2003 Toyota Tacoma fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tacoma:

2003 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Aug 152016

I was driving down the highway experience loss of power such as fuel push the throttle down a couple of times it pick back up happened to more times within 10 mi1nutes it did not throw a code been checking it may relate to a throttle body problem been reading about problems with the throttle body do not want this to happen in heavy traffic or pulling out in front of traffic please let me know what or how to take care of this problem

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Apr 062011

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated after refueling the vehicle, fuel would leak onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic three times where the fuel cap was replaced each time. The failure persisted and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Oxford, MA, USA

Dec 102013

While driving in traffic the throttle stuck at above normal idle and the check engine light came on. I was able to exit the traffic but the idle would not come back to normal curb idle. What my mechanic has told me is that the throttle body assembly has failed and they can only get the part from the dealer. If this had happened on the freeway the outcome could have not been so good. I hope Toyota is aware of this problem and going to address the situation.

- Keller, TX, USA

May 022013

Cover for gas tank totally rotted out and tank is exposed. This vehicle has recall 9355 - emergency spare tire. Not sure why this isn't also covered. Looks unsafe to me.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Apr 252013

Tacoma 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the fuel tank became detached from the vehicle. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that the fuel tank was not covered under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 73,000.

- Litchfield, NH, USA

Jan 162013

Tacoma 6-cyl

My truck was part of the frame recall and I had the frame replaced in 2010, since then I have had to pay to replace other rusted parts that were not "part of the recall". first the spare tire mount rusted off and the tire fell out from under the truck while driving. Next the entire exhaust needed to be replaced as it too had rusted out. Last year to pass inspection I needed to pay $1600 for a catalytic converter. This year I cannot pass inspection as the check engine light is on and despite 2 attempts to find the problem (and $200 later) the light remains on. The suspicion is the gas tank is rusted "at the top" and will cost me $1800 to replace. I just received a "preliminary" recall for the spare tire mount, I imagine I will receive a recall notice in a few years for the gas tank as well. Ridiculous that only some parts were recalled...and ridiculous that I have to pay to replace the others... not to mention the inconvenience.

- Brester, MA, USA

Jan 132013

The fuel tank strap broke while I was grocery shopping. I heard the tank rubbing against the drive shaft when I pulled out of my parking space. The vehicle is not drive able, and I believe this to be a serious issue.

- Conway, MA, USA