2006 Toyota Tacoma miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Nov 252015

Took truck in for frames inspection--dealer says I get a new frame--no cost. Dealer is backing out of their word because campaign ended 3 months later--was told campaign would be good for several more year. Service adviser never checked ending date. Emergency brake cables are rusted again--fixed several times--poor product. Rear differential cover plug rusted beyond able to remiove to change fluid--another huge rust issue with Tacoma trucks--not just the frame. The steering mechanism, timing belt pulleys, wiring supports, etc --anything that is metal is corroded because of the poor quality of steel--just not the frame. The timing pulleys were so corroded that they cut my bel--lucky for me it still had 50% of it remaining and did not blow engine--truck had 63,000 miles on it at time. Told to bring truck in for rear springs campaign--I did--they don't have the in stallion kits--been back ordered for months. Campaign says they could rupture the gas tank and end in disaster--any you don't have parts!!!

- Lakemore, OH, USA

Jun 292016

My truck got two recalls 1) due to rusty frame 2) rear leaf spring and Toyota replaced both last March 2015. This was done at metro Toyota in brookpark road cleveland Ohio. However, the strap that hold the gasoline tank were also rusty but was not replaced. Just this June 29, 2016, I noticed that something was hanging underneath the truck's bed. One of the strap was broken and the gasoline tank was loose and already bouncing and about to fall as the other strap was about to give way too. I was just lucky that day as I noticed it before any severe accident happened while on the road. I just don't know since when the strap was broken but noticed the truck rear became too bouncy while on motion. I think the strap should have been replace too when Toyota replace the frame and the rear leaf spring. Not replacing the strap put my life was placed more in danger as anytime if the tank fall off, it will cause fire and might even involve innocent people that are driving next to me. I was not able to take a phot of the broken strap but I went straight to metro Toyota for a walk in service. I was told that it was a safety concern and can drive my car. I don't have any choice but to get it fixed but I was charged with all the cost. I grateful that nothing happened with that condition but not happy with the recall process. I was told the strap was not part of the recall. But to me that is the most critical part that should have been the priority for replacement than the rear leaf spring. Leaf spring are too thick that won't give way compared to the strap the hold the tank full of gasoline. This will obviously cause fire once it fall off the road while in motion. I have the copy of the receipt that will serve as the proof of my complain.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Mar 102016

Takata recall I received a letter through mail saying that I was going to receive the vehicles rear leaf spring and it has been months already that I haven't. I called customer service already and they say it hasn't reached them yet. I just want to know what else can I do and will I get it.

- Arleta, CA, USA

Jun 282016

I own a 2006 Tacoma, with 67,800 miles on it. I purchased it from a dealership in 2013; it had 34,000 miles on it then. I received correspondence from Toyota in 2014 that I needed to have the frame inspected for excessive rust. The same dealership did the inspection and found it eligible only for the undercoat spray. Last week, the dealership replaced the spring leaf (pursuant to a separate recall) and advised me that the frame has excessive rust, cracks and perforation. It's clear that the undercoat "solution" was no solution at all and that it did not resolve the underlying problem. The dealership was unsympathetic and defensive about their workmanship spraying the undercoat. I see that there is a state class action somewhere down South -- Arkansas" Alabama" -- but that doesn't help me (I'm in the northeast) and I depend exclusively on this truck. Can NHTSA help?

- Jacksonville, VT, USA

Jun 272016

I have a large rusted out hole in my frame. You probably have many other complaints registered. Toyota has taken the position they no longer bear any responsibility. I am attaching the letter sent to Toyota with pictures explaining my position.

- Maggie Valley, NC, USA

May 232016

Rusting frame. My mechanic noted it during a routine maintenance and suggested I take it to Toyota as he had one other customer with the same problem and that Toyota had replaced the defective frame. My experience was different. I was told that Toyota did conduct a "campaign" to inspect affected vehicles in the 2005 to 2008 range. They claimed they sent out recall notices but I received no such notice. Toyota now refuses to inspect or remedy the problem. There is no way of telling how many other Toyota trucks from this era are still on the road and with the possibility of a frame failure while traveling on a roadway. Toyota's decision to arbitrarily set an expiration date is no way to treat a safety problem. The fact that Toyota had a campaign is itself an admission that a problem exists. Now it needs to be fixed.

