2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Feb 092011

Sienna

The air bag light on dashboard of our 2006 Toyota Sienna suddenly came on. Took to dealer and they indicated that the sensor was bad and it would require the whole seat to be replaced for around $3000. The internet revealed thousand of complaints regarding this safety issue.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Feb 272011

Sienna

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact noticed that the air bag warning light suddenly illuminated intermittently. The dealer or manufacturer had not been notified nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 94,000.

- Sedalia, CO, USA

Feb 182011

Sienna 6-cyl

Approximately 2 weeks before scheduled service, air bag light came on and remained lit. After normal maintenance service was performed, the dealer did not notify my that the air bag system was not functioning properly. I found this strange, since during other service events, we were solicited for recommended services. I performed some research and determined that there are others experiencing the same problems. I am concerned for my wife and kids, since this vehicle is our only form of transportation. I would think the dealer should act in good faith to notify me that there is a potential safety problem with my vehicle. Vehicle is almost five years old and out of standard warranty. Due to Toyota's recent track record. I believe an investigation is needed.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Feb 222011

Sienna 6-cyl

The air bag warning light is flashing. Per information online, this indicates a problem with the airbags -- either failing to inflate in a crash or inflating erroneously while driving. This seems like a very serious safety issue. Correction of the problem can cost up to $4,000 and should be considered a safety defect and subject to recall.

- Baden, PA, USA

Feb 092011

Sienna

Air bag light is on and flashing. Diagnosed by Toyota dealer on 02/09/11 as code B0111, needs R/seat airbag assembly & floor wire harness. Estimate $2160. I contacted Toyota customer experience line, the contacted dealer and agreed to pay $700 towards repair. I still cannot afford the repair as I am still paying on the auto loan. This is a safety failure and should be recalled. I am now without airbags. Airbags have never been deployed - no accidents. Vehicle is only 5 years old and 81K miles.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Feb 132011

Sienna 6-cyl

February 13 2011 just bought a used Toyota Sienna... driven less than 200 miles and the SRS indicator light started blinking. There was no real reason that this light would've been triggered. Just drove the car as we normally have done.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 272010

Sienna 6-cyl

My 2006 Sienna xle has less than 55, 000 miles. Just before the new year, the airbag light started flashing continuously. We got the car in on Dec. 30 and were told the flashing light was due to a faulty wiring harness in the front passenger seat, which is covered under the regular (and my extended) warranty, but that the parts were not available at the time so I would have to bring the car back. I specially asked if the vehicle was safe to drive and was told my the initial service rep that it was. The service rep failed to follow up with making an appointment as promised, so I called one week later to find out that the parts were going to take in excess of 4 weeks to arrive! I was highly suspicious that the airbag was in working order, so it was no surprise that when I threatened to sue Toyota if the airbag failed or malfunctioned in any way in an accident or otherwise, that I was then told my car was unsafe to drive and the dealer would provide a rental at their cost. An order was placed on January 6th for the part which was scheduled to come in 6 weeks later, Feb. 9th. After waiting six weeks, I found out yesterday my order was "accidentally" canceled and that the manufacturer can't keep up production, so presumably, I'm starting my wait time again. I have lodged a complaint with Toyota hdqt and have a case id with them. There are hundreds of similar complaints here and on the internet but no recall or notice from Toyota about the fact that folks are driving around with flashing air bag lights that mean your airbag may not deploy in an accident and is deactivated because of the faulty wiring harness system. My dealer had 6 complaints alone, six weeks ago. This is outrageous!!! I am calling NHTSA as soon as I finish this complaint.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jan 312011

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While driving approximately 35 mph the passenger side air bag light began illuminating on the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told the parts which control the passenger side air bag were defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 90,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 152011

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light on for 2006 Sienna on Jan, 2011 at mileage around 60000. Reported to the Toyota dealer on 02/05/2011 at mileage 62000 and the dealer said code is B111 and that the right side air bag need to be replaced. Checked online and found hundreds of 2006 Sienna owners reported the same issue. This is a safety issue with 2006 Sienna.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Dec 152010

Sienna

Air bag light on 2006 Toyota Sienna came on. Dealer did diagnostic, and quoted $1800 to fix wiring harness and sensor. They did not have the parts in stock and said it would take several weeks to get parts. When I left the dealership that day the light went out, and now only comes on for 5 seconds at start up (which is normal). I did not pay for the repair, but wonder if it might come back?? found an internet discussion group and found that other owners of 2006 Toyota Siennas that had similar problems. Vehicle is out of warranty, but you don't expect these thing to fail this quickly.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Dec 102010

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag light on 2006 Toyota Sienna is on. Dealership says left side airbag and wire harness need to be replaced. Dealer will not cover it under extended warranty even though it is a safety issue. Many other people have reported this on www.aboutautomobile.com.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 202010

Sienna

The air bag indicator light on the dash flashes when the van is turned on. The Toyota dealer said that the air bag wiring harness needs to be replaced since the air bag would not deploy in the event of an accident. My Sienna is inoperable until repaired. There is a long wait, one to three months, to get this part replaced as it is on back order from Toyota. The dealer stated that there are more than 400 air bag wiring harnesses on back order for our region alone. An internet search shows multitudes of other 2006 Toyota Sienna owners with this same air bag malfunction. Air bags are included to help save lives, but they do not work properly on the 2006 Toyota Sienna. A recall should be instituted to fix this problem so the air bags in all 2006 Toyota Sienna's' will work properly. Unless this defect is fixed, the 2006 Toyota Sienna is an unsafe vehicle.

