2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 022015

The contact owned a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While making a left turn at approximately 5 mph, another vehicle crashed into the passenger side of the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a traffic signal pole. In addition, the contact stated that the driver side seat belt failed to retract properly and caused the contact to be thrown to the front passenger side of the vehicle. The contact sustained back and neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 183,000. Updated 2/4/16

- Colusa, CA, USA

Nov 122015

My power door stop working on the driver back side. I had to force its close. And now I can't get it to open back up. The back row belt won't pull down. So its can't be used now. And the fuel miles on this van is very poor at 11. Toyota is very high price when its come to little problems.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jul 102015

The third-row center seat belt was partially extended to secure a passenger when it became locked in place. It would not retract or extend. The entire seat belt tensioner needs replaced. This device is in the roof and exposed to extreme heat when the car is parked in direct sunlight.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Nov 272014

Sienna 6-cyl

Will driving I came to a stop sign and proceeded to slow down but the car continued to rev a high rate and lunged forward into the four way cross before finally coming to a stop.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Driver seatbelt on 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan does not retract. This is a safety issue due to Toyota's design defect. The same issue is faced by numerous others as evidenced by the fact that Toyota has issued a recall for this problem in other types of vehicles that use the same parts - e.g. SUVS, cars etc the current recall should be extended to Toyota Sienna minivans too given the safety implications.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Apr 122013

Sienna 6-cyl

We discovered that the second row passenger seat belt (built into the seat) did not ever engage. It latched with no issues but would not catch when appropriate. As our young child typically uses the seat, we did not know how long it had been inoperable before a fortuitous use by an adult. We took it to the dealership where they replaced the seat belt assembly at our cost.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Mar 122014

Sienna 6-cyl

My daughter was sitting in the middle passenger seat and the seat belt started to tighten on it's own. We had to cut the seat belt to let her out.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Mar 092014

Last Sunday as we were leaving for church my seven year old daughter sat in her safety car seat, reached for her seat belt and pulled it across her chest to fasten it. As she did so, it snapped in half. As a parent, I watched the incident in horror. I am so very grateful that we weren't in an accident where her life depended on the security of her belt. It appears as though somehow it was rubbed raw from the plastic hole it came out of in the vehicle. I hope this is a one time defect and not indicative of a larger problem. Seat belts save lives, but only if they work properly.

- Leesburg , VA, USA

Jan 062014

Sienna 6-cyl

Driver seat belt gets stuck cannot retract back and stays loose.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Feb 082014

Sienna 6-cyl

I just bought this van from a small dealership and I notice that my seat belt is loss every time I drive my van. So I pulled on it and it will get harder and harder so dealing with it I got some what distracted so I pulled over to undo it and it took some muscle ant time. While im driving if I pull a bit it does it every time... just got this van and I'm tire of it already.

- Big Bear City, CA, USA

Dec 272013

The passenger side, middle row seat belt on my 2006 Sienna will no longer retract. It looks like this is a common problem for this vehicle.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Dec 162013

Sienna 6-cyl

Last week, the airbag warning light started flashing constantly while the car is running. A quick read of the owner's manual indicates a problem with the side or curtain airbags. More research on the internet indicates that this is a common problem with Siennas from 2006. This is a safety issue, and should be addressed by Toyota on a wide scale basis. My car is like new, not used much, never been in an accident and has 23000 miles. It is inexcusable for this to happen, and more inexcusable for the consumer to have to pay to fix it, considering that this appears to be a common safety issue with these cars. Please force Toyota to issue a recall, to deal with this problem fairly, for affected owners.

- Woodmere, NY, USA

Nov 272013

Sienna 6-cyl

Drivers seat belt is frozen in place at all the way out, unusable, have to have it towed to fix it.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

Sep 262013

Sienna 6-cyl

Front passenger seat belt jammed and it is not retracting.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Sep 022013

The driver-side seat belt gets jammed during retraction and becomes inoperable. The result is that the driver may continue driving without protection until the belt can be unjammed. This problem occurs repeatedly and it is very difficult to resolve, sometimes requiring an expensive visit to the dealer. Parts replacement is unlikely to resolve the problem since it seems to be a system issue.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 212012

Sienna 6-cyl

The front passenger seat belt was completely extended and locked. This happened twice. I have also read about numerous complaints of other Toyota Sienna owners.

- Le Roy, NY, USA

Jul 212013

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver-side seatbelt got stuck after being fully retracted. At the top of the belt, where it retracts, there was a fold in the belt and it got wedged into the curve of the U-shaped housing of the belt. I have tried pulling on it, moving the adjustable track, using pliers and screwdrivers to get the belt to un-cinch. I still have not been able to get it loose.

- Lexington, SC, USA

May 012013

Front driver seat belt jams and won't retract. Happens often. Sometimes it cannot be freed and you must drive home without a seat belt or leave the car.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Mar 082012

Sienna 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Sienna. Consumer writes in regards to repair cost concerning air bag and seat belt issues the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for an inspection. The service advisor, informed the consumer it would cost $ 3,985 to repair the air bag issue, but stated it was a seat belt issue that required a floor wiring harness which needed to be replaced.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Dec 312009

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger seat belts on the right side in middle and rear row tighten, or retract, when passenger sits back. Then they do not release when the passenger leans forward. This means that the seat belt gets tighter and tighter until it is very uncomfortable. Our kids complained about the seat belts being too tight but they seemed to be working properly when I checked them. It seems to be an intermittent problem. When I finally experienced this myself, we were just out of the warranty period. Quote was $500 to repair each one.

- Waukesha, WI, USA