2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 6 of 13)

Mar 252013

Sienna 6-cyl

The SRS light came on and we cannot get it to turn back off, our vehicle is not under warranty anymore and Toyota dealership has advised us even if it was they wouldn't be able to assist us. This is a safety issue and we are worried for ours and our children's life's if we were to to be in an accident.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 242012

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag warning light came on signifying a system failure. This is a chronic issue with 2006 Siennas, regardless of mileage. Seems to be more a matter of time.

- Lopez Island, WA, USA

Mar 132012

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag light indicator in the dash started blinking until now. From what I have read, some airbags may not deploy in the event of an accident due to this, thus, a safety issue. I have read in the forums that this is a common problem for the type/model of my minivan. My minivan is already out of the warranty and personally think that there should be a recall for this issue. If fear for the safety of my family whenever we use this minivan.

- Round Lake Park, IL, USA

May 242012

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light turned on at 78,080 miles. Took it to dealer and was told the passenger side air bag and floor harness needed replacement. Repair was quoted at around $1500. After discussions with dealer and trying to get an explanation as to why an air bag would need replacement with just normal operation of the vehicle, my dealer was able to get the parts covered by Toyota and I paid for labor $861. In January 2013, the air bag light turned on again at 84,132 miles. Took it to the dealer and was told the driver side air bag needed replacement and the harness could be fixed. My dealership offered me the same deal as Toyota would pay for the parts and me the labor $796. I had my car fixed because I did not want to compromise my and my family safety but had every intention by then to file a complaint with Toyota which I did on January 24, 2013. I told them I should not be responsible for any of the costs of the repairs; faulty air bags should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. I also told them I did not understand why there was no recall on those air bags after everything I read online. Toyota researched my case, talked with my dealership and after 3-4 conversations in about 1 week period, my claim was denied. They took no responsibility, reminded me that they had already provided the parts (because I was a good customer at my dealership) and offered me $500 towards my next car purchase should I be in the market for a new car in the next one to two years! funny!! as there will never be another Toyota in my driveway.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 222013

Sienna 6-cyl

The airbag light went on and blinking. Took the car to the dealer and was told it cost $852 to fix the "wire harness" issue. I checked on line and realized there are many complaints on this same issue. It is a common safety issue and should be taken care by Toyota. By the way, the same airbag light was on in 2008 and the airbag sensor was "recalibrated" by the dealership under new car warranty. I thought they replaced the airbag as they told me because it took more than one week to get my van back. But when I looked into this now, the repair was actually "recalibrate airbag sensor".

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jun 092010

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light stays on intermittently. Toyota service said possible connection under passenger seat. Cost $44.50. Still stays on. Common problem they cannot fix.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jan 102013

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated indicating. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results determined that the side air bag was defective. The dealer advised the contact that the side air bag and harness needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the side air bags or the harness replaced due to the dealer not having the parts available to complete the repair. The failure mileage was 73,929.

- Leicester, MA, USA

Aug 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

Crack along outer edge of dashboard above instruments. Likely to extend to passenger side. May eventually cause airbag deployment to malfunction.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Sep 152010

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag light flashing multiple incidents beginning at about 40000. Harness repaired under warranty (one incident at 14960 miles code B0111). Again at 41697, diagnosed as connector. Airbag & assembly replaced under warranty (one incident at 45499 miles code B0111). At 65000 miles airbag light again flashing. Diagnosis, airbag needs to be replaced again but now not under warranty. No accidents. My personal opinion is that the vehicle needs to be recalled over this issue.

- Delhi, NY, USA

May 182007

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag warning light came up 1 year (5/18/07) after purchase of vehicle. Dealer claims that they cannot find any issues and resets the warning light. 1 year later (6/9/09), the airbag warning light is up once again. This time they replace the passenger side airbag and perform repairs as per tsb. Airbag warning light up once again 10 months later (4/1/11). Dealer claims that there is no code up and just resets the light. 1 year later, the airbag warning light is up once again (8/18/12) and the dealer will not fix because too much time has gone by since the alleged fix in 2009. Airbag remains lit as of today (12/7/12). This should be a recall as the airbag warning light should not be coming up this often and is a very expensive repair to replace airbags.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Nov 062012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis. The technician diagnosed that there was a shortage in the air bag wiring harness. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but did not offer any assistance. The failure and current mileage was 59,400.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Nov 292012

Sienna

At 68000 miles, the SRS light on my 2006 Toyota Sienna came on. It went off for about 2 hours then came back on. After the second time that it came on, I brought it to the dealer and they said that they diagnosed the problem as the connectors being bad and that the air bag had gone bad. There are thousands of complaints online about this exact same problem and model on both driver and passenger sides, yet Toyota has not made a single recall for these problems with the airbags. What will it take for us drivers concerned about the safety of our children to get a recall for these faulty wirings and airbags?

- Maringouin , LA, USA

Oct 122012

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light continuously illuminated in a blinking manner. The dealer was notified and requested that the contact bring the vehicle for diagnosis. The contact did not provide the vehicle for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 78,000....updated 04/25/13 updated 05/15/2013

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Oct 222012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while sitting at a traffic stop, a vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The contact's vehicle was pushed forward until crashing into a preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head, neck, shoulder and back injuries. Three child passengers were also injured, sustaining neck and back injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and was not inspected for the cause of the air bag failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 128,000.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Aug 202010

Sienna 6-cyl

SRS airbag light illuminated and was blinking. Vehicle was taken to a Toyota dealer and problem could not be diagnosed. Dealer reset the system and airbag light illuminated again 60 days later.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Oct 252012

Sienna 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle, the SRS warning light kept flashing. The dealer where the vehicle was purchased indicated that the vehicle needed to be brought in for an immediate inspection. After the inspection, the dealership determined that the wiring for the passenger side airbag had a short and needed to be replaced. Cost for the repairs was estimated at $1,500. The dealership's service manager informed me that Toyota would carry the cost of the repairs under warranty, even though the warranty on the vehicle expired at 60,000 miles. While the dealership's handling of this incident is certainly appreciated, it also made me suspicious. A quick google search showed various results indicating that an airbag issue in the 2006 Toyota Sienna is not an isolated incident. I would like to report this issue to the NHTSA for further investigation and a possible nationwide recall. Airbag wiring should not need to be replaced with this sort of low mileage. Thank you.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Sienna. Consumer writes in regards to repair cost concerning air bag and seat belt issues the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for an inspection. The service advisor, informed the consumer it would cost $ 3,985 to repair the air bag issue, but stated it was a seat belt issue that required a floor wiring harness which needed to be replaced.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Dec 132011

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the air bag wiring harness was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 126,000 and the current mileage was 149,000. Updated 10/11/12 the consumer was informed the vehicle needed a main harness and driver seat air bag harness. He was given a price of $ $3,169 to fix the problem. The dealer informed the consumer the parts were on back order. Also, the alloy wheels alloy wheels were corroded. Toyota informed the consumer, he must have washed the wheels with the wrong soap or too much winter salt on the roads caused the problem.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

May 012010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that at engine startup, the air bag waring light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to both a private mechanic and the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Phigard, OR, USA

Sep 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

1) airbags: Blinking airbag light. Toyota service bulletin - $1200 repair. Unsure of safety implications. 2) suspension, steering rack. Leaking power steering fluid. Needs replacement of entire rack. $1200 repair. 3) electrical: Power sliding rear door will only function in manual mode. Toyota customer service informs me of a customer support program for problem. Dealer failed to tell me about it. $1400 for repair. Dealer estimated trade in value for van: $6000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA