2007 Toyota Tacoma seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Tacoma:

2007 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 232011

Tacoma 6-cyl

The air bag light came on while driving. My passenger looked it up in the manual and it stated that the vehicle was to be returned to the dealership as soon as possible for maintenance. The problem turned out to be the spiral cable for the air bag had broken. This is a huge safety issue, as the air bag will not deploy when this cable breaks. Fortunately for me, this happened prior to the expiration of the warranty for passenger restraints, as I see this is a pretty expensive repair. I have looked at this site as well as others and see this is a common problem, and have to wonder why there has not been a recall on this part. Why aren't safety features always covered in all cars, as long as they are on the road?

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jul 172011

Tacoma 6-cyl

The air bag light on my 2007 Toyota Tacoma prerunner double cab 4X2 came on and will not go off. The Toyota dealership planned to charge me $115 to diagnose the problem. They did not recognize the code and charged me $59.50 stating that they would call back after speaking with technical support. Later they said the problem is the spiral cable and quoted me $562.44 to replace it. The problem occurred in July 2011 at 59,000 miles. I plan to fix it soon for 2 reasons: My life is worth more than $562 and I believe in Virginia the light needs to be off to pass the yearly state inspection. This is definitely a recall and a safety issue, the dealership let me know when I took my truck in that the airbag will not deploy without fixing this issue. My truck is practically still new, I have never had an issue like this before with any of my other vehicles.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Sep 202011

Tacoma 4WD

No issues have occurred with my truck until now. Just recently the air bag light on my 2007 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4X4 came on for a few seconds when turning the truck on, it stayed on for a few moments, longer than usual then turned off. While driving the light came back on and would not go off. Took to dealership; they say this is a spiral cable issue - cost to fix is $400. Truck has approximately 76000 miles on it. Doing more research on Toyota Tacoma discussion forums online there are a few 100 other people out there that have this exact same issue. This is definitely a recall and a safety issue, the dealership let me know when I took my truck in that the airbag will not deploy without fixing this issue. My truck is practically still new, I have never had an issue like this before with any of my other vehicles. I will be sending a letter to Toyota about this issue as well.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Aug 112011

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. The contact noticed that the air bag light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact believed the failure to be a manufacturing defect because the air bags had never deployed. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Form returned no change

- Harrisonville, MO, USA

May 022011

Airbag light came on dash- took to dealer because manual said to-$450 later I am told is a spiral cable in the steer column needed to be replaced-was told only option was to replace-otherwise, airbag would not deploy and light would stay on dash-warranty should cover this type of thing forever. No reason consumer should put out $450 for a safety malfunction.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 132011

2007 Toyota Tacoma SRS light is on 66,000 miles. No accidents to set off airbags. Should be under warranty. With light off the airbag system suppose to not work at all.

- Greenwich, OH, USA

Jul 012010

Air bag light came on at 62,000 miles. Dealer determined the spiral cable assembly in the steering wheel failed due to broken wire. This is a safety defect that should never have happened. Dealer said Toyota had no recall or service bulletin regarding this problem and they were aware of other failures. Dealer is Toyota of newport.

- Narragansett, RI, USA

Sep 192009

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Driving my 2007 Toyota Tacoma (V6, 4-wd, automatic, access cab), I experienced sudden unintended acceleration as I was turning from w. seventh avenue in eugene, Oregon onto northbound interstate-105. I was traveling at a safe rate of speed (approx. 20 mph) as I made the turn from the surface street to the left-hand, curving, on-ramp which is the beginning of an elevated freeway structure. It was mid-morning and, although there had been some light rain overnight, the pavement was dry. About halfway through the curve the Tacoma inexplicably accelerated. The rear of the truck swung out to the left at which point it was moving sideways up the on-ramp. The front of the truck jumped the curb and the truck proceeded 20-30 feet sideways along the curb and eventually slid up a concrete wall where the curb transitions to the bridge rail of the elevated structure. Just short of the start of the actual bridge railing the front right wheel and fender struck a tree. At this point, the vehicle bounced back, continued to rotate to the left and came to a rest, straddling the transition wall, having turned 150-170 degrees. At this point I realized the motor was still racing and I switched the engine off. My foot was on the brake pedal. The air bags did not deploy. No one was injured, no other vehicles were involved. Police were called to provide traffic control while the vehicle was removed from the scene but no report was filed. I have lived within two-and-A-half miles of this intersection for more than 36 years. I have been through this intersection thousands of times as a private citizen and in my role as a transportation planner. I have been and am baffled by this incident. The collision damage was repaired. Other than that all parts are original. Original equipment Toyota floor mats had been removed previously.

- Eugene, OR, USA