2001 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 042008

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma has failed a frame rot inspection by Toyota that has been occurring in Tacoma since 1995. A recall was issued on 1995 through 2000 Tacoma has been issued and Toyota is buying back the pickup at 1 and 1/2 times the suggested blue book on the pickups. I was told that there is no recall on 2001 at this time. I have the same problem as the 1995 through 2000 why should they not be made to recall the 2001 Tacoma for an obvious safety problem. I have done alot of research and found many other Toyota owners with a 2001 Tacoma with the same safety problem how can Toyota allow people to drive a product with such a safety problem. The frame can snap and the cab become separated from the frame. Toyota should be made to recall all the trucks with this problem as it is only a matter of time before someone is killed because of this problem. I am in the fourth week of dealing with Toyota on this problem and still have no answer. I have had to rent a car while I wait for Toyota to decide what to do with my truck which the dealer said is unsafe to drive. If Toyota knows about this problem how come they are not made to deal with the 2001 owners the same as the 1995 through 2000 owners I think this is unfair for a company not to stand behind a safety issue. Please look into this safety problem as someone will be hurt in an accident if Toyota does not own up to the problem.

- Franklin, NJ, USA

Nov 072008

2001 Toyota Tacoma not covered in 1995-2000 frame rust "soft recall" of March, 2008. On November 7, 2008 vehicle failed vt state safety inspection due to pervasive penetrating frame rust. Although Toyota knew of the defective frames prior to the March customer notification, Toyota chose not to alert me (owner of a 2001 model) of this condition. On November 14, 2008 and November 19, 2008, Toyota dealership and corporate staff verified the rusted frame and noted that vehicle was not safe to drive. Although this failure didn't result in injury or death, I am concerned other 2001 owners may not be so lucky. Toyota has done nothing to alert 2001 owners of this serious safety defect. We're finding out one at a time as our vehicles fail safety inspections. Based upon my observations of the frame, I believe the defect is not simply the absence of a corrosion inhibiting coating, but rather inappropriate metallurgy - I.e. the frame itself could not possibly have been constructed from the correct quality of steel for this type of service.

- Richmond, VT, USA

Jun 182008

The frame on my Toyota Tacoma has extensive rust. Toyota has recalled vehicles with rusted frames for the years 1995 to 2000. The same thing is happening to newer vehicles and the danger is still the same. Rust keeps getting worse and soon it will be a safety hazard.

- Sanford, ME, USA

Oct 012008

Purchased a new Toyota Tacoma and was told our 2001 that we were trading was not part of the recall for frame rust. The dealer offered us $1K for it so we gave it as a gift to our daughters boyfriend. It needed a new muffler and he took it in to have it replaced only to find that the frame was completely rusted out and it did not pass inspection. Called Toyota customer service and got a case number but this poor kid has now been without a vehicle for over a month. Can not get a rental as those folks with 1995 to 2000 got. Seems unfair but more than that, what about the safety of all those people driving around in 2001's that have not been recalled!!

- Westminster, MA, USA

Oct 082008

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. Recently I became aware that the frame was rusted and the vehicle was unsafe to drive. I contacted Toyota and was informed that my 2001 was not covered by their consumer protection program that bought back 1995-2000 Tacoma with the same problem, at 150% of the kelly blue book value. They have indicated that they will make me an offer probably at 100% of the kbb value. I have two children in college and 529 plans rocked by the economy and no extra money to spare. I was counting on the 'bullet proof' reliability claims of Toyota and to keep the vehicle for several more years. I have enjoyed and appreciated the vehicle until now and cannot replace the truck at the current kbb value. I think this issue has impacted the resale value of these vehicles. More importantly however is that it is my understanding that Toyota had notified the vehicle owners of the 1995-2000 Tacoma covered by their program, of the possible frame problems. They have not notified any of the owners of the newer vehicles that have, or may have the problem. It is my understanding that the frames could brake in some instances which could cause a serious accident and injury.

