2008 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Sienna:

2008 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012012

Sienna

My vehicle has been always parked inside a garage. I am on waiting list of Toyota hollywood to replace my cracked dashboard. However, the handle of the trunk door is also melted. Every time I touch it all the sticky black material sticks on my fingers.

- Davie, FL, USA

May 012016

Sienna

Cable mechanism on both power sliding doors broke. The cables have snapped. One door is jammed shut and is unable to open. I hear the motor working, but I see the cables on the outside of the van and I see the cables snapped in half.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 212016

Sienna

The passenger sliding door's pulley cable snapped while performing a routing automated door opening operation. There where some grinding noises while the door attempted to open. The vehicle was parked on a level surface. Upon inspection of finding out what happened, the braided cable appeared faulty and was corroded. Meanwhile the loss in tension resulted in loose cable preventing the door from opening and closing properly. The cable was then cut but the excess cable is hanging out of the vehicle. The door is now opened manually but it is having difficulty holding itself when opened. I do have three young children under the age of 7 who frequently use these doors. My concern is that the door opening is not was I purchased/expect and second the cost of repair is very high ($1200-$2500) when hearing this issue has become more frequent in the last two years as these vehicles are surpassing their warranty expectancy. I do not have any photos but still have the faulty cable if pictures are requested at a later time.

- Bennington, NH, USA

Jul 092016

Sienna

Passenger rear power sliding door. Cable broke. Known problem. Not safe and not convenient. $1300 just for part and $2000 repair. Probably driver side will be next. 76000 miles and garage kept. Why no help from Toyota? vehicle was stationary when cable broke. Heard grinding sound, then door bound, now not working

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Jul 012016

Sienna

Our left rear sliding door won't function or open any more. The cable broke. Then 2 days later the right rear sliding door won't function or open anymore. Same problem. Cable was severed or snapped. Looks like it was rusted on both cables, both sides, and severed in the same position or length. So, both rear sliding doors do not function. They only open to about 1 foot, and no further. Extremely difficult to close or open doors at all. The minivan was stationary both times while opening doors for my kids to get in. I was parked on a street. The left side broke on July 1, 2016, and the right side broke 2 days later on July 3, 2016.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 042016

Sienna

Power sliding door won't open or closed. Looks like the cable is messing up. Called Toyota and they said no recall only a addition to the warranty. 9 years or 120,000 miles. My van has way over 120,000 miles! that stinks! this may cost over $1,000 to repair. I look online and thousands of people having issues! should be a recall!

- Rutherforston, NC, USA

Dec 262015

Sienna

In a span of 2 weeks while stationary attempting to exit vehicle the 2008 Toyota Sienna van driver side and passenger sliding door cables frayed then broke and door jammed shut.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Sienna

My dashboard is sticky and cracked, I have called Toyota and visited them at the original Toyota dealership but all we get they are still working on making them at the factory and when they get to the warehouse we will call yo or you need to wait for a 2nd notification from us. This is going on almost 2 years, I just called them again today. I believe theirs many of us waiting on the same thing, can you help me please?

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 012009

Sienna

Sliding door which is supposed to not close when someone comes in between is faulty since the purchase which came to me that it should happen. I had complaint to Toyota to see whether it is recall! no answer yet, I hope it is not happening to anyone else?

- Peachtreecity, GA, USA

Sep 202015

Sienna

The rubber pad under the switch that is used to open the liftgate on the back of the Sienna has gone soft and tar like. If I grab a piece it pulls right off like chewing gum. The black star like substance gets on the hands/fingers too and is hard to wash off. This is a very common defect (not normal wear and tear). Toyota won't recall and make it a warranty fix. The part# is 84840-08010 and msrp is $58.53 plus labor.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 192015

Sienna

The tailgate strut failed to hold up the liftgate and struck me in the head. Please see below for other Toyota Siennas; Toyota Siennas recalled to fix power liftgate liftgate may fall on users Toyota is recalling 196,222 Sienna vans from the 2004 through 2006 model years to repair the struts which hold up the power-assisted liftgate. Those struts can fail, causing the gate to power its way shut, injuring anyone hit by the closing door. Image conscious Toyota, with the approval of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), is describing the recall as a "safety improvement campaign" in a public relations effort by the Japanese automaker not to further sully a deteriorating reputation for quality control. The gas struts used to lift and support the the rear power liftgate "could wear out sooner than expected, " according to the "safety improvement campaign" notice published by NHTSA. "as the gas struts deteriorate, the performance of the liftgate will begin to degrade and the power rear liftgate will operate more slowly than when the gas struts were new, " according to NHTSA. The safety Agency warns that worn struts may not be able to support the weight of the liftgate when it is open and the door could fall "about 10 inches after it reaches the fully opened position at which point the power motor will engage and power the liftgate to the fully closed position, " perhaps injuring anyone struck by the closing door. Toyota dealers will replace the gas struts during the "safety improvement campaign" with struts the automaker said will have a longer service life

