2.4

2009 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Sienna:

2009 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Feb 162016

Sienna

The rubber from back door melted since I live in tropical island and there is a lot of heat. The plastic base for the antena broke, I gues the heat cracked the plastic base, and the cell charger doesn't work, though I have hardly used it. I seems like it gets out of position easily. Overall, the plastic features are giving me a hard time. I love my Sienna and it's in very good condition, but these problems don't have to do with use.

- Ponce, PR, USA

Sep 052016

Sienna

The cable in both rear sliding doors snapped in two. The doors are latched closed and will not open electronically or manually, requiring any rear passengers to enter and exit through the front passenger door and climb in to the back seats. Again, the doors are closed fast and won't open using either manual or power modes. I am unable to Transport my children due to safety concerns that if we were involved in an accident I could not remove them from the car. While there are several instances of this problem on internet chat forums, Toyota is not addressing the problem. The cost to repair one door is $1,700, making the repair total for both doors an incredible $3,400. I have contacted Toyota and there is no recall or help for the repair. This amount is nearly the market worth of the total vehicle.

- Reedy, WV, USA

Aug 252016

Sienna

Driver's side power back door cable snapped while the car was stationary in the driveway. Pressed the button to open door and heard the snap. Latch works but door won't open unless you open it manually. 76,000 mi. Toyota Sienna '09. There is csp that covers this cable for 2004-2007 models that was made in 2012. The csp needs to be updated to include the more recent model vehicles as the problem still exists. Dealerships are charging $2400 to replace it. The auto doors were the main reason I bought this vehicle. With at least another yrs on this vehicle left, I am extremely upset that this isn't covered. This is not a user error.

- Erdenheim, PA, USA

Jun 102016

Sienna

I have a 2009 Sienna with less than 90,000 miles on it. The sliding door cable suddenly snapped and I was stuck with the door not functioning at all. It was stuck half open. I had to use considerable force to shut it. The cable exhibits corrosion upon visual inspection. Based on the amount of complaints this seems to be a consistent issue with Siennas. Toyota dealership is asking for about $1800 to fix it.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Apr 222016

Sienna

The cables that enable the side doors to open both snapped within 2 weeks of each other. Both occurred while trying to open the doors with the power button. The doors are unable to be opened without being repaired.

- Evans City, PA, USA

Sep 012015

Sienna

Drove of F one day and heard beep beep with the hazard light on. Pulled over and could not figure out what was the problem. The door was open. What? tried to close it the button, then had to slam door shut.the left sliding doors has stopped working. The cord got frayed and dry and just broke off one day. I had to force close the door and my kids now have to use ony one door. Now I see the second door is acting the same. Very disappointed and sad and afraid. A big safety issue. Is there a recall.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Feb 072014

Sienna

Power sliding door cable failed/faulty. Risk of injury and safety. Toyota unwilling to repair under warranty. Sliding door inoperable - can't exit vehicle on side where door cable broke. This is a widely known and widely experienced safety defect across 6 years of Toyota Sienna that should be the subject of a federal recall.

- Burr Ridge, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

Left automatic sliding door cable snapped after the right door cable snapped two months prior right after warranty expired. Toyota fixed the first problem but will not fix the other door and wants $2000 to fix it. The car is only 5 years old and Toyota knows this is an issue but will not help. This is not right. My child was seat belted in when the cable snapped and it whipped around and almost hit her in the head. This is very serious and Toyota needs to make it right.

- Mahopac, NY, USA

Aug 132014

Sienna 6-cyl

The side automatic door cable snapped. If my child was in his seat he would have been injured bad. The tension on this was tremendous. All my wife did was open the door. We have a 2009 Sienna AWD and have maintained it per Toyota instructions. Toyota wants $1100 plus $300 do diagnose the problem. This is just wrong. Please help. The cable was hanging where my son would be sitting.

- Mahopac, NY, USA

Mar 182014

Sienna

Passenger power sliding door cable broke.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Nov 102010

Sienna

Power doors not working will not open or close on auto all the time or on manual now drivers side cables have broke.

- Belfast, NY, USA

Jun 072011

Sienna

The contact owned a 2009 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while parked, the driver's side electric door panel caught fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The police and fire department were contacted and a report was on file. The failure caused no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure and current mileages were 40,000.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 022011

Sienna

My 2009 Sienna van sliding door will not open.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Apr 272011

Sienna 6-cyl

During active driving, the vehicle stalls and the power steering and braking components no longer function. On one occasion, this was on a residential street and the second on a busier street. The second occasion occurred on a hill and the emergency brake was necessary to stop the car. The vehicle was brought to be serviced and no cause for the malfunction was identified. We are now asked to resume driving of the car without any repair.

- Seattle, WA, USA