1.7

2004 Toyota Tacoma fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Tacoma:

2004 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Sep 212015

Tacoma

Driving at 35 mph, hear a dragging noise and pull to the side of the road. I looked under the car a saw that the metal straps holding the gas tank to the car had rusted thru, allowing the tank to drop down to about 3 inches above the roadway, causing the tank to drag the ground

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

Jul 302015

Tacoma

The owner found a recall on 2004 Toyota Tacoma on the internet. This recall specified that there was a manufacturing defect in the formulation of the undercoating. This manufacturing defect resulted in the rusting of the suspension, and tire plate. Upon inspection of the vehicle by a Toyota dealer, it was found that the A-frame is rusted through, the leaf springs are failing and are bowed in the opposite direction, gas tank mounts are rusted and the under body of the gas tank housing is rusting through. Toyota deemed the vehicle unsafe but refused to do anything because the recall had expired. The owner never received a notice by mail during the recall period. If the owner would have received the recall notice he would have brought the vehicle in for inspection and repair. This vehicle has low mileage and if it were not for these manufacturing defects, could be driven for another 10 years. Contact with any common road hazard such as a bump or pot hole could cause the bow springs to fail, and there is a possibility of gas tank rupture, explosion and death.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 012014

Tacoma

From a dead stop to any speed, it felt like I no acceration. I would have to feather the gas pedal to get up to speed. I've replaced fuel filter, 02 sender ( front), maf sender, fuel pressure regulator, cleaned all grounds, had fuel pump tested, had head gasket checked, changed spark plugs and wire's, cleaned throttle body and pressure cleaned fuel system. Every time I change a part or do any cleaning, the truck will run fine, for awhile, but the problem returns. I now have 150K on truck, and I want to get 150 K more. I fell this is a extremely hazards situation. All I'm looking for is a answer to what's wrong!!!! Toyota is aware of what's wrong, but the dealers only to keep replacing parts ($). the Toyota forum S on web have 1000S of answer S, but, nothing definite. Please help!!!!

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Mar 172015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

While on a short shopping trip I suddenly heard a loud rattling/buzzing noise coming from underneath the vehicle. I drove to my local car repair where they noticed while I was pulling into their driveway that the truck fuel tank was bouncing dangerously and was on the verge of falling off. Both the fuel tank holder ( a large steel plate ) and the fuel tank strap had rusted thru and were no longer supporting the tank. I shudder to think what might have happened if the tank had fallen. Adding insult to injury, this vehicle was in for a recall on 2/13/12 for repair of rust on the frame at miles 52449 ). on 6/18/13 it was in for another recall to fix rust on the rear tire carrier which was replaced ( at miles 61103 ). at neither of these recalls was I told of excess rust on the tank holder and yet with additional mileage of 8612 miles both the fuel tank strap and holder failed. This mishap could have caused a disaster.

- Croton On Hudson, NY, USA

Aug 022013

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

While driving along I would sometimes hear an unusual sound, a slight ringing sound. When I returned home and inspected my truck I saw that one of the metal straps that holds the gas tank in place had rusted apart, and the bracket would rub against the drive shaft, creating the sound. This is one of the Tacoma's that was re-framed as part of a recall. It appears the same defective metal used in the frame that was replaced was also used in other components. The gas tank could have fallen, dropped on to the road, or simply exploded, no doubt killing myself and my wife. I had the gas tank straps replaced at a local garage. I also have pictures of the broken strap if you would like to see them.

- Montoursville, PA, USA

Sep 202013

Tacoma 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, she noticed something had become detached from under the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the fuel tank protector was corroded and had caused the fuel tank to become detached. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 61,400...updated 10/30/13 the consumer stated the dealer found the vehicle had a preforation. The frame and the straps for the fuel tank were replaced. Free of charge.

- Penobscot, ME, USA

Nov 052012

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, she noticed something had become detached from under the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the fuel tank protector was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the fuel tank protector would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Jackman, ME, USA

Mar 122012

Tacoma 4-cyl

Gas tank shield corroding when notified by Toyota about corrosion problems to the frame of the truck, I inspected the under neath of the truck myself and also noticed the gas tank shield had corroded away. When I went to the dealer to have the frame checked, I told them about the problem with the gas tank shield and they told me that was not part of the recall.now a year later, I just received another recall for a different problem, " excessive corrosion of the spare tire carrier plate". if the frames and spare tire carrier plates corrode due to high road salt use in cold climate states, why are the gas tank shields corroding ? this is a very dangerous safety issue, that needs to be addressed.

- Jessup, PA, USA

Sep 052012

Tacoma 4-cyl

I brought my truck to a Toyota dealer to locate an emissions system leak. Two other mechanics had spent hours trying to diagnose the problem and were unable to find the leak. The Toyota tech found the leak in less than 20 minutes. That would lead me to believe he had dealt with this problem before. The leak turned out to be corrosion in the fuel tank, where the filler neck meets the tank. I would not expect a rusted gas tank in an 8 year old truck. The repair estimate was over $1400, the part alone was $750. This is a truck that had already been recalled for a rusted frame (which Toyota replaced at no cost to me) and is showing corrosion in the rear bumper and tailgate. I suspect Toyota saved money by building the truck with inferior materials. But more importantly, a leaking fuel tank is a huge safety issue, not common in a vehicle this recent.

- Oakham, MA, USA