2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Oct 312013

Tacoma

Whiled I was driving I went over a bump in the road. The fan on my truck started making a loud noise. I took the vehicle to a repair shop to be checked. This I when I found out that the frame on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma was cracked and caving in where the motor mounts attach to the frame. This caused the motor to drop down and the fan started hitting on the shroud. Also it pierced a hole in my upper oil pan when the motor dropped down and hit the rack and pinion. Upon research there are many many cases of this happening to the 2005 -2006 Tacoma trucks. This is clearly a safety issue that Toyota refuses to fix.

- Panaca, NV, USA

Jan 292015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart after several attempts. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that rust from the frame corroded the neutral safety switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Montague, NJ, USA

Jun 202014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The vehicle frame is very corroded in numerous spots, especially in weld areas and behind the front wheels. Some fasteners also appear to be abnormally corroded. The engine accessory pulleys are also in very poor condition. The corrosion is odd in that it is not consistent. I mean that some components and fasteners show minor corrosion while others are excessive. The vehicle frame is also very corroded in isolated areas and not uniform. Odd.

- Butler, PA, USA

Mar 262012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning causing the vehicle to crash into a hill. A police report was filed and there were injuries reported that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Feb 062014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was slowly entering a parking space. I pressed the brake pedal and the engine speed increased to maximum RPM. I jammed the emergency brake and threw the transmission into "park." A great cloud of blue smoke issued forth from the spinning tires. This never happened before and it's definitely a problem with the truck and not my foot! several years ago, as a pedestrian, I saw the exact same thing happen to a Jeep Cherokee at a stop sign.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 112013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Noticed a loud rubbing noise from the radiator fan hitting the shroud in reverse. Opened the hood to observe that entire engine was leaning to the drivers side. Noticed from under vehicle that the drivers side motor mount was collapsed into the frame by approximately 3/4 of an inch. Further observation indicated that the mount appeared to break at the weld and then tear the frame in front and behind of the welds for the motor mount. Looked on-line for similar occurrences and discovered that many owners of this vehicle have the same problem without any resolution from the manufacturer (Toyota). Others on similar sites observed that between the 2006 model year (mine) and 2007 model years Toyota added a reinforcement to the motor mount indicating that they knew of a problem but were not willing to alert owners to the problem. I have pictures of my broken frame and a 2007 and later model frame to show where the engine mounts were reinforced.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 262013

Tacoma

The technician notified me of a timing cover oil leak. The cost to repair was quoted as $2,763. This leak has been identified as a common problem on 2006 Tacoma and discussed on several auto forums. Toyota should initiate a recall to fix this high dollar, manufacturer error.

- Santa Fe , NM, USA

Mar 042013

Tacoma 6-cyl

As I was rolling down hill and applying the brakes, the truck suddenly accelerated. As I pressed the brakes harder the anti-lock brakes activated and the truck continued to move forward for a short distance, almost into on coming traffic, while the engine could be heard loud as if the gas peddle was being pushed although the brakes were being applied only. Scary! uncontrollable forward movement and acceleration while braking.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 112011

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Sep 282012

Tacoma 6-cyl

For at least 2 mos previous I would hear a chirping noise from the engine compartment. It would get louder as you accelerated & seamed more noticeable in warmer weather. Took vehicle in to dhc torrance Toyota & said it was my idler bearings. I thought that was odd since the truck only has 37400 miles. It cost me over $800.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Apr 242012

Tacoma

Around the end of April my Tacoma started making a horrible noise whenever I backed up. After some searching around I found my fan was rubbing on its cover. Next I looked into why on some forums, so after some research I discovered its do too a broken motor mount. I got under my truck and true to behold my motor mount had collapsed into the frame. This is a well known issue with 05-06 Tacoma's yet Toyota wont do anything. They say im 100,000 miles out of warranty. To make it worse Toyota is well aware of the matter because all 07 and newer Tacoma's have extra support plate welded on the frame to prevent collapse.

- Monument, CO, USA