2001 Toyota Tacoma suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 212016

Tacoma

I am unsure when this had happened but the frame on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma is corroded and broken into 2 pieces in 2 different areas. The place where it is broken is not corroded but just broke. Would like to know if this truck is under a safety issue that Toyota should be responsible for or if it is just an expensive paper weight.

- Dupont, IN, USA

Aug 212016

Tacoma

My wife recently had a wreck, she was going 45 mph, the truck went off the road, crossing over center line, after making impact with the dirt with the front end of the truck, the truck lost it's steering, from there the truck flipped 5 times on it's side, it finally came to rest on it's side, 5 feet away from a house. She had to be cut from the truck. Her L2 exploded in her back, she's now having to learn how to walk again among other things from extreme nerve damage. She just recently left the hospital/rehabilitation from an extended stay. Still upset about not knowing what caused the wreck, we decided to look up the truck to see if there had ever been a recall dealing with what exactly happened in her wreck, this is when we found out about the lower ball-joint failing causing the actions of loss of steering, accidents, and accidents with flipping. An investigation has yet to be done on the truck, we're hoping this complaint will inspire an investigation, but also educate anyone with this year and make of truck, that this is what could happen possibly to anyone.

- Inman, SC, USA

Oct 112016

Tacoma

Ball joint separated causing driver to lose control of vehicle.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Aug 122016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at a slow speed, there was an abnormal sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the fuel tank strap fractured due to excessive corrosion. The contact stated that the subframe that supported the rear suspension was also excessively corroded. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 05V225000 (suspension); however, the repair failed to remedy the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,613.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

May 092016

Tacoma

Lower ball joints have failed. While other 2001 Tacoma's were in the recall, mine is not included, even though it is the same failure! the tires have are wearing unevenly and there is some stability issue. There seems to be "pulling" to one side as well.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 042015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 10 mph and making a left turn, the front driver side of the vehicle collapsed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 230,000.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Tacoma

While I was driving the passenger side wheel completely buckled under the truck. Luckily, I was only driving 15 mph. Had this broken while I was on the interstate, I would have been injured or injured someone else. As a result, the mechanic found that both ball joints were bad so both were replaced. The frame is completely rusted out and the spare tire cannot be removed. No notice was ever given to us or the previous owner by Toyota, regarding the problems stated above.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Mar 182015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel began to vibrate excessively. The failure occurred only when driving 50 mph or greater. The vehicle was taken to an independent, who informed that both front lower ball joints would need to be replaced. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign id number: 05V225000 (suspension) and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 194,000.

- Sunland Park, NM, USA

May 202015

Tacoma

I took vehicle in for recall for tire plate replacement because cases have come to light where they rust and fall out along with tires. At the shop the mechanic determine the vehicle is dangerous for driving and they were unable to lift truck to replace plate because chassis is no longer good because of rust and its rusted out; no stability. They also advised Toyota has a recall for chassis and its also on the website NHTSA recall # 12V542 and manufacture recall # cov where they will replace, correct or buy back vehicle. I called Toyota and they stated its not a recall its only a campaign and they are not able to assist my vehicle even though it its a recall. I spoke to crystal from Toyota at 800-331-4331 case # 1505272075. Please assist I now have a perfect vehicle that is no longer good at all.

- Melrose Park , IL, USA

Mar 282015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

My ODI # 10703114 im sure as you are the federal safety adm.,, you have already read the study, where a group of really smart engineers & analysis found that the 2001 to 2004 Toyota Tacoma frame failure was from the box design coupled with low grade steel & insignificant rust preventive, resulted in potential catastrophe frame failure leading to a potential hazardous situation!!~!!! but if you deem it not to inform the us consumer --- far be it for me to suggest how you should do your job ! my apologies.

- Colora, MD, USA

Mar 292015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

While turning right out of parking lot at slow speed, passenger side wheel disengaged from lower ball joint leading to loss of steering.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Feb 252015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at various speeds, a squeaking sound emitted from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the front driver side ball joint was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Nov 062014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The frame on my Toyota Tacoma 2001 truck is so rusted out that it is not inspect-able. The local Toyota dealership will do nothing for me....I have contacted Toyota customer service...waiting for a call back...Toyota needs to do something to fix the problem....NHTSA...please help!!

- Bangor, ME, USA

Sep 072014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Noticed that the right rear of truck bed is sagging so I looked under the truck and saw the chassis is rusted all the way through.

