2008 Toyota Sienna fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Sienna:

2008 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Dec 212014

Sienna 6-cyl

This is regards to my 2008 Toyota Sienna le fwd 8 passenger minivan. On 12/21/2014 my van dropped dead in the middle of busy gunbarrell rd in chattanooga tn. Following up with the diagonostics on the vehicle it was detected that the fuel pump had failed. Since I bought this vehicle as certified used from Toyota in 03/2010 I was confident that this part is covered but to my frustration - Toyota said the fuel pump is classified as an electrical system and unfortunately other than their hybrid models it is not covered by any type warranty. Upon researching multiple websites, chat forums, and among registered Toyota owners it came to my understanding/conclusion that the Toyota Sienna models from 2007 to 2010 had numerous fuel pump, pulleys, and brake drum issues. The vehicles affected had total miles ranging from 20K to 130K. New vehicles with failing fuel pumps and not covered under warranty - shocking. It is my understanding that without a fuel pump no vehicles can run and it is very unfortunate to see that automakers classify it as an electrical item and the NHTSA sadle agrees with it. This repair costed me over $600 for parts and labor. If I were to use the Toyota dealership for parts and service it would have costed me over $900 ( via 3 estimates from dealerships) through this letter I am kindly requesting an investigation to the fuel pump issues for Toyota Sienna from model year 2007 onwards so a proper warranty coverage, warnings can be provided to registered owners.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

Car pauses at slow speeds. Car jerks first, then check engine light comes on, trac off light comes on. Vsv light comes on. Code diagnosed as dtc PO717. Toyota dealer does not know how to fix it. Suggests trial and error. Vehicle hesitating is dangerous.

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was unable to restart and was towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel pump resister needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Dec 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

Just notified of sudden acceleration. Hindsight - starting fall 2012 remote starter died, no warmup, my boyfriend and I experienced engine racing when van was cold multiple times, only way to stop it was hand control brake, foot brake was not enough. Planned to have checked but Dec.1 2012 at the tanger outlet mall in canonsburg pa. I am paraplegic, my minivan is modified with foldout ramp- passenger side sliding door for wheelchair and then I transfer into the drivers seat. All the van handicapped parking spaces were filled but it was early so I parked in a regular space with an empty space next to it so I could get out. Few van accessible handicapped spaces is common so I used regular spots before as long as someone was with me who could back the van up far enough for the ramp to deploy. When my mother, my sister-in-law, my friend, and I returned to the vehicle a pickup truck was parked next to us. My sister-in-law got in the vehicle to back it up so the ramp had room to come out as she had done often. We stood behind the pickup truck waiting for her to back up. All of a sudden the vehicle flew backward so fast that before we could yell stop my vehicle had slammed into the SUV parked across the aisle so hard that it pushed the SUV into the car parked in front of it in the next row. My sister-in-law was completely shocked as were we, it was so fast it was almost like watching a cartoon. My sister-in-law kept saying "I don't know what happened", she thought all she did was put her foot on the brake and put it in gear. Not knowing about sudden acceleration in Sienna's all any of us could think was her foot had slipped even though she has been driving for 25 years without a similar incident she couldn't understand how it could happen, was sure it didn't. the police were called and a report filed. Because one of the welds from modification was broken my vehicle was totaled.

- White Oak, PA, USA