- Hbg, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Sienna

The vehicle has developed a cracked (pieces broken off) dashboard. It gets very hot and feels like it is melting. Toyota recognized the problem almost two years ago when they started sending recall notices but to date they haven't come up with a solution to fix it. I have already received about five recall notices but each time the dealer tells me they will have a fix in the winter or fall etc.. just concerned that it is taking almost two years and Toyota keep sending the notices. I also have a 2009 Camry and the dashboard is very sticky too (not breaking yet). Not sure what there strategy is but they need to handle the liability if they want to keep repeat customers and avoid bigger issues with vehicle safety.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Sienna

The rear hatch handle has completely melted, as have the inside rubber components on the sliding doors. Looking online, this has happened to many other Toyota owners. This has to be a safety hazard - melting rubber components?

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 032015

Sienna 6-cyl

The rear hatch suddenly closes at a fast speed when it is cold. This will happen repeatedly, we have had close calls with this now since November. Toyota shows no recalls for this.

- Brookfield, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Dash is sticky and is producing more of a glare/reflection on my inside windshield. Extremely distracting.

- Weeki Wachee, FL, USA

May 222013

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag indicator warning light flashes continuously. Jiggled wires under front passenger seat a year ago, and the warning light quit flashing for a couple months. But then it started flashing again about six months ago. A warranty enhancement notification - ztx was received from Toyota a few days ago. Local dealer said that diagnosis would take two hours & cost $130. Read on the internet to try disconnecting the yellow wire (airbag sensor) under the front passenger seat and wait 15 seconds. Tried that and the flashing light has gone off again. This yellow connector pin and wiring should be fully replaced by Toyota under a full recall so that this doesn't become a recurring, regular issue for Sienna owners.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Mar 072014

Sienna 6-cyl

Note: I have two cars, two recalls and the same problem with the dealership. This complaint is in regards to fred anderson Toyota raleigh's service department. I have bought 4 cars with this dealership, three of them have had manufactures defects. Every time I call, including this last time for my recall they tell me that not only do they not have the parts available to fix the recall, it will take them "at least" 30 days to get the parts available for the recall. The service department is horribly run and the fact that they don't have remedies for serious safety recalls readily available or at least on quick delivery is unacceptable. Also, they told me that it would take at least hours to fix the part when it finally comes in but only offer a rental car if the fix is more than $400, which of course, since this is free of charge the consumer has to figure out transportation to make up for the fact that they don't know how to make safe cars. It is my opinion that fred anderson Toyota raleigh's service department would rather put its customers at risk than fix their recall so they make it as hard as possible to get the fix taken care of. I have tried to contact manager and owner of the dealership and they both ignore my calls. One would think that after buying 4 cars with their company they would have some level of care for my family's safety. They don't!

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Sep 142012

Sienna

Making left turn into parking spot. The car was going very slowly then all of a sudden the vehicle exhibited an unintended acceleration. Vehicle was abruptly steered in opposite direction to avoid collision with car parked in front and applied brakes aggressively. Incident happened in elementary school parking lot. Fortunately, no one was in the immediate vicinity. Vehicle taken to Toyota dealer and was unable to find problem or replicate it.

- Sunderland, MA, USA

Mar 172010

Sienna

Ltr fwd fm (il) inquiring why his 2008 Toyota Sienna is not currently under recall for sudden unintended acceleration. The consumer wanted to know the differences, mechanically, technologically and electronically between his model and those that are under recall.

- Fox River Grove, IL, USA

Mar 042010

Sienna

We recently purchased a used 2008 Toyota Sienna. Just before 10 a.M. today, I pulled into the driveway, just like I have every day for 13 ½ years, turned toward the garage, following the curve of the driveway. I touched the button to open the left garage door, just like I always do. I was driving very slowly, because I was about ready to stop the car and park in my driveway. All of a sudden, the car lurched forward and I think it sped up. I don¿T know why the car was moving forward! it happened so fast and I recall thinking, ¿oh my gosh, I don¿T want the car to go in the garage!!¿ I was pressing the brake as hard as I could, and I turned the wheel to the right, trying to avoid the car accelerating into the garage! the car hit the corner of the part of the house that divides the two garage doors. It did stop and I put it in reverse right away to back up. The front corner of that house section now needs to be repaired, and a flower pot (lightweight styrofoam) broke when I turned the wheel that direction. This was a very frightening experience and it happened so fast! I am afraid to drive my car! I have made an appointment to have it looked at by the Toyota dealer where we bought it.

- Salisbury, MD, USA