2006 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 202016

Tacoma

Toyota settlement on frames: Frame rusted out underneath, there is a class action law suit that just got settled with Toyota, see below. Problem when I go to a Toyota dealer to have it fixed they say its to late but the settlement clearly lists my year and make truck. news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/11/Toyota-settles-pickup-frame-rust-lawsuit-for-34-billion.html settlement from Toyota

- Crownsville, MD, USA

Sep 292016

Tacoma

Vehicle was subject to a limited service campaign for frame corrosion that expired March 2016. I was unaware of this campaign and when I took my vehicle in for service at the dealership, I was informed that my vehicle would have been covered by the campaign and that the current state of the frame is questionable to pass Virginia state inspection next year. I have filed a BBB complaint and the response from Toyota was that they are compliant with all regulations and that no accommodation or extension of the lsc will be considered. I am the original owner who now has a vehicle that could potentially fail due to an acknowledged defect by the manufacturer.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Oct 022016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle frame experienced severe corrosion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not provided.

- Rose Hill, MS, USA

Sep 012016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was stationary, the contact noticed that the frame was rusted severely. The vehicle was taken to be repaired per a recall in which the frame was spraycoated, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN and NHTSA campaign number were unavailable.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 312016

Tacoma

My Tacoma truck was brought to dealer in 2014, per recall instructions, for frame corrosion issue, the dealer elected to spray the frame. In early part of 2016 I brought truck in for leaf spring recall. The dealer found a hole in the frame, sent pictures to Toyota requesting authorization to repair frame before replacing leaf springs, Toyota denied frame repair request. Because of the issue with frame the dealer would not replace leaf springs. I contacted Toyota and was told that it is Toyota's policy that they would not replace the leaf springs on an unsafe vehicle. When I stated that the vehicle was unsafe because the frame issue was not corrected in 2014 I was told that the frame recall was over and there was no recourse. So now I have an unsafe vehicle because the frame recall was not properly addressed in 2014 and Toyota would not approve replacement of leaf springs IN2016.

- New Providence, NJ, USA

Oct 172016

Tacoma

I am the original owner of this 06 Tacoma, 140 thousand miles. In April I was informed by my mechanic that the frame appeared to have extensive rust. He checked for a recall and found that it had ended the previous month. I did some research and found that Toyota had a recall (that I was never informed of) and had replaced thousands of frames. After more research I found that this has been an ongoing issue since the 1990's. I recently took the truck to Toyota of turnersville NJ for other warranty work and asked if they would check the frame. The note they left on the receipt stated "extensive rusting of both front frame rails. Do not recommend long trips of heavy loads!! " this truck is used to travel from NJ to va. Usually with my grandchildren sometimes twice a month. The service rep. Answer to the problem was that maybe I could find someone to weld some steel to the frame "?"...I just hope that my issue (and I am sure there thousands of others) can be resolved brfore someone has to die on the highway as is typical.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Oct 162016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving in reverse at 5 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise. The contact checked the vehicle and discovered that the frame was damaged. The contact stated that the manufacturer was notified of the issue and stated that the warranty to repair the frame had expired. There were no recalls for the frame failure. The failure mileage was 185,000.

- Hooick Falls, NY, USA

Jan 072016

Tacoma 4-cyl

Received recall on frame rust went to dealer to have inspected it failed inspection dealer said that they would replace frame but would have to wait 6 months for new frame to arrive. It has been 7 months and frame has not yet arrived. How long should I have to wait on new frame. Driving with a failed frame is not safe.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the chassis and frame had premature rust and corrosion. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer refused to provide a manufacturer's service campaign for the frame. The vehicle was included, but the contact was informed that the statute had expired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the statute for the manufacturer's service campaign had expired. The contact was uncertain when the vehicle would be repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Feb 252016

Tacoma

The frame of my Tacoma 2006 is heavily rusted and perforated. Muller Toyota, clinton, New Jersey has jerked me around for the last seven months, failing to honor the safety recall.

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 312016

Tacoma

01/22/15 Toyota dealer applied corrosion-resistant compound (crc), to frame of 2006 Tacoma (mileage 113835), a recall service. March 2016, I discovered crc peeling/flaking off many places on the frame. It appeared crc had been applied over rust. 4/12/16 we asked dealer to inspect crc during upcoming recall service for leaf spring assemblies. These were replaced 06/23/16 (mileage 138878). Invoice reads, ┐please note: Crc on frame is peeling off┐. dealer advised calling Toyota customer experience center. 06/24/16 Toyota created case complaint #1606240431. They notified us 6/27/16 that the crc campaign had ended and there was no remedy. 08/01/16, proprietor of a local garage, in business since 1955, evaluated. He was aware of the recall, had worked on other recalled trucks and said this was the worst he had seen. He thought crc had been applied to cover up rust. He recommended sand blasting and re-applying rust protectant soon before rust causes a serious safety issue. 08/11/16, owner of a body shop evaluated and said it would be difficult if not impossible to remove the rust. He was surprised the dealer had not replaced the frame, since he was aware of many frames being replaced by another dealer 40 miles away. Both professionals noted bubbling &/or buckling frame metal due to rust and said this will eventually become a very serious safety issue. 8/31/16, I contacted Toyota customer experience center to share professional opinions. The supervisor said Toyota would do nothing and would assume no liability for property damage, injury or death if the rusted frame breaks and causes an accident. I said this was unacceptable and repeatedly asked to speak with her manager. She said she did not have a manager and she terminated my call. Toyota's failed remedy leaves us with the initial recall problem and safety concern.

