3.8

2011 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Sienna:

2011 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Dec 012013

Sienna

Hello, I own a 2011 Sienna le V6. In cold weather, it has a problem when braking where the vehicle lurches forward as it comes to a stop. The dealer drove the car and noted no issues. However, as you can see on this internet thread, many other owners have the same issue. www.siennachat.com/forum/193-problems-maintenance-repair/158410-engine-revving-up-just-before-stop.html this issue is not just annoying, I believe it is a safety issue, particularly on slippery surfaces such as snow and ice which are likely to occur in the colder weather that precipitates this issue. I believe either the engine or transmission programming needs to be modified to address this issue as soon as possible. This occurs when the engine is at high speed idle after a cold stop, which can last for many miles after you start driving.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 092014

Sienna 6-cyl

Car started rolling back and gear shifted to reverse when it was on drive gear. It shifted to gears automatically without changing gears. When went to dealer, they said its transmission is failed at 55 K miles. It was in warranty and they changed transmission but when asked they didn't give me much detailed information. My 1 work day was spoiled and inconvenience.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 112014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, all the warning lights illuminated. After driving for 15 minutes, the vehicle stalled and smoke was coming out of the hood. The engine was on fire. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 282014

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic and determined that the battery failed and caused the vehicle to stall. The battery was replaced however the dealer could not explain the cause of the battery failure. Additionally, the contact stated that the engine was previously replaced due to failed springs which caused the valves to also fail. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,312 and the current mileage was, 31,800.

- Holland , OH, USA

Feb 212013

Sienna 6-cyl

Traveling at highway speed, (55 mph) when the vsc failure message appeared along with the check engine light and apostrophe inside a triangle error/ warning light. Vehicle was purchased as a certified used vehicle at a Toyota dealership less than two weeks ago. Mileage is less than 36000.

- Arbor Vitae, WI, USA

Sep 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

9/1/12 I was driving along at highway speed of aprox. 55-60 mph when I decided to go into a shopping center. I slowed my car down and made a right turn to enter a shopping center. As I was slowing down to pull up to the entrance of the store I had my foot on the brake pedal and the car didn't want to stop. I had to apply an enormous amount of pressure to the brake but it didn't stop the engine from racing and trying to lurch forward. I forced the car out of drive and put it into reverse and the engine went back to normal. 9/6/12 I was in my car and approached a traffic light behind another car. I slowed down from aprox. 25 mph. As the car slowed I felt the car lurch forward, I applied the brake harder so as not to hit the car in front of me or the people walking across the street. I again moved the car out of gear and the engine came to normal. 9/9/12 I was in a shopping center waiting for my wife to come out and I had to move my car to let someone else get out a parking space when my car started to accelerate. I had my foot on the brake at the time this occurred and as much pressure I put on the brake was not enough to stop the car. The car still had enough power to go forward even though I had my foot on the brake. I fear for my life and any people that are in my car, let alone outside of my car. Toyota cannot duplicate the problem, I've taken it to them twice. They (Toyota) will not do anything for me. Please help.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 242012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while attempting to drive into a residential drive way, he applied the brakes and there was an increase in the engine rpms. The contact mentioned that he had to shift into park in order to stop the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 13,000.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA