7.6

2. replace the dash (3 reports)
2004 Toyota Solara accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Solara:

2004 Toyota Solara Owner Comments

May 272010

Solara SE2doorcoupe 2.4L

MY ---- DASH LOOKS LIKE SH*T. IT IS UN-CLEANABLE, LOOKS SO BAD THAT I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO RIDE IN IT.

- , Blue, Springs, USA

Oct 112013

Solara 4 cyl

Poor workmanship as there are cracks appearing on the dashboard and glovebox area.

- , AZLE, Texas, USA

Apr 102008

Solara SE V6

click to see larger images

cracking dashboard cracking dashboard

Same disgusting cracked dashboard on my 2004 Toyota Solara SE as thousands of others have reported. This was a beautiful car, seemingly a great deal for me, from my neighborhood used car dealer. Bought it in 2008. Approx 3 months after purchase, and it was still SO cherry, a small crack appeared from A/C panel to gauge cluster. From that day forward, it seemed to worsen from minute to minute. If I had been able to stay in the car and stare at it, it probably would have happened before my eyes...that is how fast it progressed. It was scary how fast this gorgeous car was ruined, despite all of the care taken. The dealer was not a Toyota franchise, so they said they could do nothing for me, Toyota, as everyone knows, refused to consider it anything to do with them. Beside the unsightly ruin of the interior of the car, you can see by the picture I included of the glove box and passenger side of dash, that this is a safety issue as well. This is the cover of the air bag. Would you like THAT coming at you on top of the air bag? Would it cut the bag, making it useless? Would it cut your neck or face? How deep do the cracks go? Will it affect the air bag's deployment in the time of need?

Sure we can cover it up with a dash cover and hide most of the ugliness. But what about the reduced value of cars we bought in good faith?

Auto manufacturers have taken care of cosmetic defects less severe than this in the past. Why are we being ignored? While this is a big ticket fix for us, the consumer, it probably isn't very much at all for them to take care of. What about a credit at trade in if we use a Toyota dealer? Something could easily be done for all these loyal Toyota families if only someone at the company would just step up.

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Solara

Same complaint as others. The car has been garaged and has a dash sun visor in place every day while at work. All of a sudden the dash cracked next to the glove compartment. (The car only has 58,000 miles on it!) I took it in and the dealer said it's my very expensive problem, about $1200 just for the part! The entire dash has to be replaced. I'm not paying it! No more Toyota's for this gal if Toyota doesn't change its policy not to fix it! This is obviously a manufacturer's defect!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 102012

Solara LE 3.2L V6

I called the dealership and it costs $1400.00 for a new dash and that does not include labor. A dashboard cover has not been molded yet. And all of the repair kits on the market have failed to make it look right. I love this car but that cracked dash is driving me crazy. I cannot justify putting that kind of money into a cosmetic issue.Toyota should really stand behind this problem.

- , Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Apr 302012

Solara SLE 4 cyl

Cracks in dashboard in two places on passenger side. They are ugly and reduce the resale value of an otherwise beautiful car. There is one vertical crack about 3 inches long and one horizontal crack just above glove compartment running the entire length of glove compartment. After researching online, I see that many Toyota Solara, Sienna and Avalon owners are complaining of same problem with cracks in dashboard. It seems to be mainly the 2004 models, but same complaint with 2005, 2006, 2007 models.

Obviously, problem is in the vinyl material of dashboard and it seems to me that since I'm not seeing newer model owners complaining about this issue, possibly Toyota figured out the problem existed and changed suppliers or materials for dashboard. I feel like Toyota owes it to loyal Toyota owners to replace the cracked dashboards since it seems to be a trend in the '04 - '07 Solara, Sienna, Avalon. This is my 2nd Toyota - 1st was a brand new '95 Camry Coupe which I kept for 10 yrs and 120K miles and traded it in for the '04 Solara SLE which now has 112K miles. Mechanically, both cars have been great and the interior of the '95 Camry Coupe was in perfect shape when I traded it in for the '04 Solara.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Solara

This roadmap defect in Toyota's dashboards is showing up all over the internet for various model cars.....I've NEVER had a problem like this on a car, excellent condition and covered parking for vehicle. Could this affect the airbag as well? It's embarrassing, but disappointing if Toyota doesn't stand behind this defect.

- , Tierra Verde, FL, USA

Feb 082013

Solara LX 2.0L

We brought this vehicle for our daughter to travel back and forth to school. After buying the car, I noticed the dash had a large crack near the passenger airbag and I'm afraid it could affect its operation. I'm sure it's going to cost too much so it's going to stay like this for now.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

May 142012

Solara SLE 3.3L V6

click to see larger images

cracking dashboard

I've attached a photo of some of the cracking, the dash is cracked like that in various locations on the dash. it is extremely annoying because I'm quite the perfectionist!

- , Terre Haute, IN, USA

Sep 202009

Solara LX V4

Toyota had my vote until my 3rd vehicle, the Toyota Solara 2004 was purchased. Problems with Tire light always coming on as well as the entire dashboard being ruined (cracked spiderwebs everwhere including an intricate pattern traveling perfectly from one side of the car to the other side of the steering wheel. Its just quite embarassing. To keep customers, problems as this should be fixed! I will NEVER buy another Toyota...period!

- , Pensacola, FL, USA