- Kingston, IL, USA

Jul 092014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, he noticed that the frame was tilted causing the tires to wear out prematurely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the spring shackle fractured due to the frame being completely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Hawthorne, MO, USA

Apr 242014

Tacoma

After being driven on the highway approximately 60 miles, the 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck was being backed into the driveway when steering suddenly locked. Upon inspection, it was determined that the front passenger wheel was no longer attached to the car. The lower ball joint had failed. I determined that Toyota issued a recall for my vehicle model and year (NHTSA campaign number: 05V225000) for this issue, with the following consequence: The lower ball joint may separate from the knuckle causing loss of steering control and a crash could occur. It seems that our vehicle experienced this issue for which vehicles were recalled by Toyota. However, when I called Toyota, I was told that our VIN was not included in the recall and that Toyota was not willing to do anything. We had to spend the money and time to fix the failed ball joint and are considering replacing the driver side ball joint prophylactically as we no longer trust the wheels to remain on our truck. I have never seen a wheel come off a car. If the wheel had disengaged from our car 2 minutes prior, when the vehicle was moving at highway speeds, the consequences could have been severe. I am very disappointed that Toyota is not including our car in the recall - even though the exact same issue for which the recall was issued (for our vehicle model and year) occurred on our car. If the accident had happened at high speeds, someone would have died and a lawyer would be contacting Toyota and NHTSA. Perhaps the recall needs to be expanded!

- Idaho Springs, CO, USA

Jan 182014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Hi, I just want to express my concern for my vehicle as I love my Tacoma and how it drives and works for me in my daily life. As I had took my vehicle in for a recall on my spare tire cable, the technician and service man had told me that in my frame of my vehicle there is a large rusted out hole. Since then, I really haven't felt safe driving my vehicle anywhere as I'm afraid that my frame will break and cause a really bad accident. I've also have had in the past where my dad's vehicle (1998 Toyota Tacoma) was recalled for the same exact thing (frame issue). As for my vehicle, I am the second owner and my brother was the first. This vehicle has been here in the Minnesota weather all its life time. Please do something about this, if not, I will push this forward where I will get some attention to my vehicle, my safety, and others. And plus, I wouldn't want to make this into a legal matter as I love my Toyota.

- West Lakeland, MN, USA

Apr 232014

Tacoma 4-cyl

I bought this vehicle used in 2011 and was notified of a recall for frame rust. By the time I got around to scheduling an appt, I was informed the recall had ended. Now, however, the frame is severely corroded and is starting to give way at the rear shackle. I feel this vehicle has become a serious hazard to drive due to the frame buckling. If the recall was put into effect, Toyota is aware of the problem, and now it has become a serious liability and safety issue. I would like to get this vehicle repaired to the point of making it safe, but feel that I was not given ample opportunity to have this done under the limited time left on the recall when I bought it. The fact that there is a serious issue with the frame construction is evident by the fact that the body has almost no corrosion present. There appears to be a manufacturing issue with the heavy frame steel that should not be corroding like this. There is currently also an active recall for the rear tire carrier - which is related to the same issue. Again, this is a serious safety and liability issue that I think Toyota is obligated to address before someone is hurt or killed by this problem. Contacting Toyota does no good, as they refuse to take responsibility to fix the problem. They say this was not a recall but a warranty extension that has now run out. However, there is a severe defect present in the frame that they acknowledged and now refuse to stand behind even though it is a dangerous liability for any vehicles on the road.

- Ferdinand, IN, USA

Apr 172014

Tacoma

I took the vehicle in for routine maintenance and was alerted to the frame corrosion. I can actually push my finger through the rust and frame, holes are visible in the frame. The truck is unsafe to drive and I fear of safety for my family. I contacted Toyota and they advised me that the voluntary buyback program for fixing this was expired. I am now left with an immaculately clean car in pristine shape that cannot be driven and I am leery of even selling to someone else regardless of their knowledge of the frame. Reports of this problem are popping up all over and it needs to be dealt with as a serious matter and subject to safety recall. Lesser issues have had recalls and it has been left up to Toyota to provide voluntary buyback programs instead of being mandated for public safety.

- Madison Heights, VA, USA

Apr 022014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Following routine service inspection on 4/2/2014, significant perforation of my 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 truck frame was identified, due to conditions consistent with rusting. According to a 2012 Toyota dealership diagnostic, no indication of rust was noted during the dealership service inspection. Also, no hard copy documentation has been provided by Toyota corporation regarding an alleged voluntary recall campaign to address corrosion of frame. According to the Toyota corporation case worker assigned, he was unable to provide any hard copy documentation of said voluntary recall campaign notice regarding corrosion of truck frame; it should be noted that the case worker did say he could provide 'verbal' confirmation that notification was sent to my residence at the time. At this time, I am currently considering legal action, pending further review of case.

- Millersville, PA, USA