2010 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Sienna:

2010 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

May 142016

Both power doors broke the same way. The cable frayed and was pulled into the door by the motor. The doors would not open at all until serviced, which caused a safety concern! the fix was estimated at $1,500 per door.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

May 012015

The rear passenger sliding door is automatic. The door motor started making a loud noise when attempting to open the door automatically. Suddenly, the cable wire that is inside the vehicle into the door to operate the automatic mechanism snapped and is sticking out of the area below the last rear window of the vehicle and now the door will not open, even upon attempting to open it manually.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Oct 062014

Passenger power sliding door was closing when door cable along rear side window snapped. Door will no longer open or close, even in manual mode. This is a safety hazard not allowing passengers to egress in an emergency. A door malfunction should fail in a safe mode allowing the door to be opened and/or closed when a failure occurs. Toyota covered this repair up thru 2007 model year but refuse to cover repair on subsequent model years disregarding multitude of defective doors on later models including my 2010 model. This is a poor design and the consumer should not be penalized for a company not properly correcting a documented design issue.

- Sunderland, MD, USA

Oct 262012

Rear power doors lock up and do not work. Have taken to dealership several times. Driver side rear power door now does not open.

- Auxvasse, MO, USA

Apr 192014

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger power sliding door stopped working. The dealer informed the consumer, the issue was with the cable assembly. The consumer further found out, the part was recalled on previous models. With the cable assembly broken, the door would un-latch, but could not be motorized to open.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Mar 082014

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate, the navigational display when black with a "no dvd. Please insert map dvd" message. I ejected and reinserted the map dvd but it did not correct the problem. Today, none of the buttons (radio, nav system, bluetooth, maintenance info) on the nav system or on the steering wheel work. The screen is black with a message asking for the map dvd to be inserted.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Apr 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

My Sienna has a problem with the rear sliding door- an issue that Toyota is aware of already from its other customers who own a Sienna as far back as 2004. When I received an alert notice from Toyota concerning this issue and also the alert for the corrosion of the spare tire carrier cable back in August 2012, I took my Sienna into my Toyota dealer, on Aug. 24, 2012, to have both issues fixed. However, I was told that my Toyota extended warranty, which I purchased for any electrical issues that I may encounter, did not cover the sliding door sensor, which I consider is an electrical problem by the manufacturer, and there was no official product recall for the sliding door problem which obligated them to repair it. My problem with the sliding door is very random, and has no pattern of when (no weather connection) or why it occurs. The sliding doors on my Sienna have intermittently closed on both my husband and me on various occasions, since our purchase in August 2009 (first occurrence was around April 2010), also while trying to buckle my children into their seats or just opening the door with the remote control or manually, and as a result, have experience minor bruises to our shoulders. The door is not suppose to open when there is a physical body in the door's path, but my doors do randomly, again a major safety hazard with kids moving in and out of the car.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 012011

Purchased new 2010 Sienna van. Remote control failed beginning of Sept 2011. Took it back to dealers and was charged to re-program.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Apr 122010

My 17 month old's head got jammed between the right rear wheel and the right rear door panel while the electric door slid open. Even though my wife pulled on the door handle the door kept sliding open. My baby's head was crushed between the tire and door panel. This is a very unsafe design as my wife tried to stop the door from sliding back and the door kept moving. I need someone to call me to further discuss this matter. My car is a 2011 model.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 102009

We have a 2010 Toyota Sienna xle. The problem is with the automatic doors and key fob and back hatch door. The key will unlock and immediately relock all the doors. If you touch the buttons to activate sliding doors they work off and on. The big problem though is the back door - the trunk. It opens and then as you are going into the trunk you don't know it is closing on you. This has now happened at least 12 times. I am concerned if my child is in trunk getting bags. It seems some "eye" must see and the door starts rising again. But I have been hit in the back and head a few times. My concern is what if the sensor does not activate and you are stuck in the door/bumper area? I am taking car to dealership but they claim to have never heard of a problem like this.

- Richboro, PA, USA