2001 Toyota Tacoma wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

May 012014

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While reversing at a low speed, the contact noticed that the spare tire separated from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V542000 (tires). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to perform the recall repair due to corrosion around the attachment area. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 6/25/15 the consumer stated the dealer refused to perform the recall, unless he paid $ 147 each to replaced two metal tire holders. The dealer stated the metal rods were not included in the recall. The spare tire was rusted from being in the carrier. The spare tire from the carrier and the consumer accidentally ran over it. Updated 05/10/16.

- Charleston, WV, USA

May 162012

Tacoma

Loss of spare tire assembly due to rust Toyota will not replace wheel assembly will replace the rusted tire holder but not the tire Toyota replaced the frame on a recall and did not replace the rusted spare tire holder this is negligence on the part of Toyota someone may have been killed when the spare tire came loose on the highway at 55 mph.

- Pine Brook, NJ, USA

Mar 222009

Tacoma

While driving on tx us-59 nb righthand lane going approx. 65 mph, the right rear tire failed. I managed to regain control of the vehicle and stop on the highway shoulder. What I found was a very hot tire which had remained inflated, but had lost approx. 75% of the tread circumference down to the steel belt. Approx. 25% of the tread remained with the tire, of which approx. 10% remained attached to the steel belt. The situation described allowed the tire to become a rotating metal eating machine, causing considerable damage to the vehicle wheel well, truck bed, suspension and exhaust system (3 inch stainless steel pipe bend to 90 degrees). Insurance estimates are approx. $2400. After waiting for the tire to cool, I deflated and removed the tire. I was then able to bend and move damaged sheet metal away from the wheel well area to allow clearance for my full size spare, which I installed and drove approx. 5 miles home without causing further damage to the vehicle.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Mar 222009

Tacoma

While driving on tx US59 nb righthand lane and vehicle speed approximately 65 mph, the right rear tire failed. I managed to regain control of the vehicle and stop on the shoulder. What I found was a very hot tire which had remained inflated but had lost approx. 75% of the tire tread circumference down to the steel belt. Approx. 25% of tread remained with the tire of which approx.10% remained attached to the steel belt. The situation described allowed the tire to become a rotating metal eating machine, doing considerable damage to the vehicle wheel well, truck bed, suspension and exhaust (3 inch stainless steel pipe bent to 90 degrees). After waiting for the tire to cool, I deflated and removed the tire. I was then able to bend and move some damaged sheet metal away from the wheel well to allow clearance for my full size spare, which I installed and drove approx. 5 miles home, without further damaging the vehicle.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 042002

Tacoma

One of the tires blew up on me without any warnig all over suddenly my truck was fish tailing in the middle of the highway. I was very close to cause a collective accident. I contacted the manufacturer and they reffered me to their local dealer to look at the tires but their answer was that the damage was caused by a road hazard. The problem is that the tires blew up in pieces in a matter of seconds. I installed the spare tire but the day after I notice that the tire wall has a big lump.( look like a weaker section on the side ready to explode)

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jun 062001

Tacoma

This tire was flat after 1200 miles of hiway driving. There was found to be a stone about 1 centimeter by 2 centimeter that had penetrated and torn the body of the tire. This could have cause a serious accident. The peoplr who repaired the tire stated that the tire was the thinnest they had seen. We have purchased new tires. This should no happen on a new pick-up.

- Bazine, KS, USA