- Old Town, ME, USA

Dec 312010

Sienna 6-cyl

SRS warning light at first came on and stayed on intermittently. It now stays on all the time.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 282010

Sienna

Dashboard airbag warning light flashing. Dealer said it is a bad (defective??) airbag harness. $3000 to fix.

- Crookston, MN, USA

Jan 042011

Sienna

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna my airbag light is currently flashing. Upon research I have learned that my airbag system will fail if involved in a collision. Toyota is not fixing this issue at this time.

- Mead, WA, USA

Nov 282010

Sienna 6-cyl

We have a 2006 Sienna xle AWD with ~38K and the airbag light turned on in the fall 2010. Took it to the dealer on 11/28/2010. There is a problem with the wiring harness and as of 1/4/2011 they will not have one available for at least another month. They told us this is a common problem nationally and as a result, there is a back order for this part. Assuming the part comes in the next month, they will have had our car in the shop for over 2 months. This is a major safety issue (obviously known by Toyota) and should warrant a recall, especially if this is common enough to have a back log of demand for that piece and the airbags will not work with this defect. In addition to the safety concerns, most of us could not tolerate not having access to the family car for over 2 months. There are many other people with similar complaints documented on the internet. www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2006/Toyota/Sienna/airbag.

- Newcastle, WA, USA

Nov 042010

Sienna 6-cyl

In 2008, the airbag dash light on our 2006 Toyota Sienna began blinking. We took our van to the dealer, who advised that the driver seat sensor was bad. After several repair attempts, the dealer replaced the entire driver seat, but the light continued to blink. After an extensive wait, the entire wiring harness was replaced and the light no longer blinked. In all we were without our van for nearly 3 months, awaiting parts. Because of the safety concern (airbag not deploying or deploying when it shouldn't) and because the van was under warranty, the dealer provided a loaner van while we awaited parts. On November 4, 2008, the van struck a deer and the driver's airbag deployed. Following airbag replacement and other insurance-covered repairs, the airbag dash light again began blinking. Dealer advised that the passenger seat sensor was defective and a replacement part ordered; we were advised the part would be available January 4, 2011. Toyota advised that, as van is no longer under warranty, no loaner vehicle is available. On January 4, we were advised that the problem is the wiring harness, which will not be available before February 9, 2011. Toyota has offered $35 / day toward loaner / rental vehicle. Once again this will be a 3-month out-of-service situation for a safety issue. There are many reports of 2006 Toyota Sienna airbag indicator / sensor / wiring harness problems reported on the internet. We believe this is a serious safety issue that Toyota has avoided addressing as a system / recall issue, corporate behavior consistent with earlier accelerator safety issues on its vehicles.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jan 012008

Sienna 6-cyl

I purchased a new 2006 Toyota Sienna. In the first 33,000 miles I had three incidents where the airbag lights comes on. Each time I took to dealership to inspect, they claim to reset the airbags and it wasn't a problem. They said it was just a loose connection and something may have rolled under the drivers seat and may have hit a processing unit for the airbags causing the light to come on. With this explanation I thought it was a simple problem to fix and they never informed me that it would affect airbag deployment. So in each incident I delayed going to the dealership by thousands of miles, and only until my vehicle require other services would I request that they also check my airbag lights/system. Now at 86,000 miles and out of warranty my airbag lights have been on for 10,000 miles. My vehicle requires its 90,000 mile maintenance and so I ask them to check the airbag lights again. They return, informing me that I need new airbags and a wire harness assembly which is to cost $4000 to repair. I have complained about it to erica bryan at Toyota? customer center (case#1012230983) who informed me that their regional office has offered to pay for half of the airbag replacement. I find this unacceptable. Had I been informed correctly of the serious effect of my airbag lights going off and the possibility of it malfunctioning or not deploying I certainly would of escalated my actions with Toyota early on when it was still under warranty. Possibly even evoking the Maryland state lemon law. I do not have the money ($2000, 50% of cost)to replace the airbag units at this time, so I am now forced to drive my vehicle without working airbags.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 232010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While parked, the contact noticed the air bag light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they stated the warranty would not cover repairs or a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Oct 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver's and passenger's front seat air bags both failed. There was no accident or impact. The only indication of a problem was the illuminated air bag indicator warning light in the instrument cluster. Both air bags required replacement at a cost to the owner of $1,273. Toyota denied any responsibility and required the owner to pay the entire $1,273 charge. After the owner contacted Toyota national customer relations, a $500 Toyota merchandise credit was offered, which the owner is unlikely to use due to the owner's reluctance to purchase any Toyota product in the future. Updated 01/23/10 updated 01/20/11.

- Ada, OH, USA