2008 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tacoma:

2008 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

Apr 042016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The dealer indicated that the vehicle would need to receive a manufacturer recall remedy first for the undercoating. The manufacturer advised the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer; however, the dealer indicated that they did not have the coating for the repair for months. The contact went to a second dealer and the vehicle was placed on a lift to be coated. The part was on a national back order. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Fort Gay, WV, USA

May 182016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle failed inspection due to excessive corrosion on the rear cross member frame. The technician stated that the rear cross member frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,598.

- Lost Creek, KY, USA

Jan 052016

Tacoma

This truck was recalled for premature frame corrosion. At the dealer's inspection the vehicle was pronounced as being structurally sound. However, at the corporations expense the vehicle would be sent elsewhere for frame anti corrosion treatment. I picked up the truck a couple of days later and followed the instructions as far as allowing the treatment to cure outside for several days. This repair was done in January F this year. After several weeks it seemed as though the frame treatment had not cured as a strong chemical smell persisted which was physically nauseating. It is now May 5th and the vehicle is at the dealership (where the vehicle was purchased) for an unrelated recall repair. The service manager and mechanic who looked at the vehicle say the treatment will eventually cure and stop smelling. The Toyota corporation claims to have no responsibility in this matter. The dealer sent the vehicle out for a Toyota corporation authorized treatment that apparently did not work. This has made the vehicle not useful for me any longer; I don't expect to have to live with my primary vehicle having been made useless unless I intend to be made ill while driving it. The vehicle was more useful, even with minor frame corrosion, before this treatment was done and I fully expected to have the use for several more years.

- Somers, NY, USA

Jan 312016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at a low speed, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact was unable to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the seals were corroded and the power steering joint needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front driver side wheel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the repair did not correct the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 122016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame of the vehicle was rusted. The vehicle was treated for rust a year ago, but the solution used to coat the frame rubbed right off. The contact notified the manufacturer. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Mount Lookout, WV, USA

Feb 042016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V602000 (suspension) as well as a recall pertaining to the frame. The contact felt unsafe driving the vehicle. Due to the frame being rusted, the tires had to be replaced ten times. The contact felt that the leaf springs could snap, puncture the fuel tank, and possibly cause a fire. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle and the frame was ordered, but had not yet arrived. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000.

- Roscoe, NY, USA

Dec 042015

Tacoma

On Friday, December 4th I was driving my Tacoma pickup. When I had to stop in traffic I applied the brake. The pickup had unintentional acceleration rather than stopping. I was not going more than five mph. I was on a city street. There is damage to my pickup.

- Benbrook, TX, USA

Oct 302015

Tacoma

I purchased a brand new 2008 Toyota Tacoma. It came with geninue factory installed running boards. About a year ago I noticed pitting on the running boards (both sides of the vehicle) the corosion started at the rear of the boards (near the rear wheels). I brought the truck to the dealership where I purchased it. I inquired if the Tacoma was covered under any warranty or recall, since I've had several and one is still outstanding (Toyota is in process of deciding how to fix, something to do with a rear spring near gas tantk). This might be associated with my current problem with the-running boards on my truck! last week Wednesday I left my truck for repair with the dealership agreeing to pay $300 for restoring my running boards. By the way they guarantee their work for lifetime. I received a call from dealership the next day informing me that upon inspectioen of the running (Toyota genuine factory installed) boards that the problem was that both boards were corroded from within the parts and considered unsalvageable. If they did the work they could not guarantee the safety of the parts. In fact the boards could come off in the coming months. No warranty on doing this job. My wife & I are senior citzens and rely on using the running boards to gain entrance to the truck. Another concern I have if I hit something on the road and the defective running boards break off and hit another vehicle. The attitude from Toyota corporate was that they are not responsible if anything happens. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told that I would receive a callback with 24 hours. It has been 3 days and I've not heard back. My complaint is lodged against Toyota for making defective parts that could injury others. Toyota's indifference to my situation only incenses me because I thought I was buying a quality product.

