1.4

1998 Toyota Tacoma suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota Tacoma:

1998 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Nov 021998

Tacoma

There is an accelerated and abnormal amount of corrosion and rust showing up on undercarriage of the vehicle. Rear leaf springs have lost rubber bumper due to rust, and suspension/frame make noises due to stress on frame which is the result of rust/corrosion. I am the original owner to this vehicle, having purchased it new and having always had it in Colorado a mostly dry climate not conducive to rust/corrosion. I have it at the same dealership I bought it from multiple times per year for service, and it is still under 150K orig miles. I have never been informed by the Toyota dealership reps. About concerns with rust/corrosion issues, nor has any company staff ever acknowledged any concerns over these issues, or has the company reached out to inform me of potential problems. In no way, shape or form has Toyota ever advised me of any recall, concerns or problems. I have lived at my current residence and had the same phone numbers for the last 15 years and this has been in the stevenson Toyota dealership records this whole time. This is extremely concerning due to the mountain driving conditions here in Colorado, and speed at which this rust/corrosion is expanding and making the vehicle weak and unsafe to operate. Apparently more owners of this vehicle and model year are experiencing the very same issues and have not been notified by Toyota. This appears to be a prolific issue that needs immediate attention.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 012016

Tacoma

Frame on my truck is rusting to a point of being a safety issue. Toyota needs to replace this so vehicle will be safe.

- West Newfield, ME, USA

Dec 152014

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at various speeds, there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The contact observed that the frame was completely rusted and fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000. Updated 8/31/15 the consumer stated Toyota had not honored the promise to replace the rusted frames. Updated 10/14/2015

- Pioneer, TN, USA

Jun 012012

Tacoma

My vehicle's frame is dangerously rusting out. I heard there was a recall and when I called Toyota about two years ago the said I had just missed the cut off. Since then it had gotten progressively worse. The body mounts have separated from the frame and where the leaf spring is attached is getting ready to separate. These are also holes in the frame. If anybody has any advise would be greatly appreciated. Does not seem right that they could have a recall and I was never contacted and when I contacted them that they told me I missed it by only months?

- Kapaa, HI, USA

Jan 252015

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Frame rusted out causing leafspring to sink into frame.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 192013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

When checking to see if my shocks need to be replaced I find I have a rusted frame above right rear wheel and in front of left front wheel. This was the first I had any knowledge of it. A friend advised me there was a recall so I called Toyota. I was advised they still had the previous owners information even though I purchased it from a dealer on 2/11/2005. I never received a recall notice and never heard anything about it and was told they would not do anything to fix it. Is there anything you can do to help. The truck is still a good 4WD truck.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 122012

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Driving down a busy boulevard, my wheel fell off and my vehicle slammed on the ground. I am lucky to not have killed anyone, and am still afraid to drive my vehicle. Faulty ball joints + rusted frames make this vehicle potentially very dangerous. Toyota initiated a program to buy Tacoma back directly from consumers, but I was not notified of the program. Now I am stuck with a potentially incredibly dangerous truck.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 142013

Tacoma 4-cyl

Hello, my vehicle is a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. It has approx. 152,000 miles on it. The issue I am having with the vehicle is primarily frame rust, the frame is beginning to look like "swiss cheese." The frame of the vehicle is in terrible shape, the spare tire even fell out due to rust. I called Toyota to inquire about the frame rust and was told that there is no warranty to cover this. I searched online and it says that 1995-2000 Toyota Tacoma's were under recall for frame rust because the rust would make the vehicles unsafe to drive because the structural integrity of the vehicle would be compromised. So I searched around and found that my vehicle is currently 15 years, 4 months old and that Toyota would not cover the vehicle. I believe that rust is an ongoing issue and takes several months/years to develop, it is not something which occurs overnight. The rust looks mainly to be surface rust on the outside, but in reality the rust has developed from the inside-out and rotted the frame out, therefore it was not caught earlier. I hope this recall is extended, there are many rusted Toyota Tacoma listed for sale from the 1995-2000 model year, which also have the same issue. The issue was caused by Toyota's 3rd party supplier not properly rust proofing the frames, therefore making them highly susceptible to rust. I hope that Toyota does something to resolve the issue.

- Canton, MI, USA

Apr 132012

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. While parked, the contact noticed that the rear frame was corroded and the rear axle had detached from the frame. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 172,000. Updated 05/16/12 the consumer stated Toyota purchased the vehicle back from him. Updated 05/22/12

- Seymour, MO, USA

Apr 112001

Tacoma

The vehicle vibrates at highway speeds and the brakes vibrate when applied as if the discs are bent, mechanic can not find any problems that would cause these symptoms.

- Fort Lee, VA, USA

Oct 011998

Tacoma

Suspension system mushy, replaced all shock absorbers and springs to correct problem.

- Camarillo, CA, USA