2.2

2006 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 112014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I discovered that the frame on my Toyota truck is excessively rusted. It is actually quite unbelievable when you compare the frame to everything else on the underside of the truck. Every other component on the underside is in pristine condition but there is hardly an area of the frame that is not rusted. There are some areas that have the classic "potato chip" scaling that has eaten through about 1/2 the original thickness of the metal. The rust appears on both flat surfaces and welds. A quick internet search revealed there seems to be hundreds of others with similar complaints---many are even newer, low mileage sunbelt trucks. I guess it's obvious Toyota never addressed the root cause of their frame issues that prompted the previous recall on the 95-04 models. I surmise that root cause is using cheap, inferior, recycled metal to save money. Btw, my previous truck was a 1990 Toyota that I drove until the body fell off in 2009. After 19 years (that's 19 Pennsylvania winters), that frame was spotless with most of the original paint still remaining. In every other respect, I love this truck. However, this frame rust issue is a continuing Toyota safety problem --- not to mention the financial aspect as my truck will be dead long before it's time. Thank you for your time any aid you can lend to this matter.

- South Williamsport, PA, USA

Feb 152014

Tacoma

On 2/15/2014 I changed the tires on my truck and noticed that the frame is experiencing severe rust nearly everywhere. I took the truck to the local dealership for routine maintenance based on the mileage. At that time I explained to the service department representative at the dealership my concern regarding the amount of rust to the frame and might this become a safety problem leading to a failure. The dealership service department representative told that there is no problem with the frame and the frames will rust but will fine and there is nothing to worry about.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Feb 182014

Tacoma

My 2006 Toyota Tacoma has 42,200 miles on it and the frame rotting by the day, due to rust. My truck cannot be driven. The bed creaks and shakes and is very unstable. The brackets holding the leaf springs are nearly disintegrated, deeming my vehicle stranded. Toyota will not do anything about it. When I purchased my vehicle from Toyota in 2007, I paid for undercoating to protect from rust. Upon research, many 2006 Tacoma owners that are dealing the same rusting scenario. Recently Toyota issued a recall on Tacoma frames from trucks 1995 - 2004, clearly something is wrong but didn't get resolved with newer models.I have photos of the brackets & frame, which are atrocious. Local mechanics and body shops alike have said they haven't seen anything like this on such a new(ish) truck. Lem, the Toyota representative told me the rust is due to a chemical compound effecting the frame and it's out of their hands. "warranty reviewed photos and determined that it''s surface rust and not perforation corrosion. Rust on surface is eating it''s way throughout all metal parts of the vehicle." Does chemical compound mean rain water? rain water drips from the back of the bed, through the body onto the brackets. This is the epicenter of the rust problem. Earlier in 2012 I had an issue with this same rust, which ate away my bumper. Toyota said this wasn't unusual and they wouldn't help me. Warranty would not cover it. I complained locally, and wrote a letter to corporate - no response. On 10/9/12 I paid $600.18 for a new bumper - Toyota installed. They didn't not address the frame rust at that time.now, 16 months I have a truck that is stuck in my driveway - with rust stains all over the concrete. If I drive somewhere, rather than tow the truck to get fixed, an accident seems imminent. I would like my frame to be replaced or bought back by Toyota immediately. Thank you.

- Hanalei, HI, USA

Jan 302014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I went to local Toyota service and dealer for oil change and tire rotation.once the technician raised truck he inspected frame and found rust and cracks and 2 wholes, 1 on left side frame on inside and 1 on right side inside frame adjacent to front passenger door with a 6in crack running from whole. Service manager then called me to bay as soon as tech told him and showed me the rust and crack and wholes he then advised me to call the Toyota customer service office 1-800 331-4331 I called and spoke to a rep who then went on to tell me because my truck does not fit the criteria for recall. Only Tacoma's from 1999-2000 and 2001-2004 are involved recall which if not all or most had the same problem as mine according to blogs.she said that leaves my vehicle out because its a 2006 and to add salt to these wounds my truck is up for safety inspection in March 2014 which is 2 months away and the service manager at local Toyota stated it will not pass safety.I am either forced to repair a problem out of my pocket which is an obvious manufacture issue or purchase a new or used vehicle in order to travel to work.

