1998 Toyota Tacoma steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Tacoma:

1998 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Apr 162014

I had exited the freeway for fuel. I had to come to a full stop and then make a left turn to go over the freeway. As I made the turn, the right front wheel broke a ball joint and the tire/wheel swung out at a right angle to the car. Given the miles on the car, I accepted the failure of the part. However, the initial failure was repaired by a Toyota dealer. Yesterday, 6/30/15, the same failure occurred. I came to a stop to make a right turn. The same thing occurred. My right front wheel broke a ball joint and the tire/wheel turned at 90 degrees to the side of the truck. Something is wrong with the steering system. To break a ball joint, installed by a dealer, after about 13 months is unreasonable. My truck is regularly maintained and I've asked my mechanic to keep an eye on the ball joints after my first problem. He regularly inspected them and kept them greased.

- Murphys, CA, USA

Dec 122012

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Driving down a busy boulevard, my wheel fell off and my vehicle slammed on the ground. I am lucky to not have killed anyone, and am still afraid to drive my vehicle. Faulty ball joints + rusted frames make this vehicle potentially very dangerous. Toyota initiated a program to buy Tacoma back directly from consumers, but I was not notified of the program. Now I am stuck with a potentially incredibly dangerous truck.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 142013

Tacoma 4-cyl

Hello, my vehicle is a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. It has approx. 152,000 miles on it. The issue I am having with the vehicle is primarily frame rust, the frame is beginning to look like "swiss cheese." The frame of the vehicle is in terrible shape, the spare tire even fell out due to rust. I called Toyota to inquire about the frame rust and was told that there is no warranty to cover this. I searched online and it says that 1995-2000 Toyota Tacoma's were under recall for frame rust because the rust would make the vehicles unsafe to drive because the structural integrity of the vehicle would be compromised. So I searched around and found that my vehicle is currently 15 years, 4 months old and that Toyota would not cover the vehicle. I believe that rust is an ongoing issue and takes several months/years to develop, it is not something which occurs overnight. The rust looks mainly to be surface rust on the outside, but in reality the rust has developed from the inside-out and rotted the frame out, therefore it was not caught earlier. I hope this recall is extended, there are many rusted Toyota Tacoma listed for sale from the 1995-2000 model year, which also have the same issue. The issue was caused by Toyota's 3rd party supplier not properly rust proofing the frames, therefore making them highly susceptible to rust. I hope that Toyota does something to resolve the issue.

- Canton, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Power steering metal tubing rusted out causing fluid leak and ultimately steering failure.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 031998

While driving at any speed the steering and the vehicle vibrate. When applying the brakes the vehicle will be vibrating. Contacted dealer, can't determine the problem.

- Durham, NC, USA