2007 Toyota Tacoma steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Tacoma:

2007 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Tacoma

Power steering unresponsive at times. 71,000 miles.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Mar 012016

Tacoma

Steering is very loose and unresponsive. Feels like the wheel could come off on the left side.

- Stilwell, KS, USA

Mar 032016

Tacoma

The frame is rusting out on my Tacoma that I purchased and Toyota says since they inspected it 9 month ago it no longer qualifies for frame replacement program. It had not been driven under any negative road corrosive conditions in this time, and this frame was I believe rusted when inspected and not discovered because it has rusted from the inside out. Now the power steering has gone out and I have been experiencing acceleration problems with it since purchasing it. I contacted Toyota about the frame rust and was told basically too bad so sad. They have told me they filed my complaint under file #1603091915 at their national headquarters. The frame metal is defective. The power steering has quit working at approximately 75000 miles, and the truck accelerates under its own power when shifting into 5th gear.

- Durango, IA, USA

Mar 142016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 10 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the steering became difficult to operate. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Mar 042016

Tacoma

Steering has become very difficult. Parking, changing lanes, and turning have all become quite a dangerous chore--. to the point I do not feel safe even operating the truck.

- Titusville, NJ, USA

Jul 212014

Tacoma

Steering is hard, binding up at several points in a 90 degree turn, and then the wheel does not recover automatically as turn is completed. It would stay in the "turned" position if I did not manually return the steering wheel to the "straight" position.

- Kent, OH, USA

Jun 262015

Tacoma

Steering actually locked up requiring extra effort to make a right curve. After stopping and looking for aa problem working the wheel back and forth freed up the steering enough to drive home. An internet search found hundreds of complaints about this issue with Tacoma. Lower steering U joint rusts and seizes.. lubed the shaft and plan to replace the steering knuckle.

- Cincinnatus, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Tacoma

While making a turn on to the entrance ramp to the highway steering wheel became hard to move.

- Webster, MA, USA

Jun 142015

Tacoma

Steering wheel intermittently tightens up while driving making it rather difficult to turn. Seems to be related to a worn intermediate steering shaft. Performance tends to improve upon adding lubricant to the associated U-joint, however over time this part begins to tighten up again. This part will have to be replaced...updated 09/22/15

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Nov 082014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The contact was concerned that the failure could result in a crash. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. The VIN was not available.

- Saint Johns, IN, USA

Jun 032015

Tacoma

Try to make small adjustment with steering wheel and the steering appeared to fight me. When first starting the truck and go to back up, the wheel is difficult to move. After rocking the wheel back and forth a number of times the steering seems a little more normal. This same wheel fight can come on even when you are on the road and traveling the speed limit. Since this happens while driving, I am worried that it could seize up and cause an accident. If it was just my vehicle I would just pay and get it fixed, as I am currently doing, but the internet says there are a lot of people with the very same complaint and they have contacted you folks. The range of model year appears to be 2005 and up. Please look into this as it is a very dangerous problem and people could die.

- White Haven, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Tacoma

Steering randomly gets stiff and almost locks. Rusted ujoint in intermediate steering shaft.

- Marysville, MI, USA

May 022015

Tacoma

The intermediate steering shaft has corroded at the U-joint due to insufficient protection and poor design. This has resulted in stiff, jerky steering that poses a driving hazard, and is a significant expense to replace.

- Pleasantville, PA, USA

Feb 162015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Tight steering I thought due to extreme cold temps in February. Problem would resolve itself as the outside temps and/or engine temp increased. In April I was still having very tight steering intermittently especially on start up and in the morning (when my vehicle hadn't sat in the sun all day). Took it in to a private mechanic, was told the joints inside the steering shaft were seizing up and I needed a whole new steering shaft - total price $533.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Dec 152014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the steering wheel would become difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer wherethe technician diagnosed that the main steering shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,857. Updated 03/24/15 updated 6/19/2015

- Sudbury, VT, USA

Aug 012013

Tacoma

I first noticed that the steering on my 2007 Tacoma is very often extremely stiff turning in either direction last year. I brought it in to the dealer to check it out. Was told: "lower shaft starting to get stiff". was quoted a replacement/repair cost around $550. Could not afford that at the time. This problem had been intermittent but now happens nearly every time I use the vehicle. This is a safety issue that could lead to an accident. Looks like I will have to pay Toyota to fix this. My research indicates that the problem is with the "steering intermediate shaft number 2". it seems this part is either defective or poorly designed as there are numerous reports about this issue on many automotive websites which specifically cite this vehicle for a range of years from 2005 on.

- Charlemont, MA, USA

Jul 242014

Tacoma 6-cyl

On or about July 24, 2014, I noticed while pulling out of my driveway that my 2007 Toyota Tacoma trd extended cab with 62830 miles that the steering was quite hard to turn. But the problem seem to go away after a minute. This then continued to happen intermittently at various speeds for the next couple of weeks until I had near collision while driving out of town in New Jersey. While proceeding at an intersection at about 20 miles per hour and turning with multiple vehicles paralleled to me, I nearly swiped another vehicle on my right. This was because my steering became very stiff which made it very hard for me to turn the wheel. Driving my Tacoma had now become dangerous and I couldn't take any more chances. The next day I called Toyota dealership and set up an appointment to take my truck in for the following day. When I drop-off my vehicle, I indicated to the attendant that the intermediate steering shaft my be the culprit. This was because in doing some research I discovered that the same thing had happened to a multitude of people who own a Tacoma. Well my vehicle was repaired, with the root of the problem being the intermediate shaft. A repair that cost me $579 since as part of the repair they had to do a wheel alignment.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Tacoma

Similar to other complaints, the power steering becomes intermittent and it become very difficult to turn the truck when the power steering cuts out. This could potentially be very dangerous in certain driving situations. I am bringing the truck to Toyota for inspection and hoping Toyota will pay for the repair, as it seems to be a chronic issue for this year and model.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jul 292014

Tacoma 4-cyl

We were inspecting the underbody of our company owned Tacoma. There is major rust on the front frame, and the steering arm (A-arm?) where it attaches to the frame. The rust is substantial enough to allow possible separation of the arms from the frame. We did some internet research and see that corrosion was a problem with earlier models of the Tacoma. We will take this to the dealership to inspect but we thought it should be reported. It appears that if those connections fail stearing would be substantially impaired.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 222014

Tacoma 6-cyl

While driving onto entrance ramp of highway, attempting to merge onto traffic, the steering wheel became very stiff with loss of power steering. I pulled harder to enter highway and steering finally caught causing me to swerve over almost hitting vehicle in far left lane. Checked power steering and is full. Did some internet searches and have come up with several complaints of this same issue. The intermediate steering column becomes faulty and is dangerous. This can cause death or serious injury. Toyota should issue recall on this part and have replaced. Steering column joint is not protected from the elements and becomes rusted away.

- Round Top, NY, USA