2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Sep 122007

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Approximately September 12, 2007, I was approaching a stoplight and applied the brake of my 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The vehicle began revving out of control and started moving forward. I stepped harder on the brake pedal as the vehicle began to inch forward - I had all my weight on the brake pedal. Knowing the truck was going to move, I turned the wheel to the right to avoid the stopped cars in front of me; however the truck clipped the passenger-side rear bumper of the car in front of me, pushing it into the car in front of it. The truck then shot off the road into the grassy area next to an interstate on-ramp, where I was able to push the shift into park - which is what made the truck stop and then it died. No injuries were incurred; however, the sudden acceleration could have sent me into interstate traffic. Though stopped at a light, I received a ticket for "following too closely" and our insurance paid out damages to two other vehicles. I have damage to my front bumper that has not yet been fixed. At that time, I had the 2006 Toyota Tacoma towed to old mill Toyota to assess what had occurred; they stated they could find nothing wrong with the truck.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 142008

Tacoma

My family and I were driving in our 2006 Toyota Tacoma. We came up to a stop light and we began to slow down to approx 15 miles per hour the truck would not stop and began to accelerate on its own. I tried to stop it but could not control the vehicle and as a result we wrecked into a truck that was in front of us. If is was not for that truck we would have gone into the intersection on a red light. The day after the crash we took the truck to our local Toyota dealership and what do you know they can't find anything wrong. I have refused to drive this unsafe vehicle and by reading all of the other complaints that are just like mine I think that Toyota needs to find out what's going on before they have a huge lawsuit on there hands. I printed out all of the complaints that were just like mine and took them to the manager in the service department and as of today we are waiting on further test to be done. As I said before I will not drive this unsafe vehicle! as soon as we get it back we will be looking for something else to drive.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jan 052008

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Tacoma. 2006 and 2007 Toyota Tacoma with sudden acceleration. Consumer is asking that a formal investigation be issued for this problem on these vehicles. The consumer stated he experienced sudden acceleration with his vehicle. See also 10214130

- Helena, MT, USA

Jan 052008

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced two spontaneous and uncontrolled accelerations within about two hours. The first was on the highway. I turned into a pullout to allow a faster car to pass on a snow-slicked road. While turning back toward the highway at slow speed, about 5 mph, tapping on my brake pedal, the car suddenly accelerated and I was forced to stand on the brakes to keep it from running away. Because of the anti-skid brakes engaging, the car still made it 3-4 feet into the traffic lane before I was able to stop. The second incident occurred about an hour later when I arrived home. I was backing the truck down a curved, gravel driveway toward a tuck-under garage. The total distance to be traveled was about 30 feet. Easing down in the turn, I had traveled about 20 feet with my foot on the brake (idling power was all that was needed to back down at 1-2 mph; no gas was applied). The vehicle suddenly lurched backwards. Again, I had to stand on the brakes while the engine revved and the rear tires spun and threw gravel, digging 3-4 inches deep into the gravel surface, before I was able to turn off the engine. The following Monday, I took the truck to my Toyota dealer. They were unable to find any defect or recreate the problem, but said they were opening a case file with Toyota on the incidents and hoped to gain more information from the manufacturer. See also 10216086 consumer sent a letter with new information. Updated 7/2/08. Updated 07/02/08

- Helena, MT, USA

Dec 202007

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerates (surges) on its own and braking does not remedy the problem. This has happened several times when the cruise control is not being used. It also is not attributed to the floor mats as we have carefully checked the positioning of our mats.

