2009 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Sienna:

2009 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Dec 252014

Sienna

Takata recall ! I was driving Toyota Sienna on local street in boca raton when car had unexplained acceleration. Car struck a tree which caused the air bags to react. I had airbags stuffing in my lungs with contusion and in my intestines. My son had a bad contusion on right side from side airbag. My wife had to spend 17 days in a hospital because contusion on lungs and multiple bones. The force not her out of her seat on floor. Her seat belt cut into her abdomen. She almost died from injuries and incompetent medical care. My daughter was saved from severe injury because the side airbag did not function. This was a terrible holiday gift.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 072016

Sienna

Driver's side power steering leak. Toyota dealership determined a need to replace the power steering rack, plus fluid and a 4 wheel alignment. Total cost of parts and labor was $1397.87. Appears this is a common problem with this model, make and year vehicle.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Sep 242015

Sienna

While driving down a very steep narrow unpaved drive the engine stopped. All lights on the dash remained on battery light was on. Steering was very difficult and the breaks were stiff. When I came to a stop I restarted the engine.

- Harbor Springs, MI, USA

Jul 202015

Sienna

The dealer (american Toyota located in albuquerque, nm) has advised during a scheduled service on the minivan that the rack and pinion needs to be replaced because it is leaking. The car has 41124 miles on it, and the estimated cost of the repair is $1093. I looked this problem up on the internet and it sounds common to this model. I have never had this problem on any other vehicle that I have owned, so I was wondering if it was something that might be covered by a recall.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 252014

Sienna

The car had an alignment problem after 5000 miles. Firestone always aligned the wheels but 1 went through 3 sets of tires. The car would speed up the last couple of months after I took my foot off the gas pedal. The brakes seemed to work but they just did not seem right. I noticed the day after I drove the rav4 the difference form the Sienna. The rave 4 also jerks sometimes when I step on the gas pedal.

- Boca Raton , FL, USA

Nov 242014

Sienna 6-cyl

Toyota dealer said the rack and pinion steering unit was leaking had to be repaired, at a very high cost. Looking online, I find that a lot of other people have had this issue, but there has been no recall. Apparently most people do not know how to report such issues. There is no reason why a vehicle only five years old should be having this problem. I would suspect that newer and older models may also be affected.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Sep 042014

Sienna 6-cyl

Intermittent loss of power steering while driving. The problem with this 5 year old vehicle with 75,000 miles is similar to what happened with older model year Siennas: A power steering fluid leak develops that ultimately requires a complete replacement of the power steering rack. Toyota refuses to pay for repair or replacement of an obviously defective design/part.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Sep 042013

Sienna 6-cyl

Went to dealership for an alignment, car drifted to the left. They told me the steering shaft was very worn and had to be replaced. Had to install a new steering intermediate shaft and shaft assembly. This was covered under my extended warranty, but there is no way a steering shaft should be worn out at 30000 miles! there has to be a defect in the steering shaft. Lucky, I had the alignment done before my planned 700 mile trip.

- Springfield, MA, USA