediately got out of my car and looked to see if anything was on the accelerator, but there was nothing. I do have floor mats, but they are cut to avoid the pedals and in fact were not caught on the pedals. This is the one and only time it has happened. I reported it to Toyota but they informed me that Siennas do not have the part that is causing the sudden acceleration problem.

- Fox Point, WI, USA

Mar 082010

Sienna

I was going down an off ramp in my Sienna, braking gradually as I came to the bottom of the ramp. There was another car stopped about 6 ft ahead of me. I still had my foot on the brake when the engine surged and the van lurched forward. I stomped down on the brake and the van did stop before it hit the car in front of me. I have taken the van into the local dealer (Toyota of knoxville) but they could find no problems. I have also reported the incident to the Toyota consumer hotline.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

Mar 092010

Sienna

The accident happened 3/9/2010. The accident involves our 2006 Toyota Sienna... there were two adults and three small children in the van. My husband, who was driving, slowed down to make a right hand turn into a gas station. While he was turning... the van accelerated at a high speed... my husband tried to apply brakes to no avail. We smashed into a parked car (with owner standing next to it pumping gas) at the gas station pump and then the van continued to go a bit before slowing down at a snow berm. Luckily no one was badly injured.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Oct 242005

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The driver stated that while driving 10 mph in an attempt to increase speed, the vehicle began to hesitate and surge. The dealer stated that there was nothing they could do to assist him since the failure was electrical which was also a normal function of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 10 and the current mileage was 75,000. The consumer stated when slowing down between 5- 10 mph and then speeding back up again, the van would hesitate and then surge forward to the point of jerking the consumers neck. The vehicle would slow down once the accelerator was released. Also, the drivers side door was exhibiting a popping/scrapping noise when it was being opened or closed. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed there was a recall regarding the thinness of metal which allowed the cracking of the metal where the door stop was attached to the door. Updated 04/21/10

- Loranger, LA, USA

Sep 122008

Sienna

Toyota Sienna 2006 braking problem caused self collision. On dry weather. Vehicle lost braking and I hit near by hilly land on turn. Vehicle showed braking problem on wet weather, rain and snow and vehicle looses the braking and related ABS and vsc failure. Brake pedal goes down and clicks and brake stops working. My wife no longer trust this van and everybody is afraid to drive with me in it.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Sep 202008

Sienna

2006 Toyota Sienna le with bz package (vsa) - safety issue (electronics): Vehicle stability control system (vsa) is unsafe during road slippery conditions if cruise control is used. The slippery condition could be rainy day or snowing or icy road conditions. The incident occurred several time. The first time I noticed the issue is around September of 2008. It was heavy rain, I was driving on a highway with normal speed. The van was set to cruise at 65 mph. I ran over a small pot of water on the road. One of the tire probably slipped for a brief milli-second. The vsa control kicked in (I can see the vsa light flashes), the van was then running from side to side and the RPM suddenly jump up (violently). The van was difficult to control. I tap the brake to disengage the cruise control. Then the van went back to normal. 2nd incident, about December of 2008, I was driving on the highway with light snow. The van was cruising at 55 mph. The van passed a slippery spot. The vsa kicked in and caused violent left and right movement of the van as well as sudden acceleration. The incident almost caused an accident. Since then, I stopped using cruise control on the rainy or snowy days. But if anyone out there with Toyota minivan, I would like them to know it is a serious potential problem. I took my van to be checked out at the Toyota dealership. They said could not find the problem and it is normal as is.

- Canton, MA, USA