- Westtown, NY, USA

Dec 102012

Tacoma

Severe frame rust caused vehicle to fail inspection. Had hole repaired by certified welder, to allow it to pass inspection. He noted a number of other spots which will go bad in next 1-3 years.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Dec 122013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Took my Toyota Tacoma in to have snow tires put on the vehicle, the tech. Said the frame had rust holes in it and was unsafe to drive. Rust was flaking off all over the frame, this vehicle is only 7 yrs. Old they are sending a inspector to see if Toyota will pay for a new frame. I have a Ford 450 2002 and it's frame is in much better shape.

- Orleans, MA, USA

Nov 042013

Tacoma 4-cyl

At annual inspection mechanic noted rust holes in the frame and corrosion in connections of plates to frame. This is of course a safety hazard that prevents the vehicle from passing inspection. Dealer inspected and confirmed the corrosion. We purchased the truck new. We live on a dirt road with no salt use, keep the truck garaged in winter, and do not drive it regularly in winter. It is otherwise a sound and trouble-free vehicle.

- Canaan, NH, USA

Nov 042013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma has a rust hole by the trans cross member. The frame is also rusted very badly. I drive 150 miles a day round trip to work and also my family in this vehicle.

- Milford, PA, USA

Oct 292013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame on my 2006 Tacoma is showing moderate rust after 78,000 miles. I don't live in a cold weather state. I've probably only driven it on salted roads for a couple of weeks in maybe 2 of the winters I've owned it. The rust is worst above where the rear leaf springs are, but basically the entire frame shows sign of rusting. The Tacoma is terrible compared to the Ford F-250 that we've had for the same amount of time with more than 40,000 extra miles. The Ford barely has any rust at all. I'm worried that within 2 years that my frame will have holes in it, and the truck will not be safe to drive.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 272013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The truck was taken to a service garage for the required annual state of Maine safety inspection. The results disclosed severe rusting of the frame, engine mounts, and cab mounts. Because there were no perforations in the frame, the vehicle passed inspection. The mechanic advised that the truck is in imminent need of frame replacement.

- Sullivan, ME, USA

Oct 112012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to a mechanic to have routine maintenance performed when the mechanic stated that the chassis was corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for further inspection but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but was unable to provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 11/26/13

- Orange , CT, USA

Aug 162013

Tacoma 6-cyl

While changing the oil on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma, I notices significant rust on the frame of my truck. I scraped at some and chunks fell off revealing a weakened frame. My spare has not been able to hold air and upon inspection the entire metal area that holds the tire in place is rusted. The mileage is under 90K I would like to have this documented as I have been reading other complaints from 2006 Tacoma owners they are experiencing the same problem as myself. This car is as a family vehicle as utilize it in camping, canoeing and other outdoor activities. Thank you

- Chester, NY, USA

May 012013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The underside of my truck has so much rust that the spare wheel and tire will not hold air. I notified Toyota customer service and was told they couldn't do any thing about it because the warranty had expired. I expect the tire and wheel to fall out and cause an accident at any time.

- Damascus, VA, USA

May 182013

Tacoma

On 5/18/13, while preparing to service this truck, I found that the front frame crossmember had severe rust damage. On further inspection, I saw that the mount for the lower control arm on the frame had completely disintegrated; there was very little metal left to hold the control arm in place. This was on the left side of the vehicle. I checked the same mount on the right side and found that it too had rust perforation, though not as bad as the other side. I also found that the frame rail itself had rusted completely through on the left side. I decided to park the truck. After talking with two local mechanics, who both agreed that this truck was definitely not safe to drive, I contacted Toyota corporate in California. I was told by three different Toyota representatives that this truck was not covered by any recall, and that my only option was to have it repaired at my expense. I am well aware that Toyota has had severe frame rust issues, and I strongly feel that they should extend their recall to include other model years. I am currently left stranded with a mechanically sound seven year old truck which I cannot drive!