- Fishersville, VA, USA

Sep 042016

Tacoma

This is what I wrote to Toyota "hello there, I already called Toyota customer care number and even got a case number for my problem and the answer I got was we can not help you with your problem because there is no warranty after the recall period is over. I will start from the beginning. My truck is 2006 Toyota Tacoma. I got a letter in mail about the recall for the frame and it stated that if my truck has excessive rust or a hole in it they will replace the frame, if not they will coat the frame to slow down the rust on the frame. I took to my dealer, they inspected it and found no holes in my frame. They will apply the coating and sent me on my marry way. This was back in 1/20/2015. Now fast forward to 9/6/2016 and now I have a big hole in my frame and a lot more rust then before. I don't take to beach. I take very good care of the truck but it's that defective frame that is on the truck. I know 95-00 Tacoma's did a buy back program a few years ago. The 2001-2004 if the frame got coated you gave the a 15 year warranty on the frame. 2005-2008 Tacoma's in Canada got the same 15 year warranty if the frame got coated. So why not 2005-2008 Tacoma"S in the usa don't have that warranty? my point is you kinda need to work with me and others with this problem. This will be an safety issue at some point. The safety of myself, my family and other drivers. Please help me out now before it's too late. "

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Sep 102016

Tacoma

I too am a victim of the defective Toyota Tacoma frame. The frame of my vehicle rusted through to the point of breaking, rendering my vehicle completely unsafe to drive. The vehicle only has 78,000 miles, and is now utterly worthless. I was driving the vehicle at highway speeds when I felt the frame give way, immediately changing the entire dynamic of performance. I was able to get the vehicle to my home when I discovered the frame had rusted through completely, dropping the vehicle between the cab and the bed. Only luck and my own driving experience kept me from crashing when the defective frame failed. I contacted Toyota, thinking that this issue would be handled because of the obvious manufacturer defect in the frame of the vehicle. I was wrong about this, and was met with complete disregard and a smug assurance that Toyota would never make any amends for this defective product. I was told that a notice was mailed to the previous owner of the vehicle, and that this met their obligation and that nothing further would be done concerning the matter. To say that the american consumer has been taken advantage of in this situation is a gross understatement. From the number of complaints concerning this exact situation, it is clear that there is a systemic defect in the frame used by Toyota in these vehicles. The manufacturer knows this, but instead of making efforts to correct the problem, they are expending their resources to defend not addressing the issue. Just because the company set an arbitrary date when they would no longer address the issue does not make the issue go away. They knowingly installed defective components in these vehicles and are now engaged in a deceptive and manipulative campaign to shirk their responsibility to the american consumer. I implore the nhsta to be the voice of the individual in this matter, as alone, we have no recourse.

- Princeton, WV, USA

Aug 152016

Tacoma

Frame corrosion. The frame on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma truck is very rusty. The metal is just flaking off. I took it to the car wash and while washing underneath parts of the metal just flaked off in large pieces. I called the dealer and was told they couldn't help me and gave me a customer service number for Toyota corporation. I called that number and was told a limited service campaign for corrosion problems on my truck ended on March 31, 2016. They could not assist me with my problem because it wasn't a safety recall. What will it take for this problem to become a safety issue. The frames on these trucks are defective. They are fracturing and rendering these trucks useless. Many of us cannot afford to replace the frames and if we sell this problem is so well known we can't get a fair price for vehicles. My truck has 100600 miles on it. I've taken care of the truck but it doesn't matter. The frame rusted anyway. Please help those of us that have these vehicles. Toyota should recognize that this is a safety issue just like it was before. The only difference is that Toyota learned how to avoid responsibility for these defective frames.

- Marion, VA, USA

Sep 012016

Tacoma

The frame of my truck is dangerously rusted, and Toyota refuses to honor its own recall commitment to replace the frame because of an arbitrary deadline for inspection. The date is irrelevant to the basic problem -- their frame is defective, I and my passengers are at risk, and repair is urgently needed. Nhsta should challenge auto makers, especially Toyota, on the policy of time-limited recalls.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Aug 182008

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. While the bumper was being replaced, the technician noticed that the frame was corroded and rusted out. The technician stated there was a recall that was expired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the recall expired and did not offer assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The recall details were unknown. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Aug 012016

Tacoma

I recently discovered that the frame of of this truck, only 10 years old, had severely rusted to the point where it is no longer safe to drive. Toyota has informed me that there had been a limited service period for this problem but it had expired. I was unaware of this and do not believe I was notified. I believe this to be a severe safety issue which many like me may not be aware of. If the frame were to fail while travelling at highway speeds it is quite possible people could be severely injured.

- Newry, ME, USA

Aug 052016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. A year after the vehicle was repaired per an unknown recall, the subframe was rusted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 10/06/16

- Ticonderoga, NY, USA

May 132016

Tacoma

I was unaware of any issue with rust problems in the frame when I bought the truck used in March 2014, nor did I ever receive any letters from Toyota regarding problems with rusting frames. During a regular maintenance tune-up at a Toyota dealer 05/13/2016 (160,000 miles), they reported to me 2 holes in the frame resulting from rust and that the vehicle will not pass inspection. They also reported that the manufacture had extended some kind of ┐recall┐ to deal with the problem had expired March 31, 2016 and there was nothing the dealership could do. The dealer gave me a referral to a specialist that specialize in repairing rusted frames. Went to another mechanic to see if it was worth the expense to invest in the truck, they then brought it to the local Toyota dealership, which reported that the truck had the Toyota's attempt fix undercoating done and that nothing else would be done by the manufacture. Called the Toyota corporation customer service and reported the problem. They called back to say nothing would be done.

- Portsmouth, RI, USA

Jan 062016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received a letter from Toyota pertaining to the vehicle's frame, but it did not have a NHTSA campaign number associated with the issue. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the frame was re-coated; however, the remedy failed and rust appeared. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000. Updated 09/28/16

- Newport, KY, USA