2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Sep 072016

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Apr 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The dealer was unable to supply the parts for an extended period of time. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was contacted and was unable to supply the parts for the recall repair within a reasonable time frame. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Sep 152015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Cpsc: Toyota Tacoma: Consumer stated he experienced sudden acceleration, as well as frame corrosion, that allowed for the rack and pinion to wear and loosen prematurely. The consumer stated as a result, he experienced greater steering effort, reduced vehicle self-centering and noise in the front suspension.

- Pikeswille, TN, USA

Oct 232015

Car at approximately 2 mph at indoor parking garage. My foot was not on the gas pedal when car accelerated suddenly. Turned ignition off and was able to stop car before impact with several other vehicles.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 092015

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle and make contact with a guard rail before crashing into a brick wall. During the incident, the vehicle sustained significant damage to the front end but the air bags did not deploy. The driver suffered an injury to the left eye. A police report was filed. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 082015

Tacoma 5-cyl

Original recall 09V388000 for speed control was remedied by modification to the gas pedal and replacement or repurchase of the floor mats. On my truck, I accepted their fixes. Since then, the replacement floor mat has torn and is once again loose and a risk to being stuck in my gas pedal. Of note is that the replacement floor mats were much lower quality (cheap fix) than the original floor mats and had I known this I probably would have asked for the repurchase option. Either way, the existing floor mats are sub-standard and pose as risk which should require replacement with a mat the quality of the original mats or better. I have pictures I'd like to send you that make it abundantly clear.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Nov 262014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I was commuting to my home mid-afternoon on interstate hwy 94 when the traffic ahead of me began to slow. As I approached the slowing traffic ahead of me I removed my foot from the acceleration pedal and began to coast to a stop when unexpectedly my truck began to accelerate very quickly. I immediately began to apply the brakes using both feet, my hands gripping the top half of the steering wheel with my shoulders thrust against the back of my seat. I stayed on the brakes the entire time that it took for me to have traveled the 50-60 feet before I hit the vehicle that had now come to a stop. It was only after I collided with the vehicle ahead of me that my truck stopped accelerating. For that entire time I was on the brakes, the tires screeching so loudly that the person in the vehicle that I hit heard them prior to the impact. This incident has shaken me personally and I no longer have any confidence in my truck so I no longer drive it. I have contacted Toyota and they have issued to me a case number for this incident and have sent to me a consent form to allow them to download data from the vehicle's event data recorder as well as to physically inspect the vehicle. I did initially schedule a diagnostic appointment with my local Toyota dealership where I bought the vehicle new but they would not perform any diagnostic work as a result of the vehicle having been in an accident. They gave me the telephone number for Toyota corporate to call. The vehicle that I hit sustained $1,100 worth of damage. What are my options in this matter concerning my vehicle and the damage to the vehicle that I hit.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Aug 012014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. I took it to my local Toyota dealer in August to address the recalls needing to be done. They tell me they are backed up trying to get recalls fixed. It is now November and have not been called yet. Now the leaf springs are on recall. I replaced one leaf spring in September 2014 due to it snapping.will I get reimbursed from Toyota for this repair"? I have not heard from my local Toyota dealer as to when they can fix the recalls, they said they will call me when they can get me in. What year will that be? will my second leaf spring snap and puncture the tank before it gets repaired" or will the frame possible rust out and fall on the leaf springs....... I love Toyota Tacoma, disappointed in the follow thru/timeliness on fixing these problems.

- Portage, MI, USA

Oct 162013

Tacoma 6-cyl

On October 2013 I approached a red light (no car in front of me) the road surface was wet and the ABS kicked in. When I applied the brake hard, the engine started to accelerate and I couldn't hold the truck back. I went through the red light avoiding an accident. I called the Toyota dealer and was told that I probably did not press down on the brake hard enough. On January 2014 the same thing occurred. Here again I was fortunate that another vehicle was not in front of me and this time I went through a stop sign. I called the dealer and had it checked out. They found nothing wrong. March 15th it happened again. Once again I was lucky that no vehicle was in front of me, but I now brake way in advance of a light or stop sign because of fear. This time when the engine started to accelerate I got off the brake and went right back on and the engine stopped accelerating. I once again put it in the garage and they found nothing wrong. I think that the unintentional acceleration is triggered when hard pressure is applied to the brakes when the ABS kicks in. I'm not a rookie driver. I've been driving Tacoma for over 30 years. This is my 4th one. After happening three times, it is definitely a problem with the truck. This is a possible serious accident waiting to happen. What can I do to get Toyota to correct this problem? thank you

- Denver, PA, USA

Nov 092012

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, the engine roared loudly as the tires began squealing. As the contact turned to see if there was something behind the vehicle, his foot haphazardly slipped off the brake pedal and the vehicle rapidly accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The driver of the second vehicle was injured. The vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure recurred two months later. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 132,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Feb 192013

Letter submitting a copy of letter he sent to the Toyota claims department for reimbursement of repair expenses to the used 2006 Toyota Tacoma he recently purchased; vehicle was in crash previous owner ignored two recalls on vehicle the consumer stated when he applied the brake, to stop a traffic light, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the rear of a vehicle, that was already sitting at the light.