- Meadow Vista, CA, USA

Dec 062007

Tacoma 6-cyl

Several problems with lurching, sudden acceleration, and high idle. When stopped with foot squarely on the brake (and only the brake), there will be a sudden lurch that is often strong enough to overcome the brake, nearly causing several accidents with the car in front of me. Always seem to be pressing the brake hard to stop motion and stay stopped. When I let off the brake, the truck accelerates about 100 RPM before even touching the accelerator pedal, and begins moving significantly. When decelerating to a stop, have had several instances of sudden RPM and acceleration. This also occurs when gently pulling into my garage - the engine suddenly lurches, and has nearly caused me to damage my garage. Have had several instances where braking to stop, but the engine lurches greatly (several hundred RPM), I almost can't get the truck to stop, and has nearly caused several accidents. I have been fortunate so far, but afraid it won't last. All of this is worsened when the ac/compressor is running - the idle RPM increases about 300 RPM (way more than necessary), and also contributes to worsening the lurch. Sometimes it seems that the lurching occurs while down-shifting during deceleration. These problems happen to me regularly - and always occur when running the ac/compressor. Please address asap. Thanks.

- Fishers, IN, USA

May 012007

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Experiencing a "lurching" problem when applying the brakes, and coming to a stop. At times, the lurch occurs while the vehicle is stopped. Sometimes the experience is sudden and forceful enough that it almost feels like another car has bumped into me. This compels me to keep my foot on the brake forcefully, more so than is normally necessary in other vehicles. This is a safety concern, as without adequate brake pressure the vehicle moves forward.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Aug 222007

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably to 95 mph. The dealer stated that a Toyota engineer needed to repair the vehicle, however, one would not be available until September 24, 2007. The dealer informed the contact that he could drive the vehicle in the interim. The VIN and engine size were unknown. The current and failure mileages were 17,000.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 172007

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 2 mph the vehicle accelerated without warning, which caused the vehicle to crash into a building. The road conditions were clear. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer stated that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure and current mileage was 5,500.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Apr 032007

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

While slowing down for a red light or stop sign going less than 10 mph the vehicle lunges or lurches forward. This also happens while completely stopped. This pretty much happens on a regualr basis.

- Savannah, MO, USA

Mar 132007

Tacoma

2006 Toyota Tacoma lurching forward at a stop light. This has happened quite a bit. Very strange for a new truck.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Mar 102007

Tacoma

We have had two incidents with our 2006 Toyota Tacoma truck; I. my wife, was driving route 40 when after red lights the engine suddenly started speeding up w/O any warning or alarm. Having her foot off the accelerator pedal didn't have any impact. She had to brake as much she could to control the car. She was able to pull to pull off but still couldn't control the engine. The engine didn't even shut down when turning the key. Changing the selector lever to neutral was impossible as the engine took full RPM. Somehow after some "trial and horror" she was able to shut and restart the engine and eventually the car was back in control. The situation had been really scary. I wasn't there so I could not fully appreciate what had happened when she described the situation. II. my wife didn't dare to use the car before I came back from a business trip. Yesterday - Saturday 3/10 - I was driving the truck the first time after the previous incident. There was a slow down in the traffic when suddenly the engine did the same as above. I was on a middle lane and couldn't do anything but brake as hard as I could. Having hazard lights on and slowing the speed carefully I was able stop on the highway w/O anybody driving on us. I shut and restarted the engine couple of times w/O any impact. Each time engine started as if the accelerator pedal would be pushed down. I started the car and pushing the brake pedal hard I was able to control the truck and drive to next red lights. After some braking and restarting the car was again suddenly back in control. The defect described above could easily cause a crash with serious injury or even death when happening in a heavy traffic or bad weather conditions. We don't dare to drive the truck before it is the defect is identified and fixed. It will be important to understand what caused the problem and how it was fixed. I have notified Toyota dealer and they will pick up the truck tomorrow.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Jan 042007

Tacoma 6-cyl

I wanted to write you to let you know that I have a '06 Tacoma double cab and I am experiencing the "lurch" problem. I have around 2000 miles on my truck. I thought it was just me being picky, but it actually feels like it doesn't want to stop at times. I have noticed that with the ac or heat on, if I are sitting at a red light, and don't have my foot firmly, I mean firmly planted on the brake, it wants to jump forward. It will do this a couple of times if the light is red for a while. Also, if I am driving through a parking lot at slow speeds, it tends to "lurch" forwards at times, thus causing me to "play" with the brake and gas. Not sure if this is related or not, but also, if I am riding at about 34-45 mph and then release the gas, the engine feels like it stalls, but it doesn't. the rpms drop, then level off again as it coast.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 272006