- Burlington , MA, USA

Sep 022008

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck was showing excessive frame rust. I noticed this when changing the oil. I had mentioned this to a few friends of mine who recently told me of a recall for 1995 through 2000 Tacoma for the same reason. I took my truck to the dealership where I purchased the truck new in November of 2000. The service manager inspected the frame and filed a report with Toyota. They sent out an inspector who looked at the frame and filed a report. I was told they would be in contact within 2 to 3 weeks. After not hearing from them, I called the service manager back and asked if he had heard anything at which time he had me call the customer assistance number for Toyota. They gave me a claim number and said I would be hearing back within 24 hours. I got a call from Toyota telling me they were aware of the claim, that my truck was not part of the recall and someone may contact me back. When I asked when, they said they had no answer for me. They also told me my truck was not under warranty at this point, which I was already aware of this fact. My truck was inspected over a month ago and I have received nothing. I am afraid to drive my truck and with winter coming on, I have no vehicle to drive in the snow. My truck has less then 100,000 miles on it and is in excellent shape other then the frame. Toyota needs to make this right. I am very disappointed in how they are handling this with the owners of the 2001 and up trucks. They should be required to take responsibility for these vehicles immediately and not by screwing people with offers of less then they are offering the owners of 1995 through 2000. That just adds insult to injury.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 302008

There has been no incident as of yet. The truck was taken to the dealership after we went to have the brakes fixed and were told that the frame of the truck was rusting through. The dealer informed us that the recall on our truck would not be put through for another 30 days. And that our truck was safe to drive. How ever I feel that it is unsafe to drive since you can put your hand through the frame where it has rusted. This is our only vehicle and we cannot afford to purchase another at this time. The truck is a 2001 and this is 2008, this truck is used for daily needs and general riding.

- Mcarthur, OH, USA

Aug 112008

I was told Sept 11,2008 that my 2001 Toyota Tacoma was rusted out beyond being fixed in the frame. I was contacted and made an offer of 100% kbb to but the truck back from me and when I told them I owed more then what was offered they replied that I had to say yes or no. I do not know what to do. I don't have the extra money to pay the loan off to settle.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Sep 192008

I heard about the Toyota recall for frame 'perforation' on 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups. I have a 2001 and didn't think to check mine until a friend with the same year/make/model discovered his frame had the same issue. I checked my frame and it is rotted in the exact same place his was. I have opened a case with Toyota (#200809250175) and am awaiting response. I am already being met with responses from Toyota like "your truck is outside of the service bulletin" and "you are not covered". my truck is newer than the ones being covered and has the same issue. I don't understand why it would not be covered. Since this is an issue with the frame. I am afraid to drive the truck. As failure of the frame could result in serious injury or death to myself or my family.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 222008

Fax from senator bernard sanders on behalf of his constituent who has concerns about the rusted frame of her 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The consumer stated the frame was rusted to the point where it was no longer safe.

- Windsor, VT, USA

Aug 262008

2001 Toyota Tacoma with frame rot. The truck has been confiscated as it was unsafe to drive. It has been 3 wks now and Toyota can't even give me a completion date. They are still inspecting the vehicle. My rental coverage is only good for 30 days then I need to pay for it. Toyota is telling me to be patient as they need to tend to the 1995-2000 customers first as they had issued a warranty extension that did not pertain to my vehicle although its the same frame problem. My frame was corroded and wasn't going to pass inspection nor was the vehicle safe to drive. I am left paying on a vehicle I no longer have in my possession and case manager telling me to be patient!!!! this is unacceptable and Toyota needs to cover the rotting frame issue in all of their vehicles since its Toyota's problem, not the consumers. Please help me!!!!

- Parsonsfield, ME, USA

Aug 122008

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact took the vehicle to the shop for routine maintenance and was informed that the front frame was corroded. The manufacturer inspected the vehicle and concluded that due to the severe frame corrosion, the vehicle was a safety hazard on the road. The contact was advised not to drive the vehicle. Toyota did not include the 2001 Tacoma frame into the recall; therefore, they would not assist with the repair. The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. The failure mileage was 121,946 and current mileage was 122,946. Updated 10/03/08 updated 10/07/08.

- Wolcott, VT, USA

Jul 252008

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup with rust holes in the frame. Toyota has offered to buy my truck back but at a fraction of what they offered owners of 1995-2000 leaving me with nothing to trade and nothing to put down on a new vehicle.

- Windsor, VT, USA

Jul 082008

The frame on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma has frame rot. In some places on the frame the rot is 8-10 inches long. The only thing that I have done with the truck has been driving it to work on a paved highway.

- Monroe, NY, USA

May 112008

I own a 2001 Tacoma pickup. It has been condemned because of a rust rotted body. I was not allowed to drive it off the lot. Toyota is doing a buy back on 1995-2000 owners and giving them 150% of the kelly blue book value plus $1,000 incentive towards a new purchase. All of us, and there are many, 2001 owners are only being offered 100% of the kbb on our newer, less used vehicles with the same problems. We have received a letter from Toyota attorneys giving us 6 months to accept or reject their offer. If I reject it, I get nothing. I feel this is unfair as my truck was newer but am being given less than 2000 owners. Can you help? thank you.