- Warrensville, NC, USA

Dec 242012

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while standing in the driver's side doorway the vehicle accelerated independently, rolling over the contact's foot. He was able to jump inside and bring the vehicle to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, after one month in the dealer's possession they were unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer referred the contact to the manufacturer, who stated that they would not offer any assistance until the contact signed a release form so they could examine the black box. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 232013

Finally did floor mat recall work done on my 2006 Tacoma. New floor mat is thin, flimsy, nothing like original thick all weather floor mat. I also want to add, there was nothing wrong with the original design aw floor mat for Tacoma vehicles, there was absolutely no interference with the accelerator pedal, and that the only reason I changed the mats was due to the mat ribs starting to break on the driver's side. In addition, the campaign called for the floor carpet to be vacuum cleaned and shampooed, and none of this was done. The dealer simply swapped-out the floor mats and charged-out $185 to "recall work", I don't even think they did any pedal adjustment. Here's the real problem: The new, thin, flimsy floor mat uses the old floor mat retainer hooks that were intended for the thick all weather floor mats. These floor mat hooks hurt my feet when driving barefoot, but more importantly, they can, they will, and they have caught and hooked-up the heel of my shoes on occasion. I am a very safe driver, do not tailgate vehicles, and I tell you now, these hooks have caused me to get into embarrassing situations and very near accidents due to my shoe getting caught in the hooks and not being able to brake properly and on time. If I modify the hooks or cut them, there is a good chance that the new mat will slide-up under the pedals, preventing use of the brakes and not being able to stop the vehicle. I will not do this, I will not assume this responsibility. At this present situation, at this present design, the liability rests with the manufacturer and the authorization for this recall design modification. As I mentioned earlier, there was no problem with the original design for this specific year/make/model; however, the recall modification did create a problem where none existed, and made the situation worse than original.

- Kailua-Kona, HI, USA

Mar 042013

Tacoma 6-cyl

As I was rolling down hill and applying the brakes, the truck suddenly accelerated. As I pressed the brakes harder the anti-lock brakes activated and the truck continued to move forward for a short distance, almost into on coming traffic, while the engine could be heard loud as if the gas peddle was being pushed although the brakes were being applied only. Scary! uncontrollable forward movement and acceleration while braking.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jan 292006

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while the vehicle was coming to a stop, an odd noise was heard coming from the driveshaft. The contact also stated that acceleration suddenly increased up to 7 mph higher than what the speed control was set to. In addition, when the wind shifted the vehicle, the front stabilizer bar rubbed against the tires and caused a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated there was no failure with the vehicle. The dealer gave him another vehicle to test drive and stated if that vehicle has the same issue then that was the design of all of the vehicles. The contact test drove the vehicle and experienced the same failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 102,000. Updated 03/07/13 the consumer the driveshaft was replaced.. the failure felt like the vehicle was rear-ended by another vehicle.

- Coco, FL, USA

Aug 192012

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that immediately after starting the vehicle and while secured in park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact mentioned that although the brakes were engaged the vehicle was able to accelerate to abnormally high speeds. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into three different cement embankments in a parking lot. The contact sustained injuries to his spine. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection of the acceleration failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Sep 112012

Tacoma 6-cyl

While driving on interstate 15 I accelerated to pass a car in front of mine, approximately 65 mph, I signal to the left, moved to left lane while I accelerated, when I cleared the car on my left I released the gas pedal, the truck kept on accelerating without my foot on the pedal, I looked and there was no interference of any floor mats luckily my truck is manual transmission and I shifted to neutral while the truck kept on accelerating. I taped the gas pedal and truck decelerated. This has happened a few times since I bought the truck I am the only owner of the truck and I bought it brand new from. After talking to a few dealerships and Toyota care, they keep on telling me that it's the mats, but I have replaced the mats already and the issue is still there. No help from Toyota.

- Surprise , AZ, USA

Mar 022012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle crashed into a gate although he had engaged the brakes. A police report was filed and the contact sustained bruising and a contusion to the chest. As a result, the contact was hospitalized to treat his injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 39,525. Updated 04/06/12 the consumer stated Toyota inspected the vehicle on March 20, 2012, but has not made a decision. Repairs should be completed by April 4, 2012 updated 04/6/12

- North Providence, RI, USA

Dec 092011

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle unexpectedly increased acceleration upon engaging the brake pedal. The vehicle failed to reduce speed and crashed into the rear end of a vehicle. A police report was not filed of the incident. There was no personal injury. The contact's front bumper was damaged and would need to be replaced. An appointment was scheduled for the necessary repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 35,600. Consmer stated as approaching stoplight taped on the brake truck accelerated an hit the car stopped in front of them. Updated 1/20/2012 updated 01/27/12

- Concord , CA, USA

Dec 012011

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Toyota Tacoma on the interstate at approximately 65 mph. I was using cruise control and I merged into the passing lane to get over for a highway patrol that had a truck pulled over. I accelerated to pass another truck and when I went to slow down after passing the truck suddenly started accelerating by itself and I could not get the brakes to work. I thought something was wrong with the cruise control so I pushed the button to turn it off but it continued to accelerate. I was suddenly going over 90 mph and I could not stop. I was pushing the brakes and nothing was happening, just fighting against the acceleration. Finally I punched the accelerator with my foot and it felt like it came un-stuck or something. I previously took the truck in for a recall to cut off the gas pedal so it would not get stuck on the floor mat, so my pedal has already been shortened. I have owned this vehicle since it was new in 2006 and have never had anything like this happen. It was as if there was a computer glitch or something and it was just driving itself.

- Laramie, WY, USA