1998 Toyota Tacoma miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Tacoma:

1998 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Nov 021998

Tacoma

There is an accelerated and abnormal amount of corrosion and rust showing up on undercarriage of the vehicle. Rear leaf springs have lost rubber bumper due to rust, and suspension/frame make noises due to stress on frame which is the result of rust/corrosion. I am the original owner to this vehicle, having purchased it new and having always had it in Colorado a mostly dry climate not conducive to rust/corrosion. I have it at the same dealership I bought it from multiple times per year for service, and it is still under 150K orig miles. I have never been informed by the Toyota dealership reps. About concerns with rust/corrosion issues, nor has any company staff ever acknowledged any concerns over these issues, or has the company reached out to inform me of potential problems. In no way, shape or form has Toyota ever advised me of any recall, concerns or problems. I have lived at my current residence and had the same phone numbers for the last 15 years and this has been in the stevenson Toyota dealership records this whole time. This is extremely concerning due to the mountain driving conditions here in Colorado, and speed at which this rust/corrosion is expanding and making the vehicle weak and unsafe to operate. Apparently more owners of this vehicle and model year are experiencing the very same issues and have not been notified by Toyota. This appears to be a prolific issue that needs immediate attention.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 122016

Tacoma

"1995 through 2000 model year Tacoma frame rust corrosion warranty extension" received a letter from Toyota attached. Requested frame inspection attached. Requested another frame inspection attached. My vehicle case was not handled consistent with the intent of Toyota's program nor was I contacted by their impartial services group (isg). As a result the safety of me and my passengers has been neglected be not allowing me the safety benefits of their warranty offerings.

- Salem, NH, USA

Jul 122016

Tacoma

The frame on this vehicle is bad. My wife has had this truck since 1998 and there has never been a recall issued for this frame issue. The frame will eventually break as reported by many other consumers and is it is on the road when this happens could cause an accident. Please issue a recall.

- Petersburg, AK, USA

Jul 012015

Tacoma

My frame is rusted and cracked in half. I welded a plate to the frame and used a bolt for the shock mount to replace the busted shock mount. Concerned about the safety of the vehicle as I am waiting for the rest of the frame to break in half as I am driving.

- Loveland, OH, USA

Apr 012016

Tacoma

I bought my '98 Toyota Tacoma in 2000. Since that purchase I have never received a letter regarding any recalls or safely issues. I have only moved once since I purchased this vehicle and that was in 2003. So I feel that Toyota made no honest effort to contact me regarding any issues so I should be able to address and have repaired any problems that were recalled such as the corroding frame. This is a serious issue that Toyota conveniently let fall through the cracks.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Dec 072015

Tacoma

I took my 1998 Tacoma in for an inspection at my local dealer in November of 2011. I was told it passed and had only normal surface rust. No compensation in any form was made, not even an undercoating. My VIN number fell into the category of being suspect from the manufacturer. I made the dealer aware of this at the time. Now at 190K miles and the 15 yr deadline gone, I have a useless truck that is basically worth nothing as far as I can tell. This issue should have been dealt with in 2011 when they were given the chance. The dealer just sends you on your merry way because they know there is nothing you can do about it. The frame rusts from the inside out. Nothing will fix it. Toyota should be held responsible for the rusty frames.

- Asheville, NC, USA

May 132015

Tacoma

Frame rusted through. Toyota says recall expired. Gow can safety issue of this magnatude expire?

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012012

Tacoma

My vehicle's frame is dangerously rusting out. I heard there was a recall and when I called Toyota about two years ago the said I had just missed the cut off. Since then it had gotten progressively worse. The body mounts have separated from the frame and where the leaf spring is attached is getting ready to separate. These are also holes in the frame. If anybody has any advise would be greatly appreciated. Does not seem right that they could have a recall and I was never contacted and when I contacted them that they told me I missed it by only months?

- Kapaa, HI, USA

Nov 011998

Tacoma

Air bag indicator and emergency brake inducator failed. Nlm

- Canoga Par, CA, USA

Nov 111999

Tacoma

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- San Francisco, CA, USA