- Poolesville, MD, USA

Feb 072015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I brought my truck in for the frame check. They said I was good for a frame spray. They sprayed my truck because I was told it was warrantied. I get my truck back and the spray is all over my garage my driveway my paint and rubs off by driving through snow. I was told some trucks come back after a year with bad frames with this treatment. How are they allowed to cover up such a safety hazard. I should have learned from my last Toyota frame that snapped on me as I was driving. But after there last recall I was thinking something changed. Turns out they made no changes to their frames even after all there issues. So I asked if I was to buy a brand new truck is there a new frame process.. guess what no change.

Feb 072015

Tacoma 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving down the road heard a loud snap. Truck skipped sideways like I hit a pothole. Found a broken driver side leaf spring. I reported it Toyota they said they didn't know how to fix it. So I went out and had 2 new springs put on for safety. I was then told they would pay me for the repair. Now because they don't kno the "remedy" to repair this. They won't do anything for me.

Feb 062015

Tacoma

My leaf spring snapped while driving down the road. And they still wont do anything for it. Because they don't know how to fix there own problem. Also they won't stand behind the there fake remedy for a frame that is going to break apart. They did on the 2001-2004 because they knew the spray does nothing but make it worse. 04-08 your on your own.

Nov 172014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

This Toyota Tacoma slid downgrade on black ice and there was no airbag deployment despite an end-for-end, backwards, downhill flip initiated at 40 mph, that caused the full weight of the vehicle to impact on the front bumper, dislocating all front bumper attachments from the front cross member of the vehicle's frame. This vehicle is at a salvage yard awaiting action by the insurance carrier... updated 12/17/14

- Saint Marys, WV, USA

Feb 012013

Excessive rust on frame.

- Amherst, OH, USA

May 012012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the sub frame was excessively corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,435.

- Oceana , WV, USA

Jan 262014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Air bags did not deploy in frontal crash.

- Contoocook, NH, USA

Jul 022013

Tacoma 6-cyl

My 2008 Toyota Tacoma has a factory bed extender. Which allows use to use the tailgate as part of the truck bed. Due to the small 5 ft bed. Load the weight of a rototiller into the truck cased the tailgate to bow and become unstable. They do not have any weight limit or restriction posted. If they sell parts to use the tailgate to support items it should not fail under such light loads. 2008 Toyota Tacoma tailgate is dangerously weak, and is unable to support what most consider normal weight for a truck tailgate. Although substandard design may be considered "buyer beware", truck buyers expect a tailgate to support the weight of normal truck use activities. Toyota provides no warning or caution anywhere that the tailgate is of insufficient strength to perform normal 1/2-ton truck duties, and typically (per internet forum threads) tells their customers that it is their problem and that they should not expect to be able to safely use the tailgate for anything more than hiding the inside of the bed. Since Toyota has produced a substandard designed part, they should have provided a visual warning on the part to alert customers to the danger their product imposes if used in a traditional manner. Since they did not do so, they should be held liable to provide a redesigned part to their customers or full restitution for the purchase price of the vehicles. A google or similar internet search on "Tacoma tailgate forum" will substantiate my statements beyond my personal experience with the tailgate bending.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Oct 152009

Tacoma

Fuel filler neck flap broke off and fell into the tank.gas mileage is terrible. Left turn signal stayed on and air conditioner was working intermittently. Took vehicle to champion Toyota on 10-15-09. Dealership stated that flap inside tank is normal... they repaired turn signal and stated that this could have caused the A/C to not work properly. Dealership stated that wires were burnt together causing the turn signal to stay on. Received vehicle back on 10-20-09. Also, I had taken the vehicle to dealership a few months prior to the 10-15-09 incident concerning A/C not working, they said they corrected problem. Also, tailgate has bowed after moving a light dryer. Dealer states that tailgate is not rated.

- Lamarque, TX, USA