- Washington, CT, USA

Oct 302012

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame of my 2006 Tacoma is rusting severely, especially the welds that hold the frame together. I took my truck to the Toyota dealership and they told me there is nothing wrong with 'surface rust' and it's 'normal', even though it is obvious that the problem is a galvanic reaction and will eventually cause structural failure. The two previous generation Tacoma's had the same problems. There are hundreds of people that I have found across North America with the same problem. Toyota obviously understands what the problem is but refuses to acknowledge it. I have taken action to protect the frame but Toyota refuses to assume any responsibility for an obvious defective manufacturing process.

- Belchertown, MA, USA

Dec 072012

Tacoma 6-cyl

Frame has rusted through. Truck will no longer pass pa state inspection. Had welding done to repair but there are numerous other areas on frame with severe rust. Would like to see this addressed by Toyota before it causes a crash.

- East Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 032012

Tacoma 6-cyl

I took my 2006 Tacoma in for my yearly Pennsylvania inspection only to find out that two separate places wont pass it because the frame is rusted out. Toyota knows about the problem and has covered previous years.I called Toyota only to be told it was my problem and they wont fix it since its not in the covered years. All they gave me was a reference # (1212040621) and the address for their legal dept so I could refer a lawyer to there. Why would I want to get a lawyer when they know about the problem in previous years? its the defective product, not my fault. So im left with a $30,000 truck sitting in my driveway that I cant use!

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Oct 042012

Tacoma 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Tacoma has outrageous rust to frame. I have read the previous complaints about this subject by other people and it's more of pretty much same problem. I just can't believe that there isn't an investigation into this by the government. This kind of rust is not normal by any standard. I have seen many makes and models of pick up trucks five years older than this one with little or no rust to their frames. I'm sure that there is a test to determine what quality steel they used on Tacoma frame. Is it china recycled steel? (nothing else would rust so quick and so bad.) it's hard for me to imagine that automaker of this size would put 2 tons of weight on frames so defective, to save few dollars. Frame is the most important component of the vehicle, everything rides on it including persons life. For Toyota to say that you need holes in the frame before they may or may not do something about it is greedy. They should have used the right kind of material in the first place. For over $30,000 for their pick up truck most people would expect the frame to be made out of steel not mud; because that's what it looks like. After all $30,000 is no pocket change for most people. I am sure they would not be saying that if it was their family member driving their Tacoma on the highway at 65 mph. I could go on about this, but what's the point? the government should protect it's citizens from cheaters like Toyota, not let them get away because they have billions. Average citizen does not stand a chance against corporation of that size. "to the person or persons at Toyota I can only hope that you have a peaceful death when the time comes, and you should be able to take all the profits with you. You must have worked really hard on this scam. You know what materials you use for your product." If this offends anyone I apologize in advance, this is how I feel about this ordeal.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

May 012010

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The frame on my 2006 Tacoma is totally rusted! the finish on my wheels is peeling off as well!!!! total crap!!

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Jun 182012

Tacoma 4-cyl

This complaint is presently filed under "suspension", but should be filed under "structure: Frame and members". the following is what is printed under the "suspension" file: Despite washing, scraping/wire brushing, spot priming and painting the truck frame once per year, the frame from just in front of the axle, all the way forward, both sides, is severely corroded. The front cross piece is totally disintegrated. The "incident" is that the corrosion is so bad that the front stabilizer bar mount, driver's side, has torn away from the frame. Further inspection shows that the frame in the engine compartment area needs total replacement/extensive repair. This appears to be the same frame corrosion problem supposedly addressed by Toyota in the 1990 to 2004 vehicles. But Toyota is not issuing recalls or "customer programs" for 2005 Tacoma's and newer. Since the box-sectioned frame rusts from the inside out, the severity of the problem is not apparent until it is too late - when a catastrophic frame failure can happen - as with the failure of my stabilizer bar. Toyota needs to address this frame issue immediately. Can you imagine if an axle mount or engine mount failed on the highway? this vehicle is only 6 years old, this is insane!

- Christiansted, VI, USA