- Haleiwa, HI, USA

May 062016

Vehicle experienced unintended acceleration while attempting to park in front of residence. The break system will not stop the vehicle...only turning off the ignition will stop it. This is the fourth such incident with this vehicle. NHTSA ODI number 10253526 was filed on 01/01/2009 when property damage occured; NHTSA ODI number 10284909 was filed on 09/22/2009. Following these incidences, the vehicle was inspected by a Toyota regional representative. The dealership assured us that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. Really??

- Salem, VA, USA

Feb 062016

Rust perforation of frame. Toyota is aware that the frames did not receive adequate corrosion resistant protection during production and issued a service campaign to have inspected. Toyota is only replacing frames if they exhibit perforation at the time of inspection. If no perforation, they are spraying corrosion resistant compound which is not adequate to remedy the improper manufacturing of the equipment. See photo of vehicle frame only 14 months after application of corrosion resistant compound.

- La Plata, MD, USA

Mar 152016

My Tacoma was recalled for rust on the frame. A new frame was ordered but I was informed that I would have to pay for any rusted parts that needed to be replaced when the frame was installed. I didn't think you paid for safety recall work. I called Toyota and asked for a guideline as to what costs would be mine and I hoped a little support in dealing with the dealer. I don't think Toyota trusts the dealer. They were no help. This safety repair would cost me thousands with there being no limits as to what the total would be. If you replace a frame on a 10 year old truck you can expect some rusted bolts and fittings. I don't think you should be charged for a safety recall, but the cost would be open ended. There are no limits or criteria as to what would covered and what is not. Toyota does not seem to really want to correct this defect. The letter from Toyota stated that the dealer will provide an appropriate remedy at no charge to me. What do I do? there doesn't seem to be any help coming.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 042016

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received a recall notice, but the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to do the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The NHTSA campaign number and component were unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 05/06/16

- Disputanta, VA, USA

Jan 272016

Early in 2014 I received a notice from Toyota about a concern with the frame rusting out to the point that the vehicle would become unsafe to drive. In September of 2014 I had the frame inspected by prime Toyota in saco, Maine, where I had purchased the vehicle new in October of 2006. The frame was inspected and found to be free of concerns regarding the frame rust issue. I was told that if the frame did not show signs of rust it would be resprayed with rust proofing material. The respraying was completed in September of 2014. In October of 2015 I was noticing a rattle under by truck and crawled under to see what was making the rattle. I found a loose heat shield around the muffler and at that time noticed that the rust proofing material that had been applied was almost all gone. I brought it back to the dealer for an oil change and asked them to take a look at the frame. I was then informed that the frame had a perforation. I called Toyota customer service Toyota 1-800-331-4331 with case #1601273298 and spoke to case mgr nicole. I was informed that because they had resprayed the frame they would not do anything about the frame rust. My position is that either the inspection was not done correctly and or the rust proofing was improperly applied. Hence the rust proofing falling off and a rusty frame. I had called a second time with the same result. I was not informed at the time that if they resprayed the frame I would forfeit all further claims for the rusty frame. The issue of 2005 - 2009 Toyota Tacoma frame rust is widely known and documented. Attached are the service records from 2014 that the inspection was done and the rust proofing applied. Nowhere in there does it say that there is no guarantee for the rust proofing.

- Saco, ME, USA

Feb 252016

Dealer found heavy rust. Ordered new frame to be covered under warranty. Corporate denied responsibility

- Babylon, NY, USA

Jul 012006

Toyota sent me a notice last year called a "limited service campaign" for "certain 2005 through 2008 model year Tacoma vehicles corrosion-resistant compound application to the vehicle's frame". the notice said that these Tacoma' frames were rusting more than usual due to insufficient corrosion protection. The campaign applied only to cold weather states like Minnesota. It went on to say that I should bring my Tacoma to my local Toyota dealer and have the frame inspected for damage. Jan. 2015: I brought my Tacoma to maplewood Toyota in Minnesota. They told me that the frame was indeed damaged with holes and perforations already present. They said Toyota would replace the frame and that it would take several months for the frame to arrive, plus time to replace it. We were going to move to Colorado in the spring so I decided to have the work done there. Maplewood Toyota said that was fine. We moved to loveland, Colorado on June 19, 2015. I then contacted the Toyota national headquarters and explained the situation to them and asked if I could bring my Tacoma to pedersen Toyota in fort collins, Colorado, which is right next to loveland. They said ok. Their findings were the same: Damaged frame with holes and perforations. They also said the truck was unsafe to drive and they would give me a rental for the 5 months. But then they said that while they would pay for the frame, I would have to pay for any rusted-on parts they would break, and I should expect to pay 2 to 3 thousand dollars for that! I called the national Toyota headquarters and they said the same thing. They also said Toyota is not admitting to defective corrosion protection, and that it isn't a recall. I told them it wasn't right to make me pay for parts attached to the frame that they break because they did a defective job in the first place. They said there was nothing they could do! please help me.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jun 012014

I have been experiencing significant rusting of my frame. I have complained to Toyota about it with little satisfaction. I also waiting excessively about rear leaf springs recall notices. Remedy taking too long. I also issues with tsb but Toyota placing burden on owner, not company.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jun 262015

The clutch master cylinder cracked.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Jun 122014

Frame rust deemed so bad by Toyota tech that he refused to put the truck on a rack for inspection and service.

- Berkeley , CA, USA

Feb 042014

Tacoma 4-cyl

Although I've under coated my Tacoma every two years the frame is rusting badly. I'm afraid soon the truck may not pass inspection. I entered a case number with corporate Toyota of 1401210260. I was instructed to have it inspected by a Toyota dealer. On Tuesday, Feb 4, 2014, the truck was inspected by allegheny Toyota in franklin, pa. On the 5th of Feb. (yesterday) the service manager called and informed me that Toyota would not rectify the problem but I could, at my own expense, cover the rust problem with some kind of coating. There have been many complaints about the frame rust problem with the 2006 Tacoma. In the past Toyota admitted the same problems with earlier built Tacoma and corrected them either by replacing the frames or monetary compensation. I would like my truck repaired. Soon the vehicle will be unsafe to drive. Thank you.

- Emlenton, PA, USA

Mar 262010

On the 26th of March 2010 about 3:00 pm, I was driving my 2006 Toyota Tacoma and got onto interstate 80 going West and began to merge into traffic. As I accelerated to get in front of a white semi-tractor trailer, I realized I was accelerating faster than I was pushing down on the gas pedal. My truck accelerated as if it wanted to go faster than I did, and so I let my foot off the gas pedal. But, my Toyota Tacoma still increased in speed, and the gas pedal seemed soft as if the truck was in cruise control. Realizing that my speed was 80 and rising rapidly, I pushed down on the brake pedal. The car barely slowed down and sped right back up continuing to accelerate as soon as I removed my foot from the brake. So, I pressed down the brake pedal with all my force, but the truck did not slow down sufficiently to safely pull over. So, then, I put one foot on the brake and used the other to push down the emergency brake. The truck decelerated enough to allow me to pull over into the far right lane. The car continued to roll despite application of both brakes, and so I threw the vehicle into park. This shut off the engine. I had my truck towed to the dealership and nothing has been resolved as of today.

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 232010

Tacoma 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Tacoma. Consumer states notice received regarding floor mats but no other course of action has been taken.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Dec 121995

My son took his new 3 month old 2006 Toyota Tacoma truck back to the dealer on 12-12-05 for "high idling" and "when accelerating customer having a hard time stopping it" according to the invoice.this vehicle went out of control two times. The first time it happened on a surface street speeding up from 40 mph to 80 mph and the second time he was on the highway. It sped up from 70 mph to 110. Both times my son shifted into neutral - instinctive reaction - and the truck did slow down. Had the traffic been bad, he and others, would have been killed for sure. Both times, he took his foot off of the accelerator and he could see it moving down towards the floor all by itself. It still has an idling problem. He was told that there was nothing wrong; by the dealer at the time. Nothing has been done to correct the problems with the high idling and accelerating problem. This model is not on the recall list. My son is deaf and he can be reached by email.

- Valencia, Ca. , CA, USA