2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 4 of 13)

Sep 202007

Sienna 6-cyl

My van was under warranty and the air bag light was blinking. I brought to dealer for repair twice, and I was told be the Toyota repair shop that it was normal. Until now (the van is no longer warranty) through "forum" I know it is something wrong, and it happened to several 2006 Toyota Sienna. It is safety concerning, and I would submit this for recall.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jun 052013

Sienna 6-cyl

When starting the vehicle the air bag light begins blinking and will not go out. Based on online information I determined that the harness under the passenger seat may be faulty. I unplugged the harness and replugged it and the light went out. After a few hundred miles the blinking light returned. The vehicle is out of warranty and too expensive to fix. It appears that there are many people with the same issue. Please check into the airbag problem on this vehicle.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Aug 122013

The airbag light had come on and off for months until Toyota dealership fixed it 2 1/2 yrs ago; the light is back on again and was told I could not get my van inspected with out it fixed. This is a defect with the 2006 Siennas - there is no reason the air bag lights should be on. The sliding passenger rear door stopped working- door would not close - had to turn off electronic switch and have to slam the door to keep it closed. This is an extreme safety hazard for passengers. Toyota has issued a service call on this but there is something drastically wrong with 2006 Toyota Siennas. On 10/14/2011 I filed a complaint with NHTSA about this and it took almost 2 years to address this problem. Run flat tires wore out early, replaced but had a lot of flats and adding air to tires weekly. Run flat rims were not true and had to replace rims and tires. I am the only owner of this vehicle.

- Arlington, VT, USA

Aug 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light started to blink, so airbags won't work if there is a crash had to have it fixed at dealer for $600.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Apr 302013

Sienna 6-cyl

My 2006 Sienna was backed into at the passenger rear quarter panel by another vehicle. After about 2 or 3 days the air bag light came on. The body shop reset the airbags. About 2 months later the light came on again. Took back to body shop and they had the same B code from the accident and reset. After researching on the web it seems that the front airbag sensor under the seats is the problem and I have to reset them every so often. Same issue that other 2006 Sienna owners are having.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Jul 102013

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag warning light goes on and off. Seems to be a connection issue.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 012012

The airbag light on the dash intermittently flashes.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Jul 112011

Sienna 6-cyl

In early 2011 our airbag light came on after a few days it turned off. Around July 11 2011 the airbag light came on again and did not turn off. We had the vehicle service by a Toyota dealership on 7/28/2011 (34,268 mileage). They "replaced the air bag per tsb". in mid October 2011 the air bag light came on again. The vehicle was serviced on 10/31/2011 (36,755 mileage) and the same dealership and they "replaced floor wire harness passenger side". in late 2012 the air bag light came on again but eventually turned off. Now its early August 2013 (44,456 mileage) and the air bag light is on again. The same dealership refuses to look at the car unless we pay $137 just to look to see if it is the same issue. It is the same issue. If you google search the issue it pops up as the first search because the air bag issue is such a major concern and issue. Toyota needs to fix this issue and do it for free and stop playing with its loyal customers! this needs to be a recall item. Flex and force Toyota to recall this air bag safety issue. Thank you!

- Olney, MD, USA

Jul 032013

Sienna 6-cyl

One morning, just a regular morning as always, I got into my car to drive to work, turned the car on, and the airbag light came on. It continued to flash the whole time I was driving. It has been flashing ever since, every time I drive this car. There was no accidents or any funny business, just out of the blue it started flashing.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Mar 042013

The airbag warning light keeps coming on intermittently even though this vehicle has never been in a crash. The dealership tells me the air bags will not deploy if the warning light is on, but that the connector below the seats is likely the culprit. Toyota should issue a recall and provide a solution to this safety issue.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 152013

SRS light is flashing indicating problem with airbags.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Jul 062013

While driving on an expressway, without cause or warning, the SRS airbag light began flashing. This had happened before at 38,000 miles in April of 2010 but was repaired by the dealer under extended warranty by removing and replacing the driver's seat and related air bag equipment. Now the car is out of warranty. Toyota needs to address this recurring problem with this model and year as it is a life threatening safety hazard when the SRS air bag system in a car is nonfunctional. If indeed the repair is a simple detachment and reattachment of the air bag connectors under the front seats (as reported on the 2006 Sienna edmunds consumer bulletin boards), then Toyota should make that repair available to all owners of this car (without regard to age of car or mileage) for no cost. These connectors are in a position to be knocked loose easily by personal items in the underseat storage tray or otherwise on the floor of the car. It is a bad design that could have life threatening consequences if an air bag does not deploy.