- Salisbury, MA, USA

Aug 242008

Truck frame rails are structurally unsound due to significant corrosion from exposure to road salt. Discovered a corroded through section on the left inner frame rail (3 to 4 inches width) aft of the transfer case cross member and forward of the rear suspension and gas tank. A complete and detailed inspection of the frame rails has not been completed currently.

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Jul 202008

2001 Toyota Tacoma frame rusted through and verified by local dealership. Toyota is buying back up to 2000 year models but 2001 models are excluded. When the frame is rusted through, regardless of the year, this is a serious safety issue that the national highway transportation safety administration needs to address with Toyota corporation. Arbitrarily selecting the years and last vehicle identification number Toyota will cover in the buy-back program is ridiculous as this rust issue is bigger than what Toyota has anticipated. We filed a claim with Toyota they said our vehicle did not qualify for the 150% buy back, however they would buy it back for the current retail value. Our truck was built in September 2000 (qualified there), but the VIN number was 4,096 past the cut-off (didn't qualify there). Toyota builds 3,500 Tacoma per week. What makes them think that there weren't some bad frames still in their inventory at the time our truck was built. Some 2001 Tacoma owners have reported that Toyota has taken their truck away from them (after inspection) and have held it for several months and won't give it back to the owners and are only offering retail for a settlement. 2001 Tacoma owners have no choice...accept the current retail price we have offered you because you won't get your truck back. 2000 Tacoma is 150% of the retail value and we'll take that rust bucket off your hands.

- Lebanon, IN, USA

Jul 292008

2001 Toyota Tacoma has a rusted frame. Consumer states that the truck frame rusted and caused the truck to break in half when it was placed on a lift at the dealership.

- West Hurley, NY, USA

Jun 162008

Continued from previous complaint- 10235644 -frame issues, 2001 Toyota general of New York state and several lawyers. A letter was posted in the dealership that they are not allowed to refuse to look at a 2001 to 2004 Tacoma that someone brings in with frame concerns. It is an insult that a company that we loved, that prides it's self on quality service and customer happiness would do something so discriminatory to a Toyota owner. We are of the mind that we will never buy another Toyota due to this experience. We want everyone who owns a 2001 and up Tacoma to know that their trucks are possibly dangerous if they have been in states that use road salt in the winter months. We were driving a time bomb, and think that anyone who owns a Tacoma should join in a class-action suit against Toyota. They knew we were driving these trucks with our families in them. We were driving these trucks in places that could have killed someone else. Please help us to get back what is entitled to us and everyone else they are hiding it from. Thank you for your time.

- Hinsdale , NY, USA

Jun 162008

No-one has been hurt, injured or killed to our knowledge, yet. The Toyota corporation is offering a buy back of 1995-2000 Tacoma due to frame "failure" and manufacturer issues with the frames on the trucks built in those years. We took our 2001 Toyota Tacoma that was manufactured in Oct. Of 2000, to a dealership and they refused to look at it because it was not in the buy back range. The frame was extremely rusty and because we had heard about the "buy back" we wanted it looked at solely because of the Oct. 2000 manufacture date. We contacted a lemon law lawyer and they said we have a case, and gave us Toyota's corporate number. We were told by Toyota that it would be sent through a claims process and they wanted us to make an appointment to have the frame looked at. At the appointment at the dealership, the tech looked at the frame and said that a Toyota field representative would need to be brought in due to the concerns he had. The field representative came in from California and looked at the frame. He tapped it with a hammer in a few places and it went through. They told us we could not have our Tacoma back as it would not pass inspection any more and arranged a rental. We were told that we would get 150% of the retail price for buy back by one of the Toyota employees. We were told at the dealership by the representatives to keep quiet and not tell anyone else about what was happening with our Tacoma, which we thought was odd. A month later, we receive a phone call from Toyota saying that they would give us only 12,000 dollars for a truck that by their own standards of 150% of retail, though it was the 2001 model year, was worth over $19,700. They told us that it was their final locked in number and that it was take it or leave it. We told Toyota that it was terrible that they would treat us this way and told them they would hear from a lawyer in some capacity. We have reported our experience to the attorney general of New York state... (continued).

- Hinsdale , NY, USA