2005 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Feb 272015

Tacoma

My father has an '05 Tacoma SR5 V6 with the trd off-road package. His truck is a 6-speed manual. When pressing the gas pedal 1/2 way, the engine responds with a semi-violent jerk, and then goes. This scares me, as I couldn't even imagine my father going fully down on the pedal. This is very unsafe. Please fix this Toyota.

- Leola, PA, USA

Nov 192014

Tacoma 6-cyl

For my information I would like to know if what I was reading in the internet about my truck is real. So this is my question, I owned a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0 V6 engine that is making a knocking sound with 60,186 miles on the engine. What I found is that those engines is, that they have problems with the # 1and 2 cylinders and will create a hazardous situation on the road. I reed that is a non-public recall on those engines(vo-6) is the code for that. Please write (asap) because is difficult to enter with a conversation with any Toyota dealer about my concern. Now they said that they don't have any information about the recall. To fix my truck is going to take me to spend thousands of dollars. If the recall is true what is my right to get the Toyota Corp. To honor this issue?

- Carolina, PR, USA

Oct 252014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle was parked in the driveway. I started the vehicle and put the gear in drive to move it forward. As soon as I dropped it into drive, the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward with the throttle appearing to be wide open. I had my feet firmly on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving, the back wheels started to slip and "chirp" since the rear end is light. With the accelerator still wide open, I put the gear in neutral and watched as the RPM's shot over 4000. After a few seconds, the accelerator showed no signs of disengaging, so I turned the vehicle off and put the gear in park. This has happened before, so I am always ready in case it happens again. I must constantly drive with one hand on the gear shift, ready to push it into neutral at the first signs of this sudden unintended acceleration. This is the fifth time this has occurred in the past year. Toyota continues to claim there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, that I am accidently hitting the gas pedal myself.

- Concord, NC, USA

Sep 292014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

On my old 1998 Toyota Tacoma I got the deal on buyback when the frame rusted out so bad with holes in it.then I went out and bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and this truck has rust from end to end on the frame again. When I bought it in 2006 Toyota said they had that fixed but this 2005 is alot worse with alot more rust then the 1998.I also took it to the garage to have the power steering pump and alternator and ac pump replaced because everything was rusted up on the alternator and ac pump and power steering so bad the mechanic told me to keep the parts and show the Toyota dealership and NHTSA.I was lucky that everything shut down on the truck when I got it to the bottom of my driveway and then got it towed to the mechanic and $1790 dollars later with labor and parts let me tell you not happy with Toyota.please NHTSA look at this problem and if you need a truck to take pics of mine is the one I used to work at a body shop so I know this truck would do the job for NHTSA my truck has 78000 miles on it I will take pics of it for you if you wish.

- Aaronsburg, PA, USA

Jun 052013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

In June 2013 I was approaching an interstate entrance ramp. As I slowed down (foot on the brake) to make the right turn onto the ramp, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, causing the rear end to "fish tail" around, jumping the curb on the right side of the ramp and sending the vehicle down the embankment. I was able to get the vehicle to stop before hitting the fence at the bottom of the hill. Since this first incident in June 2013, the vehicle has had three more incidents in June, July and August of 2014. The last incident in August occurred as I was pulling into a parking spot. Again, I was slowing down (foot on the brake) when the vehicle suddenly accelerated causing me to strike the parked vehicle in front of me. The incidents in June and July 2014 were also similar parking lot incidents with no other vehicles around. After the August 2014 incident, I started to "connect the dots" and took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership. However, they found no problem with the vehicle. I find this very strange given all of the known issues Toyota has had with sudden unintended acceleration (sua).

- Concord, NC, USA

May 302014

Tacoma 6-cyl

After repair of 2 recalls-spiral cable and seat belt, a whining noise started after starting the engine. The whine gets louder as during acceleration. The whine was not there before the repair of the two recalls.

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Jun 052014

Tacoma 4-cyl

The following is the dealer inspection report for my truck: "found extreme corrosion to frame. Tow hook and driver side sway bar mount unable to re-attach due to frame perforation front cross member missing (rusted off) found hole in left side of frame. Steering rack mounts extremely perforated, ready to detach. Do not recommend driving vehicle due to extreme damage to frame" truck purchased new, single owner, well maintained....updated 06/10/14

- Volcano, HI, USA

May 272013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle exhibited a loud grinding noise. Upon inspection, the frame that held the engine was found to be cracked. The contact was concerned that the engine could fall out from the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 082013

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the Toyota dealer as I was right up the street from them. They scanned for the service code and it told them there was a mis-fire in the #6 cylinder. They checked the spark plug coil and said it was faulty and replaced it. When I picked up the truck from the dealer the check engine was still on. They took it back into the service bay and after 20 minutes called me over to tell me there was coolant leaking into the #6 cylinder and was determined that the engine block was cracked. This truck has never over-heated and they could not explain it. After checking the internet for others with the same problem, I found there were a few others and the mechanic told me that he has seen it before in this engine block. I can't afford a new truck, so I am stuck with paying for not only the coil replacement but also the new or refurbished engine block ($5,000+). it would be great if the NHTSA could look into the integrity and engineering of the engine block in the 2005 4.0L V6 engine in the Toyota Tacoma.

- Camarillo, CA, USA