1.7

2003 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tacoma:

2003 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 122011

Tacoma

I bought a 2003 Toyota Tacoma from a Toyota dealer in December 2011 with 81,841 miles on it. Upon driving the vehicle from Tennessee to Oregon a leak in the oil pan appeared. I looked under the vehicle and to my surprise the whole undercarriage of the vehicle was extremely rusting. The leak was from the oil pan that was corrected badly. I was able to make it from there to my home in Oregon having to add about one quart of oil. The distance was about 700 miles. I took it to my local Toyota dealer and he informed me that I had major rust problems under the vehicle. The gas tank shield is gone due to rust. The front end suspension was so rusty they couldn, T get some of the bolts out. They had to remove some of the front end suspension to replace the oil pan. Both front backing plates for the rotors where rusted away. No alignment could be done because of the rust. I had the front end replace with good used parts and when they attempted to align the vehicle the front tie rod broke due to rust. The whole frame assembly is very rusty. I find out now that there was a voluntary recall of frame which I did not know about. This vehicle was bought from a Toyota dealer in Tennessee in December of 2011. They never said a word to me about the rust problem. They did a oil change and they also replaced the emergency brake cable so they had to be aware of the rust problem. The vehicle a find out came from New York originally. They say they will help out with repair costs so far but what about the frame rust. This dealership withheld vital information from me. Toyota of America says the frame recall was voluntary and has expired. I feel this is a safety problem that needs taken care of.

- Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Sep 122010

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Tacoma. Consumer is having a number of issues with the vehicle. Front drive shaft broke due to rust, frame rusting, and transmission cooler was leaking.

- Garrison, NY, USA