2008 Toyota Tacoma drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tacoma:

2008 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments

May 182016

Part inside differential broke and punched hole in differential case. Differential could have locked up at high speed. I was lucky to discover that oil was leaking from the differential before an accident happened. Truck had less than 18,000 miles on odometer.

- Doniphan, MO, USA

Aug 152009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact smelled a fuel odor. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. On another occasion, when the clutch was shifted, a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle without warning. In addition, the contact mentioned that the clutch failed to switch gears intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle operating as designed, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Jackson, MO, USA

Nov 302012

It has happened twice too me truck is running fine and then check engine light comes on truck goes into a limp mode. Has done it twice once running about thirty miles per hour the second time running 70 mph in busy I-10 traffic in jax fl rush hour bad news. Truck never shuts off goes to a idle speed and will not run over 20 miles per hour maybe if you lucky. No throttle response it will only have a idle. Never shuts off.

- Jacksonville Fl, FL, USA

Feb 172012

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Heard humming noise from front end and took my truck to my mechanic who found excessive play in the front wheels.he said the wheels could come off and that it was dangerous to drive. He replaced both wheel bearing and hub assemblies. Test drive confirmed diagnosis.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Aug 012011

Rear differential whines/roars at speeds 50-70 which indicates there is a failed component within. Toyota issued technical service bulletin T-sb-0076-08 for problem. Dealer, john royberts Toyota of manchester, tn, attempted to repair but could not. Now, says all Tacoma have whine/howl, a normal condition. If this is true, then ever Tacoma has a potential problem of differential lockup while driving which could cause deadly accidents.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Sep 142008

Several Toyota models, including my 2008 Tacoma experience premature front wheel bearing and hub failures. Incidences have been reported for these models as far back as 2002 and the issue has not been resolved by Toyota. The failure in my vehicle was caught before becoming catastrophic, but as you might imagine, a front wheel bearing failure at high speed can be a devastating accident. This first failure on my vehicle was resolved at my expense in excess $800, but internet reports suggest this repair is not a fix. It is probable that this will occur again as Toyota has not fixed the problem, but is making repairs at the consumers cost. Please have Toyota stand behind their engineering failures.

- Chester, VA, USA

Jan 032010

High idle, truck wanting to run on at a higher RPM when shifting. Idle not dropping down between shifts. Excessive high idle when in second gear going down an incline, when motor should be at idle speed. Dangerous on snow/ice when you use the engine torque to slow the vehicle. Seems to be a iac (idle air control) issue, computer controlled. Having worked for a foreign car company for 16 years as a district service manager, I find this an odd problem, as the computer knows the car is warmed up, but continues to hold the iac valve open, causing a high idle. It appears to be a control (computer) issue.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Sep 222008

I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and it has vibration at different speeds, I have carried it to 2 Toyota dealerships and they both say they don't feel it, well they are lying because it is very noticeable. Every time I drive it, it vibrates. It does not feel like a tire vibration, more like a drive shaft vibration. As of now nothing has been done to correct this problem and it is getting a little worse everytime I drive it. I am very disappointed in Toyota for not trying to help me. I carried it to dave edwards Toyota in spartanburg, S.C. and Toyota of greer S.C. the same day of September 22,2008. I bought the truck in August 2, 2008. Why can I not get it fixed by Toyota? and now they are coming out saying the 2010 is on recall for vibration, it does not make any sense. I would hate to hire an attorney to clear this up but if you cannot get me any satisfaction I might not have any choice. At the present I hardly drive it at all and when I do it is short trips. I can't see paying for something I cannot drive. Please help me.

- Boiling Springs, SC, USA