- Mountain Lakes, NJ, USA

May 112007

Air bag warning light came on. Toyota replaced driver's seat & sensors. Light went off for about 6 mos. Light came on again. Another dealership disconnected/re-connected plug under drivers seat. Light went off. Light came on again after about 2 yrs. Moved driver's seat up and back, light went off. Light came on again in December of 2012. Tried moving seat, checking connection under seat, talked to service manager at dealership. Was told fix was not covered by Toyota. Light is still on.

- Cleveland, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

After starting the engine and after being parked at our home overnight the airbag light came on and stayed on intermittently for no apparent reason.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Sienna 6-cyl

Our van has a SRS airbag light that flashes for no reason at all. We have not been in an accident or had any incidents with this vehicle. It has under 25,000 miles on it. I believe this issue should be addressed, it appears many others have had similar issues. I am worried about the safety of myself, husband and 3 children. Toyota please take responsibility for the airbag sensor problems and help keep our families safe. You would if it was your family!

- Waukee, IA, USA

Jul 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

The airbag indicator light comes on and flashes. This is a known problem with Toyota yet they choose not to issue a recall. Cost to fix it may exceed $1,500-$2,000. As this is a safety issue, a recall should be issued. Toyota service bulletin id: T-sb-1062-10.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 082013

Sienna 6-cyl

All of a sudden, the air bags (SRS) light came on and kept blinking. It stays blinking whenever the car is started. I checked the manual and am sure it is the SRS light (not for the seat belt). The car was purchased in Dec 2006, and I have not had air bags issue before. Really concerned about the safety of this car given the short period of time that I own it.

- Groton, CT, USA

Jun 122012

My Sienna had a air bag code B0111 and flashing all the time. It might take over 3,000 dollars to fix that problem. Plus, my family is not safe in my Sienna. I do not know what to do.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 042009

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbags intermittently and unpredictably become non-functional. That is, the warning light goes on and off at unpredictable intervals. I am told by the dealer service representatives that the airbags are non-functional (I.e., system shut down) when the warning light is flashing. This is a severe safety concern to me for the sake of my family. It is galling since the airbag system was a major selling point of the car. Attempted repairs by dealer on August 4, 2009 under warranty replaced the airbag assembly on one side but did not fix the problem of repeated intermittent failure. After the vehicle was out of warranty, Toyota refused to address their failed attempts at repair, and I was quoted well over $2,000 to fix the problem as per Toyota service bulletin T-sb-1062-10 on July 20, 2011. This proposed repair apparently included replacing the previously replaced airbag as well as the assembly on the other side. I delayed the repair at risk to family on account of the extreme cost. Also, I appealed to Toyota corporate representatives since the problem had been a persistent and unremedied one since during the warranty period. Recently, the Toyota dealer informed me that a new Toyota service bulletin isolates the defect somewhat from previous Toyota T-sb-1062-10 and reduces the cost of the repair to somewhere near $400 (although I paid $47.50 to learn that). But after that recent service by Toyota on June 20, 2013, the warning light is off again, and the airbags are presumably functioning again for a while. This intermittently has been the problem with getting this defective airbag system fixed under warranty as it should be. Also, the intermittent and repeated failure of the units suggests a faulty design and a safety defect that should be addressed in all of the vehicles. I have seen similar airbag concerns of other 2006 Sienna owners on various online bulletin boards.

- Butte, MT, USA

May 242013

Sienna 6-cyl

Drove van for approximately 20 minutes, parked it for an hour, when I got back in, my airbag light was indicating. Called dealer, told me to bring it in for a $150 fee just to read the light. Took it to my mechanic who told me the driver's side airbag was indicating and they had received a technical service bulletin about it and had several Toyota in with the same issue.

- New Market, MD, USA