2005 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Mar 032014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I took my truck to get it inspected and they said there are holes in the frame a large as my hand. It will not pass inspection and cannot be driven. I have been driving my 2 little sons around in this vehicle which has been unsafe for a long time. The holes are big enough to have started years ago as a small hole which make the truck undrivable. I have a nice looking truck that cannot be driven. The 1st generation Tacoma were recalled for this same reason. What is Toyota going to do?

- Callicoon Center, NY, USA

Feb 172014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving in reverse, he noticed the frame under the motor mount was deteriorated. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic, who diagnosed that the frame was rusted, deteriorated, and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. Updated 04/17/14

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Feb 052014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was pulling into a curb parking space when suddenly the engine on my truck accelerated. My foot was already on the brake so I pushed all the way to the floor but I was slowly moving forward anyway. My brakes were smoking from trying to stop my truck. I hit the back of a parked car and pushed it approximately two parking spaces before I thought to turn the engine off.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 012014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame is rusted and the vehicle will not pass inspection.

- New Ringgold, PA, USA

Jan 222014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. The VIN was unavailable.

- Farmingham, MA, USA

Jan 172014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma pre runner is completely rusted out due to a flaw in the manufacturing process. The recall was 3 months past the date of the end of the recall. Now my vehicle has large cracks in the frame and is no longer safe. This issue still exists in the 2005 model and must be addressed for public safety. There was a recall that covered this problem up until the end of 2004. Mine was purchased in the beginning of 2005. This is a known problem with this truck and is being ignored by Toyota. They are failing to repair this and picking and choosing if they infact want to repair some trucks and not others. Toyotas options on the fact that my truck has a manufacture defect that is unsafe to drive. Please help!!

- New Smyrna, FL, USA

Jan 142014

Tacoma 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that there was excessive rust on the frame. The contact called the manufacturer, who stated there was nothing they could do to assist. The failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 02/19/14 the consumer stated as of Feb 10, 2014, he was still waiting on the district rep to inspect the vehicle. Updated 02/24/14

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Jan 072014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Summer 2012 the cross member holding the spare tire fell off while I was driving. Now (January 2014) a large (three inch) perforation has appeared in the front frame. The truck frame is rotting out fast.

- West Cornwall, CT, USA

Dec 192013

Tacoma 6-cyl

During a repair visit to Toyota service center I was informed that my frame was rusting in several places. I was told that at the present time the vehicle was safe to drive but that the rust would continue and lead to an unsafe condition. Toyota is aware of rusting problems with previous model years. I see that the 2004 and earlier model years were recalled for rusting frames. Dealerships was also aware of an increase in frame rusting cases in 2005 Tacoma trucks as well. Truck only has 66,000 miles and was not used for heavy hauling. Repair or reinforcement is not an option. Only remedy offered by Toyota was for me to replace the frame at a cost of $13,000. I feel this is an unsafe design flaw that needs to be addressed.

- Essex, MD, USA

Dec 242013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Started hearing rubbing/grinding type noise coming from front end. Inspected and found lf cv axle leaking grease, so thought the noise was coming from there. Replaced lf cv axle, and the noise did not go away. Inspected further and found drivers side frame where the motor mount bracket is welded to cracked, causing the motor to flex and the fan to rub on the fan shroud. Contacted Toyota, who instructed me to get it inspected at a dealership. Took to Toyota dealer, who told me there was no evidence of driver abuse, no rust, not really anything that showed why the weld had broken, but that Toyota did not want to do anything due to aftermarket lift and oversized tired. Lift was already installed on vehicle when purchased at a Toyota dealership. Toyota corporate told me they did not want to help because vehicle is out of factory warranty. The steering shaft is directly under the part of the motor that is sagging down, and I am afraid if it were to break completely it might stop the vehicle from being able to turn. Also, is there now extra stress on any of the wiring" is it flexing and potentially breaking any fuel lines" I have done some reasearch on this, and found a lot of peolple having the same issues with their trucks. Toyota has started putting updated frames with more support for the motor mounts on the 2007 models, knowing there were issues with the 05/06S, but are refusing to acknowledge the problem and fix the ones that have broken.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 072014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Upon inspecting the underside of my 2005 Tacoma, I discovered holes in both sides of the inner frame behind the front wheels that had rusted right through the frame. The rust continues to spread and the holes are getting larger.

- Vernon, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the front frame was corroded. The contact also mentioned that there was a hole in the metal frame where it began to separate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the front portion of the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 98,000...updated 12-30-13 the consumer stated the rear frame was beginning to corrode. Updated 1/22/2014

- Northumberland, PA, USA

Nov 192013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Vehicle will not pass inspection due to a hole in the frame.

- Smithton, PA, USA

Nov 162013

Tacoma 6-cyl

There was no incident, but there is extensive rust on the frame of my truck. Pieces of rust regularly fall off while I'm parked in the driveway. I feel the amount of rust is excessive for the age of the car and is probably a danger.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Nov 152013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 184,000. Updated 12/20/13

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Tacoma

While driving the steering became very difficult to turn to the left or the right direction. This is caused by a faulty design of the steering shaft universal joints. The frame is also rusting very badly and I am concerned about the integrity of the vehicle.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Aug 142013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame is rotting through on the drivers side inside frame rail. The pressed C channel frame is also rotting and separating. I take very good care of my truck. People are constantly telling me. How good it looks for the year. It is ridiculous and Toyota motor company is not doing anything. The dealer has contacted corporate and they do not intend to do anything about the 2005 and up Tacoma frame rusting/rot problem.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Aug 062013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being inspected, it was found that the frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 138,000.

- Claverack, NY, USA

Jul 202013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle was involved in a slight crash. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was deemed as destroyed because the frame was completely rusted and the contact was advised that although the vehicle could be repaired, it would not pass a state inspection. The contact spoke with the manufacturer but no assistance was provided. The failure and current mileages were 54,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012013

Tacoma 6-cyl

I have a hole on the inside of box frame next to the cat. Converter on driver side. This was discovered back in January of 2013, and was immediately reported to the Toyota rep over the dealership. I've inquired about the situation 3 times since then and have just gotten the answer that its under investigation. This hole which I can almost stick my fist through looks to be located in the crumble zone, and is in a high stressed part of the frame. I know Toyota has recalled first generation trucks for frame rot, but why haven't they recalled any of the second generation trucks for the same issues. You can search the web and find that I'm not alone when it comes to frame rot on the second generation Tacoma trucks. Toyota needs to buck up and fix these issues before someone gets severely injured or killed due to the defective frames. People spend the extra money on Toyota vehicles for quality durability and longevity. I work for a Toyota production plant and I can't imagine that they are avoiding such a dangerous issue that needs to be resolved asap. I hope that the national highway transportation looks into this and forces a recall before lives are lost!

- Jasper, IN, USA