2.7

2003 Toyota Tacoma fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tacoma:

2003 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Aug 082008

Tacoma

My engine light on my 2003 Toyota Tacoma keeps coming on. I sent $1000 to replace the oxygen sensor and then the evap connector assembly. The engine light is still on. The repair shop told me they've replaced many of these on Toyota.

- Derry, NH, USA

Jul 032008

Tacoma 6-cyl

My 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 SR5 double cab 4X4 has a condition where the throttle cuts out while accelerating. This is a very dangerous situation when pulling into traffic or while driving in traffic.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Sep 042006

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

After driving for approximately 2 hours, on three separate occasions, the vehicle would intermittently lose significant power. It felt as though I had taken my foot off the throttle. After my own investigation, I learned that Toyota has a history of this problem, particularly with their 2003/2004 model Tacoma's. evidently, their accelerator pedal position sensor (part of their throttle by wire design) fails. This created a few serious safety situations for me when the throttle failed to respond when needed. After reporting this to the dealer, they inspected the vehicle and did determine the apps was at fault. Numerous accounts of this happening with other owner's is readily available via the various bulletin boards on the web. Compounding the issue, is the fact that this sensor cannot be replaced without replacing the entire throttle body assembly at a cost of $1000 or so. Toyota initially responded that they've never heard of this issue yet others have reported to them prior to me which indicates either they have a very poor process for logging issues or are trying to avoid another recall.

- Corrales, NM, USA

Jul 142005

Tacoma 4-cyl

Intermittent check engine light and rough idle - 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L auto, double cab, 55K miles check engine light came on. Took vehicle to local chain shop who diagnosed error code PO511 - idle air control valve (iacv). Toyota parts department prices this part at $226 and service manager indicated $249 for labor (not including tax). Vehicle currently has 55K miles on it and "engine" should be covered by 6 yr/60K mile powertrain warranty. Took vehicle to dealer (to have other recalls corrected) who indicated a $90 fee was required just to diagnose check engine light. Toyota customer service indicated the iacv was only covered to 3yr/36K and that I should pay dealer fee and seek "factory assistance" for any costs to repair. I contend that this type of a part - not serviceable/maintainable by the customer, should be guaranteed against failure for more than ~50K miles and repair should be covered by manufacturer.

- Austin, TX, USA