2012 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Sienna:

2012 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Apr 042016

My son was attempting to get in the car and my husband, who was in the driver's seat and who thought he was already in the car, closed the sliding van door by pressing the overhead remote button. My son was trapped, arms pinned up. The door did not bounce back. This is not the first time this has happened, but it is the first time that it was a child (vs. Someone like me, who is strong enough to stop the force). I had to run out and force the door back. The latch was piercing his other side and he and his twin sister (who watched the whole thing, helplessly) were very frightened. He is probably just bruised, but what if I hadn't been standing right there?! the car was not on, and was parked in our garage.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 112016

As I have driven on the highway, on three separate occasions, my rear sliding doors have spontaneously opened on their own. After it happened the first time, we turned off the automatic door feature and it still happened another two times. When we took it into the dealership we were informed that this was a "known issue with 2007-2011 Toyota Sienna's but that Toyota has not acknowledged an issue yet with 2012 Sienna's". we were also told it would cost over $5000 for a partial fix. When I called Toyota corporation their response was "what do you want us to do about it?

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jun 022014

We first encountered a problem in which the automatic sliding door would not function to open or close automatically but it still worked manually. About a week later the rear latch of the passenger sliding door became stuck in the lock position thus not allowing the door to fully close. I took the vehicle to my mechanic who greased the latch and allowed it to function properly however the door would still only open automatically but would open or close manually just fine. During this time there were 3 instances when the door would automatically open without human intervention but while we were driving down the highway with children in the rear seats. Toyota agrees this is a major safety issue but will only split the $1,200 bill with us. Based on the fact they are willing to help pay for the repair out of warranty proves they are aware of the issue yet fail to issue a recall and put are willing to risk lives especially children's lives to save face.

- White Haven, PA, USA