2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Mar 172010

Sienna

Air bag SRS sensor light flashing intermittently flashing off and on. This is a life/safety issue, as I do not know if I can rely on my SRS system to properly function or not. It is also extremely agitating and distracting when driving overnight and/or on long distances, to have a dashboard warning light flash off and on. The SRS light was first observed flashing several times in March 2010, but then stopped. It started flashing again while on a cross-state trip in December 2010. As I had, my wife and two young children in the van, I immediately pulled off the road and called the dealership (Toyota of richardson, richardson tx). I was advised at that time that it would be safe for me to continue with my trip. When I returned home, I took the car to the dealership. The dealer took no action stating on the service ticket the SRS light was ""?not flashing today"?". to date, the SRS light continues to flash on and off at weeks or months at a time. From the internet, I recently learned that a tsb #284073 (NHTSA action number: 10034130) was issued by Toyota to its dealerships back on June 23, 2010 (six months before I brought the vehicle in), as well as three earlier tsb's (EL001-08, tsb-0252-08 & tsb-0162-10) all related to SRS lamp/sensors. To date, I still do not know if I have a properly functioning SRS system. I also note that of the 684 complaints currently registered with the NHTSA, involving the 2006 Toyota Sienna, more than one-third (33%) of those complaints (234) involve the air bag sensor/light issue. In July 2013, my van was involved in a rear-end collision. The air bag did not deploy. Was its failure to deploy due to the nature/intensity of the impact, or the fact that the SRS system is not properly functioning? I have no assurance it works properly. At this late date, I guess I'll simply be complaint #685. Thank you

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 072014

Sienna

TL - the contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While attempting to drive the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 79,529. Jcc

- Rochester, PA, USA

Jun 102014

Sienna

2006 Toyota Sienna air bag light is lit. Possible air bag malfunction. Received a letter from Toyota to make an appointment to fix the problem, but they want you to pay for the diagnostic test if the part they deemed to be defective is ok. This has not yet led to any crash, injury, etc. If there is a problem with the air bag system, and Toyota is aware of the problem, and they are as evidenced by the letter received, then these cars should be recalled and fixed with out charge to the consumer.

- Danielsville, PA, USA

Apr 142014

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag light came on so I took my car to the Toyota dealership. I was advised that my airbag wiring harness system needs to be replaced. The van has 79K miles and it was only covered for 3 years/36K miles. How is an unused airbag defective" where is the consumer safety" should be a lifetime guarantee especially since the airbag was unused. Why should my family be at risk for the product that hinders its usability for the purpose for which it was designed for.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Feb 042014

Sienna

The air bag light comes on as expected when the van is started. Then instead of going out, it flashes the entire time the car is on. This happens intermittently. Sometimes if the van is shut off and restarted, the light will go out. But then a couple days later, it will flash again. I have no idea whether or not my airbags would actually deploy in the event of an accident. Research shows that this is a known issue that has happened to many other people. Repairs are expensive for van owners and the issue returns after repairs. Please consider an investigation of this issue. There are those of us who cannot afford thousands of dollars to even attempt to fix our vans, and we have no choice other than to drive our families around in unsafe vehicles with our fingers crossed that we don't get in an accident. Thank you!

- Farmington, MN, USA

Sep 112013

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while completing a left turn, another vehicle crashed into the side of the contact's vehicle. The front air bags deployed but the side curtain air bags did not. The contact, and five passengers sustained head injuries from the impact and were transported to the hospital for treatment. A police report was not filed of the incident. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sergeant Bluff, IA, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

The drivers air bags light gets on and off, but mainly keeps on. I took it to the dealer and said it was fine and the light was off all the time that they were checking it, but the problem continued.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Aug 012006

Sienna

The airbag light comes on even though the airbags have never been deployed. It goes off for a while then will come back on. Toyota will do nothing about it.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Jan 212014

Sienna 6-cyl

I started up the van and the airbag light is blinking. I tried to unplug and replug yellow connecter put did not go away.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Jan 022012

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag light is on. And the bulletin code is dtcb0111.

- Boyds, MD, USA

Dec 022011

Sienna 6-cyl

The air bag light flashes all the time. I take it in and fix it every time I get maintenance done. They open the circuit in the right side squib circuit and adjust the pin fit connection on wire harness. Costs $60 to fix. It has been happening for years! I need to find someone that can tell me how to fix this myself! it stays off for about a day or two, sometimes a month or two. Then it starts blinking again.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Dec 272013

Sienna

The src airbag (curtain/side airbag) malfunction indicator went off. It has been below of recently. When I googled it, some people pointed it out to the yellow harness under the front seats. I wiggled it a little as some people suggested and the indicator light went away (I don't know if it may come back again). This is a major safety concern to me. Anyone could easily break the hardness when they pull the tray under seat. Or a car accident when your shoe could accidentally kick the hardness and break it, preventing the side airbag from deploying. It has to be a better way to protect the hardness. Especially here in Minnesota with below of the hardness get too cold and may become brittle.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Dec 162013

Sienna 6-cyl

Last week, the airbag warning light started flashing constantly while the car is running. A quick read of the owner's manual indicates a problem with the side or curtain airbags. More research on the internet indicates that this is a common problem with Siennas from 2006. This is a safety issue, and should be addressed by Toyota on a wide scale basis. My car is like new, not used much, never been in an accident and has 23000 miles. It is inexcusable for this to happen, and more inexcusable for the consumer to have to pay to fix it, considering that this appears to be a common safety issue with these cars. Please force Toyota to issue a recall, to deal with this problem fairly, for affected owners.

- Woodmere, NY, USA

Dec 162013

Sienna 6-cyl

The air bag light is blinking, indicating the side curtain air bags are not functioning. There is a tsb on this, #0069-12. A search indicates many problems with this that appear related to a defect in the vehicle wiring. This should be recalled and fixed by Toyota.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Dec 112013

Sienna

The driver side airbag light blinks on/off, indicating problems with the airbag. According to my research, this is a common problem with the 2006 Sienna that Toyota is aware of.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Dec 092013

Sienna 6-cyl

My air bag light went on. It was traced by the sealer to a faulty wire under the from passenger seat. The issue is that there is a drawer right there and the drawer often gets stuck and interferes with the wiring. The wiring is very exposed and can easily get broken! the is a design flaw that affects the safety of this vehicle and should be recalled! I have seen many, many complaints about this issue from similar owners of this vehicle. For example, see: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2006/Toyota/Sienna/airbag I ended up spending a lot of money fixing this, but it really needs to be resolved by Toyota.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Oct 252005

Sienna

Brand new 2006 Toyota Sienna brought in for flashing airbag light. Told loose connector under driver's seat. Dealership rest. Light started flashing again while deployed overseas. Upon return from overseas assignment, airbag light still flashing, not under warranty anymore and repair would be $3,000. Told airbags may not deploy and will fail state safety inspection. This is a safety issue and Sienna's need to be recalled to correct this major safety issue. Thousands of consumers have same issue on Sienna's. it is not right that consumers have to pay for a Toyota design issue repair that could result in death of family.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 082013

Sienna

SRS warning light stays solid on.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 072011

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The contact took vehicle to the dealer where a diagnostic test was performed and the dealer stated that a rusted cable caused the air bag light to illuminate. The vehicle was repaired but the repair did not remedy the defect. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Walton Hills, OH, USA

Sep 262011

Sienna 6-cyl

After installing new battery, air bag light goes off intermittently. Vehicle involved in 2 accidents, but no one ever cleared the air bag light. Moving front seats back and forth also affect the air bag light. Eventually light went out and assumed everything okay. Movement of seats have brought the light back on and this time, stays solid. Failed state inspection for the air bag light. Codes found B0111 and B0150. Reseated connectors under the passenger seat = no change. Wiring under seats is substandard and poorly designed. It is easy to see how the wiring can become easily damaged during normal use. No protective casings around connectors to protect the wires from accidental bumping/corrosion. Something needs to be done about this recurring problem. Very poor quality assurance in this vehicle.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA