2002 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tacoma:

2002 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 242016

I was informed by Toyota case worker that the rusty frame recall expired and it is my problem now. I didn't receive any frame recall notice but received a spare tire lift plate recall (which doesn't expire) due to rust and severe corrosion. I was informed by dealership my truck was unsafe to even put on the lift to address current recall, of course they let me drive it home which is a 35-40 minute drive for me. I was forced to scrap my truck with a perfectly good motor because how unsafe it was and the expense to fix it on my own. I didn't realize the severity of the problem until I crawled under my truck and was beside myself! I had huge holes in the frame, the leaf springs were shot, all this was under the "undercoating" that was done at time of purchase to protect frame from rust! I paid extra for that! even my seat mounts on the interior back seat were rusted! I suspect the quality of metal used is on the lower side... I used my truck as a truck, hauled small amounts of mulch, soul for my garden, it moved me 5X! I didn't go muddling in it, park it in a pond, or live in a flood area. I just used it... how is there an expiration date for the ongoing problem that can ultimately jeapardize a persons safety as well as others on the road?! please hold Toyota responsible...

- Centerburg, OH, USA

Feb 272015

I purchased a used 2002 Toyota Tacoma in February of 2015 only to find out the frame had serious rust issues. I found out through my own investigation that the truck had been traded in to the local Toyota dealer and they knew it had rust issues. They proceeded to sell the truck at auction knowing it could be dangerous! I bought the truck from a used car dealer. Upon being told about the frame rust issue by my mechanic, I was told by Toyota that it was no longer covered by service recall. I am now stuck with a vehicle that is unsafe and very expensive to repair.

- State Line, IN, USA

Aug 052016

My 2002 Tacoma frame is simply rusting away and Toyota refuses to get engaged to resolve what is clearly a manufacturing issue. The frame is getting to the point of collapse and unsafe to drive. This is frankly a crime. Myself and many other Tacoma owners have this exact issue and it would be great if the NHTSA steps up and prevents frame rot highway accidents due to poor manufacturing.

- Maywood, NJ, USA

Jun 152016

Independent mechanic informed me that frame had excessive rust/corrosion and to take to dealership. Called dealer service (Toyota of danville, il) and was told there was nothing they could do as they quit repairing these in March of 2016. No notice or recall was ever sent to me and I was unaware there was any problem until I got truck back from mechanic. I am now stuck with a vehicle Toyota knew to have a defective frame, did not notify me to rectify or advise of the issue, and will not effect any repairs.

- Danville, IL, USA

Jun 102016

I reported to Toyota (case #1606073163) and advised them of the rotted frame near the gas tank which was recalled. I purchased the vehicle 01/2016 and just found out about the problem when they tried to put the vehicle on the lift to replace the tires. Toyota states the recall expired and would not repair or provide the chassis rails even if I absorb the labor and had them installed. The vehicle has low mileage and value but is unsafe and I cannot sell in this condition and Toyota is indifferent saying too bad we can't help you.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Jun 102016

Frame rot from inside out. Suspension mounting to frame rotted out. Totoya refuses to deal with this and claims the safety recall is expired. How can a recall be expired. Case #1606101548. Toyota representative very rude and demeaning.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jun 092016

Excessive unsafe frame rot from inside out. Toyota safety 'recall' offer to fix 'expired'.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 052016

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. While backing out of the driveway at a very low rate of speed, the rear driver side spring shackle suddenly fractured and rendered the vehicle undrivable. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the failure was caused by severe rusting of the vehicle's frame. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,039.....updated 07/11/16

- Charleroi, PA, USA

Apr 152016

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed that the rear leaf springs were detaching from the vehicle due to corrosion. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the sub frame had corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Limestone, TN, USA

Mar 212016

Rusting frame.I brought my 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck to dealer for the corrosion resistant spraying to prevent further rusting of frame.spraying completed on 03/25/03.rust on frame continues.spraying did not work.Toyota said they only spray truck once.rust warranty extended for 15 years expiring on 10/01/16.Toyota should extend rust warranty with no expiration date as truck will have to be sprayed every two years.earlier years rust warranty covered replacing frame or vehicle buyback.Toyota should cover same warranty for later year Tacoma as rust problem persists in every year. Leaf springs and hardware are rusted as are muffler brackets leading to potentional safety hazard if items fail while driving.Toyota admitted rust proofing not done properly by subcontractor.please hold Toyota accountable for their negligence in properly protecting frames, springs.and suspension systems with corrosion resistant materials.Toyota is just buying time until warranties expire.after that time the owners will have no recourse with Toyota.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Feb 022015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame from the rear leaf spring hanger was corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- South Shore, KY, USA

Mar 092015

The chasis on the truck is rusting out.the majority of rust is near and around both rear tires. There was a recall but Toyota will not honor the recall. The vehicle only has 83000+ miles

- Windham, CT, USA

Sep 012015

The frame on this truck was recalled and now Toyota motor sales usa, Inc. Is telling me it was an old recall and the owner that own it before me didn't get it fixed so they don't have to fix it because the time limit is the second one to own this truck and didn't know they was a recall on the frame.

- Kingwood, WV, USA

Dec 022015

Is there a recall on the frame of my truck? if not they should be because right behind the the cab of my truck the frame is broke.

- Kingwood, WV, USA

Nov 092015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. An independent mechanic stated that the frame needed to be replaced on the vehicle due to holes and corrosion on each side. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 230,000. The VIN was not availiable.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Nov 022015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was undergoing inspection, the technician informed the contact that the frame was severely corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was informed of a recall for the corrosion; however, the recall expired. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Washington, PA, USA

Nov 172013

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. While undergoing a state inspection, the vehicle could not be placed on the lift because the frame was severely rusted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 1/12/2016

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Oct 222015

Hello, I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and I brought it to a local Toyota dealership where a service advisor came out to the parking lot, got under the vehicle and noticed that the frame has rusted through (he stuck his hand through the rust hole) near where the leaf springs attach to the frame. It is a known safety issue and Toyota has repaired/replaced many Tacoma's due to this safety issue. I did some research, and found out that Toyota knows their frames are unsafe, and have extended the warranty to 15 years from the date of new car delivery. I tried to get mine replaced since its still well within time-frame, but they are stating that the original owner refused a frame inspection/application anticorrosion spray so now they will not honor the unsafe frame. I have vehicle service history showing other recalls (front ball-joint) were done, and other repairs to the car, so its likely that the original dealership did not offer the application anticorrosion spray, otherwise the owner would have had this free service completed (the customer serviced it regularly and kept it in great shape) and the frame would not be unsafe. Original new car delivery date was October of 2002, meaning the 15 year frame recall safety issue is covered until October of 2016 (a year from now). I spoke with Toyota customer service and they are unwilling to do anything about this known safety issue. In any case, since Toyota knows its a safety issue, and its well within the 15 year recall frame time-frame, why should Toyota expect me to just drive around an unsafe vehicle?

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. Upon inspecting the vehicle, it was noticed that the frame was prematurely rusted to the point that the frame deteriorated with holes and could fracture. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V542000 (tires) and 05V225000 (suspension), but the contact never received recall notices. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 300,000.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 062015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the subframe was severely corroded and with holes due to corrosion, while an independent mechanic performed routine maintenance. The mechanic informed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000......updated 12/03/15

- Falmouth, MA, USA