1.6

2001 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 162008

Tacoma

No-one has been hurt, injured or killed to our knowledge, yet. The Toyota corporation is offering a buy back of 1995-2000 Tacoma due to frame "failure" and manufacturer issues with the frames on the trucks built in those years. We took our 2001 Toyota Tacoma that was manufactured in Oct. Of 2000, to a dealership and they refused to look at it because it was not in the buy back range. The frame was extremely rusty and because we had heard about the "buy back" we wanted it looked at solely because of the Oct. 2000 manufacture date. We contacted a lemon law lawyer and they said we have a case, and gave us Toyota's corporate number. We were told by Toyota that it would be sent through a claims process and they wanted us to make an appointment to have the frame looked at. At the appointment at the dealership, the tech looked at the frame and said that a Toyota field representative would need to be brought in due to the concerns he had. The field representative came in from California and looked at the frame. He tapped it with a hammer in a few places and it went through. They told us we could not have our Tacoma back as it would not pass inspection any more and arranged a rental. We were told that we would get 150% of the retail price for buy back by one of the Toyota employees. We were told at the dealership by the representatives to keep quiet and not tell anyone else about what was happening with our Tacoma, which we thought was odd. A month later, we receive a phone call from Toyota saying that they would give us only 12,000 dollars for a truck that by their own standards of 150% of retail, though it was the 2001 model year, was worth over $19,700. They told us that it was their final locked in number and that it was take it or leave it. We told Toyota that it was terrible that they would treat us this way and told them they would hear from a lawyer in some capacity. We have reported our experience to the attorney general of New York state... (continued).

- Hinsdale , NY, USA

Jul 212008

Tacoma

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma that appears well into the initial stages of frame problems. Appears to have excessive rust formation and some bubbling. Appears to be the same issue that 95-2000 Tacoma are being recalled for. Toyota though will not include newer Tacoma, with the same problem in their buyback program for the 95-2000's and are offering significantly less when the frames fail. This is both discriminatory and highly insulting to the newer Tacoma owners. We should be offered the same buyback options and conditions as the earlier models. Free inspections to determine if the problem exists should also be provided, as they are with the earlier models. The frame issue extends well beyond the previously mentioned years and Toyota needs to do what is right for all Tacoma customers. Under their present provisions a 97 Tacoma would be bought back by the company for more than my 2001, with the same issue and problem. This is a major safety issue that when identified, renders your vehicle useless and decreases its resale value to nothing. Toyota needs to be offer the same buyback option and incentives as with the 95-2000's. they also need to publicly admit that many Tacoma of all years are having the same failure. It could cost some unknowing individual their life, if the frame failed.

- Bellaire, OH, USA

Jul 032008

Tacoma

We took our 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck to a mechanic for routine service and he told us the frame is so rusted, he could break it with his hand. He told us it was unsafe to drive and to look into contacting Toyota, which we did. The dealer told us they couldn't do anything because only the 95-2000 models were being recalled. We contacted customer service at Toyota and they told us we would hear from someone within 30 days regarding our complaint.

- Mason, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma. Frame corrosion. Toyota motor company has done a voluntary recall from model years 1995-2000. This recall does not include models after 2000. I own a 2001 vehicle with extensive frame corrosion but I'm not eligible for the voluntary recall.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Jun 292008

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma frame rot.

- Manchester , NH, USA

Jun 202008

Tacoma

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma double cab frame is rusted through. Toyota is buying back older ones but the frame is the same or worse on my 2001 with no holes to let water and salt out. This is a potentially dangerous situation and since they bought the older ones back in this area it must be serious.

- Acme, PA, USA

Apr 022008

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma diagnosed with frame rot back on 4/2/08. Numerous huge holes in right rear frame rail. Told by Toyota not to drive vehicle as it is unsafe. I have no other vehicle still driving this truck. My vehicle was manufactured 01/01. Not part of current buy-back program 1995-2000. I am caught between the current buyback program and the original warranty. The Toyota Tacoma owners with the same issue are being offered a deal of 150% to return the truck. My truck has the same exact defect as 1995-2000 model why is my offer not the same. I would like my case reviewed. This program should include my 2001. My safety and Toyota's reputation are both on the line.

- Monson, MA, USA

Nov 221999

Tacoma

I have a 2001 Tacoma that failed frame inspection that was performed by Toyota I have had the vehicle for 1 year and basically they are now telling me it is worthless and I believe a danger not only to me but to others on the highway I have softball sized holes in my frame I bought the vehicle for approx. 15,000 that's with taxes and a warranty I purchased at the time now they offered my 10,000 to buy it back while at the same time they are offering 1995 to 2000 owners 150% above full retail" I feel this is unfair it was produced with the same faulty steel that my truck was but they are cutting me off now I am not sure what to do?? also there was a carfax reporting frame damage the dealership told me there ase tech's checked it and it was fine now I wonder??"