Tacoma 6-cyl

I have an '06 Toyota Tacoma that "lurches" when at a stop but still in drive. After a few seconds from coming to a stop, the vehicle idles higher and if the brakes are not depressed to the floor the vehicle will move forward.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Oct 242006

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I have experienced a lurching problem in my 2006 sport 4 door Tacoma. The first time it happened, I rear ended a vehicle causing $1500 damage to the Tacoma and $1200 to the other vehicle. I also had a witness that saw my foot on the brake pedal after impact. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and the accident reported to Toyota Canada and the ministry of transportation. A third party investigator/engineering was sent to check the vehicle and found no error codes. I was told there was no problem. Two months later the truck lurched again at an intersection. This time I shoved the truck into neutral. I observed the rpms climb to 3000 RPM then drop off. The Toyota dealership (northside Toyota) checked the vehicle over and said they found no problem. Note: The vehicle had roughly 10,000 kilometers at that time. I also found myself riding the brakes more then I have ever on any vehicle I've owned. We have since traded the vehicle in for a 2007 Tacoma thinking this problem is one of a kind issue. I told the dealership why I was trading it in. We no longer trusted the 2006. They had no qualms doing the trade, obviously thinking there was no issue. I took a major hit for depreciation on a truck that had one oil change. That 2006 is still sitting on their lot. To say the least I am not pleased, but don't have the means to pursue this. Also the stress got to us.

- Sault Ste Marie, 00, USA

Feb 132006

Tacoma

Me and my family was out on 2/13/07 and was coming up to a stop light. The gas on my 2006 Toyota Tacoma would not let off. I applied brakes, this would not disengage the gas. A car was in front of me. I was able to put the truck in neutral and turn into a side road before hitting car. While in neutral RPM's were high causing the rev limiter to kick in. Cut ignition switch off. Restarted truck and was okay. Took this truck to dealership on 2-14-07 they could not make it happen again. They contacted Toyota. On 2-15-07 Toyota had not contacted them back. I called Toyota myself and was given a case number on 2-15-07. This is 2-20-07 and Toyota has not contacted me on this issue. I have called them back and E-mailed with no response. This is a very serious situation and could get someone killed. This has happened again since then.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Oct 272006

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Sudden acceleration for the third time in this vehicle. Driving on a mountainous road about 30 mph. Truck moved to the side going up an incline for my husband to pass him. He accelerated and the gas pedal "stuck". applied the brakes with no disengaging of the gas pedal. Turned the key off and on so as not to lose the power steering. This continued for several minutes. When we were on a straightaway, he turned the key off and finally the gas pedal disengaged. Two times previously Toyota has replaced the cruise control. This is not a cruise control issue. This is a gas pedal issue. I was told previously the mat was under the gas pedal. This is hardly the problem. The brakes were again red hot when my husband tried to stop the truck. We will be in touch with Toyota again this a.M. this vehicle is a death trap and needs to be put down! see also ODI 10158925 and 10149327

- Lansing, NC, USA

Mar 062006

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

: the contact stated while depressing the accelerator pedal, the throttle sticks. After the throttle sticks, the RPM's range high and do not decrease. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. Although, the dealer knew the problem persisted with the speed control and the electrical system, the problem could not be remedied by the dealer. Updated 03/28/06.

- Breckenridge, CO, USA

Jan 062006

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

Engine RPM hangs when shifting from 4th to 5th gear, clutch has long delay to engagement in sub-zero temp. Dealer says these are normal.

- Whitefish, MT, USA

Feb 142006

Tacoma 6-cyl

Brakes failed causing a crash. The vehicle was totaled.

- Charlotte, NC, USA