- Finleyville, PA, USA

May 152008

Tacoma

We have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with complete frame rot. Toyota has taken it and given us a free rental. It has been over a month and they say they can't tell us anything however did say that we would probably only get 100% kbb. This 2001 is not within the years of their buy back program. My husband filed a complaint at the beginning of this process sometime in the middle of May. There is a blog on edmunds.com that people write into everyday. More and more 2001 owners are writing saying that they have rot and are turning in their trucks. Someone should put pressure on Toyota to give owners of newer vehicles the same deal as the older ones in the buy back program. I have heard of 2002 and 2004 trucks failing inspection. People have little information and no recourse available to them. There was one guy saying that kbb of his truck was 7000 and he still owes 15000 on it. Toyota has a big problem. The consumer needs help here making them step up. It's way more than just 1995 to 2000 Tacoma. All the 2001S I have been hearing about on the blog and older years cannot just be a coincidence. There was a 2002 at the dealership that failed the day we were there for an inspection.

- Shirley, MA, USA

May 012008

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma frame rot - Toyota is only including 1995-2000 in their "silent recall" for frame rot. Mine failed their 2 inspections (May 01, 2008 and May 20, 2008) my truck was taken from me. I was told it is "unsafe to drive". evidently Toyota is paying owners for newer trucks much less money than 1995-2000 Tacoma owners. They have a much bigger problem with their production than is being acknowledged and reported. Please investigate later model years that exhibit serious frame rot issues before someone in the later model years is seriously injured or killed. I am happy to supply pictures of my specific, completely rusted, frame that has holes in many locations. This truck was well maintained, washed, waxed, garage-kept. The truck body is in fantastic shape. The only problem is the rusted, rotted frame with large holes in it.

- Holden, MA, USA

May 292008

Rusting frame.

- Medford, MA, USA

Apr 152008

Tacoma

2001 Toyota truck - when an auto company finds a product defect, a recall is ordered & the defect fixed at company cost. No one blames the salesman, repairman, dealership, etc if the auto company doesn't address the defect, it loses its reputation & its business goes away. However there is a terrible prejudice when my vehicle has the exact same defect and I am being treated differently than other owners. I purchased a 2001 truck it has been garage kept, detailed and hand waxed twice a year and only has 87K miles. Your safety defect of a bad box frame resulted in a recall. The 2000 truck owners with the same issue are being offered a deal of 150% to return the truck. I am not being offered the same deal however my truck has the same safety defect. I would like my case reviewed, resulting in the same offer as the 2000 owners. The program should include my 2001 truck it has a safety defect (rusted box frame).

- Claysville, PA, USA

May 132008

Tacoma 6-cyl

Our 2001 Toyota Tacoma was in for muffler repair when the tech noticed rust on the frame. He said that it was over a 2ft section on one side he could put both hands through and a small section on the other side. Since Toyota extended their warranty for the same problem on veh yrs 95-2000, I think they have acknowledged enough of a prob that they should include other years if newer trucks than that are exhibiting problems. One tech that looked at our truck said that it prob could not be fixed/ welded. We are still getting other estimates and will prob have to have a Toyota tech look at it just to have it on the record.

- Shirley, MA, USA

Jun 012006

Tacoma 4-cyl

I, own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. I bought it new in Jan. 2001. I put 93000 miles on it.last June I went to my repair shop to have my leaf springs replaced. Much to my surprise the mechanic told me that my frame was rusted so bad that it could not be repaired. I went to the dealer and presented the problem to them. They told me that the road salt was to blame not Toyota! now there is a recall on 1995 to 2000 trucks for the same problem. Since the rust problem I have not driven my truck it is still registered and insured. The people at Toyota should look into this problem before one gets in an accident and somebody gets hurt. There are alot of these trucks on the road. Thank you hpl.

- Brimfield , MA, USA

May 012008

Tacoma

The frame is completely rusted out.... only 60,000 miles.

- Orr's Island, ME, USA

Sep 082007

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with 83,000 miles. I have taken very good care of it and have been very happy with it except for the issue of severe frame rust. The body looks great, however the frame rust is just about all over the underside of the vehicle and includes the brake system, frame, drive train, etc. I have many older vehicles that have seen similar wear and use that have no frame rust whatsoever. This seems to be a common problem with the recently manufactured Tacoma and I believe it is due to a manufacturing flaw.

- Charleston, SC, USA